Had state FFA Equine Judging yesterday ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Last Saturday we had the Ashland Invitational Pre-practice judging. Our Chapter has been practicing for about 2 months now and i was very excited to get out their and judge agian, almost felt like show season agian which is nice because its so close already! I think we were all very excited for that one. I placed 29th (388 pts out of the highest placer who had 428) (1st in our chapter) out of around 200 students from Ohio and our school placed 11th out 47 schools. I thought we did pretty good considering the girl (who i am friends with, dont get me wrong) was not the best teacher but i give her points for trying. We placed the following ...All were out of 50 pts. This contest was held at the Ashland Fairgrounds, where they have the AMHR/ASPC Buckeye Spring Classic (where i showed my first show) so i was very excited and it brought back memories.

-QH geldings class (i got a 49)

-QH/Paint Mares class (i got a 47)

-Western Please class (i got 42)

-Hay Class (49 pts)

-50 Written Exam/Multiple Choice Questions (allot of heath questions) (48pts)

-50 Tack Items (50pts)

Then we had questions over the halter classes.

-1) Which horse is most ballanced (49pts)

-2) Which horse is Pigeon Toed (48pts)

The Ashland Invitational was just a warm up so nothing really counted, just practice. Yesterday was our State juding contest. I had to admit, i wasnt 'feeling it this time' like last week. Plus not to mention i got bus sick on the trip down and started getting a head cold while we were there, i knew i was getting sick and wahla ..im sick now. Allot of people at this one, in the past we have generally done really good at state and all of our contests ..we could have done better. This was different from any of the past judging classes we have ever had, normally we judge stock horses. This time we judged something different, it was a nice change. I placed 168 out of 452 students ..i was hoping to do better after last week. This was my last time being able to judge since i graduate this year but i was asked to come back next year and teach the team so i wont be able to participate but can still be involved, i think this is a GREAT contest. We placed the following classes yesterday ...

-Stock Mare/Gelding class (49pts out of 50)

-Haflinger class (48pts out of 50)

-Hunter Under Saddle (44pts out of 50)

-Hay (50pts out of 50)

-50 Tack Items (46pts on tack)

-50 Multiple Choice (mostly breeding, health questions agian) (50pts on exam)

Then our questions were which was heaviest muscled and which lacked muscle, refinement, which was long in the face, which had the weakest chest and was most narrow ext. Things like that. (40pts on the class questions)

State Judging Individual results (i am number 168 something)

http://ohioffa.org/cde/docs/2007StEQ_IndivScores.pdf

State Judging Team/Chapter Results (Clyde was 29th out of 116, i placed 3rd on our team)

http://ohioffa.org/cde/docs/2007StEQ_TeamScores.pdf

Wish we could have placed a bit higher, didnt meet my goal which was to go to National FFA Contention next year and compete in Horse Judging, it would be the only way i could go to National Convention agian ..you had to place 1st as an individual or 1st as a team to go. Guess i am not going anymore to convention, wasnt expecting first but i was hoping to do better then when i did. Last year i placed 82nd out of 380'ish people and our school was 10th out of about 40 schools, we were hoping to pass that record this year. :no:

Just thought i would share the results, i have pictures from it ..might post them later. I really encourage everyone who has kids entering high school or in high school to get in FFA, every state has a Equine Contest they can compete in. It is like a warm up to show season
default_smile.png

I used to be on a 4-H judging team. What a BLAST that was. Do you have to give oral reasons?

i think you did great!! sounds like some very hard judging. Having a cold didnt help im sure. But the experience is priceless. cant wait for pics

Latest posts

Back