Help. Need advice asap... TIA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Magic

Reaction score
This is for a neighbor and dear friend. Her QH paint has hives, all over. She purchased a 75 lb bale of hay from midwest hay, here in Ocala today and this is the first time she has purchased this. It is brohme/alfalfa hay from New Mexico and this is the first time she has given her horse this sort of hay. She wants to know if there is anything she can do for relief from this skin hives he has all over.

Anyone ever have anything like this and is there anything she can do tonight, without getting the farm vet out on the weekend rate? Scout is 1300 lbs and he's 15.2 hands. He's eight years old.

TIA

Lynn W.

Does anybody she know have any equi-hist? (Antihistamine granules). Can mix dosage amount according to the container with applesause and syringe into the mouth. My guys won't eat the stuff so that is how I administer it. If the horse is showing no other symptoms I would try an oral antihistamine. If the horse gets worse or if the breathing is affected on the horse at all, (watch for heavey type belly breathing), then just get the vet no matter what the cost for weekend rate. Good luck!

You can also use Benadryl. Don't know the dosage, but would give quite a bit. You can get in touch with Belinda Bagby, she could probably help you.

Pam

I had a quarter gelding that would do that some times. I would have to get him a steroid shot from the vets. It took care of it right away.

Latest posts

Back