Have you seen any book based movies lately?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
There's so many new ones that have been in the theater lately (Beautiful Creatures, Warm Bodies, Safe Haven), and more coming out in the near future.

Have you seen any of the new ones? How about older movies that were created from books?

I just got thro reading the Hunger Games trilogy. I watched the movie a few months ago and I was surprised when I read it at how closely the movie followed the book. Most movies based on books seem to be very loosely based on the original story but not this one. Years ago I read the Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Aule (hope I spelled the last name correctly) I loved the book so much I read all of the ones that came after and was very excited to go to the movie. In the end I was very disappointed because the movie was so poorly done even calling it a 'B' movie would have been kind.

On tv I watched "An Amish Murder" based on a book by Linda Castillo, was very pleased that the movie was so much like the book. Really enjoyed it.

I recently watch Practical Magic, and last night Memoirs of a Geisha was on, but I missed it. There was another movie I recently watched too, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was right now.

I watched Les Miserables in theater, but I haven't read the book yet, it's on my Kindle. An older movie I watched Now Is Good, based on the book Before I Die, both were very good, not sure if I would have found the movie as touching if I hadn't read the book. It's one of those tissue boxes movies/books!

Also watched Perks of Being a Wallflower, read the book first and then saw the movie. My sister and I both agreed it's one of the best over "books into movies" as far as being accurate and conveying the story/feeling of the book.

I want to read Warm Bodies I think before I watch the movie, but I might do it the other way round.

I so want to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The book is on my wishlist but I haven't gotten it yet. I read Warm Bodies after seeing the previews for it. Now whenever they show previews, I recognize exactly what part it is from the book. It looks like they kept it pretty close.

I just got thro reading the Hunger Games trilogy. I watched the movie a few months ago and I was surprised when I read it at how closely the movie followed the book. Most movies based on books seem to be very loosely based on the original story but not this one. Years ago I read the Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Aule (hope I spelled the last name correctly) I loved the book so much I read all of the ones that came after and was very excited to go to the movie. In the end I was very disappointed because the movie was so poorly done even calling it a 'B' movie would have been kind.
I agree with everything you said! Named my colt from this year Finnick from the 2nd Hunger Games book.

COTCB movie sucked so bad!

COTCB movie sucked so bad!
Didn't it. It was a shame too because it was a great story. I loved the characters and they were so well written but in the movie they were ...ummm... 2 dimensional(?) Flat somehow and really anyone who hadn't read the book probably never would after watching that movie.

Well, I just watched Dumbo on streaming recently. I think it was a book first, but not sure. O my, I'd forgotten how sad it is. Have you ever tried to read Pinnochio? Forget it, and enjoy the movie. But Mary Poppins is better as a book.

I still need to see Les Miserables!

The Host is coming out this year, along with Ender's Game. Can't wait to see them both, but the movie versions almost always disappoint me. I actually didn't like the Hunger Games.

I so want to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The book is on my wishlist but I haven't gotten it yet. I read Warm Bodies after seeing the previews for it. Now whenever they show previews, I recognize exactly what part it is from the book. It looks like they kept it pretty close.
I spoiled myself the past week with 18 new audiobooks, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of the books I got
default_yes.gif
I'm thinking if you liked it, I will, too, so am happy to see you did!!!

One book based movie I am looking forward to seeing is Warm Bodies. I loved the story idea, but I thought the writing was too long winded. It's one i think could actually make a better movie than book.

CAN'T wait to see the Under The Dome TV movie or miniseries that will be on airing this June! I really enjoyed the book
default_yes.gif

Jill, I haven't read The Perks yet but I want to. You'll probably get to it before I do, so you'll have to let me know how it is.

Sometimes movies are better then the books. For example the movies The Woman In Black, Practical Magic, and Beastly are all better then the books.

I agree with Beastly, was really disappointed in the book after seeing the movie.

I've read Life of Pi, but didn't see the movie yet, it's on my list. The book was interesting, everyone I've talked to liked the movie.

By 'interesting', does that mean really good or just ok? Lol. My husband wanted to see the movie but it really didn't look like something that I want to see.

I read life of Pi and, purely IMO, it was rubbish!! I was put off ever wanting to see the film by the transparency of the book- read the whole thing in one evening!

COTCB was the only book I actually liked- even though I, glutton for punishment that I was, read them all!! I actually half liked the film although I do agree with everything said. Darryl Hannah was Ayla and that is enough for me!! I saw her as Darryl all through all the books. I am glad they are finished and hope beyond hope that Jean Auel will not write anymore- I found quite a lot of her subsequent books really offensive! (Yes, I am a prude and gratuitous sex is a pet peeve of mine!!) The research done on horse behaviour for these books was pathetic, too, beyond bad. I think the last book was the worst but I still waded through it!!! I read LOTR three times, though, to find out if I was mistaken or if it really was rubbish....Never read a HP book, never shall, again, rubbish. Oh, I am a picky reader alright.... Can't wait for Under the Dome- let's hope it is the one book of SK's that is actually well adapted- wait, no, The Stand was OK....

Latest posts

Back