Got a couple of new pets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a pic of one of my new pets
default_biggrin.png

I've wanted Harlequins for years but just never seem to be in the right place at the right time to get one. Yesterday I was cruising my LFS and spotted a new delivery. I purchased two but when I got them home and started to get ready to acclimate them I noticed I had two females. Luckily my LFS is great and the owner there let me return one and pick myself out a male :D They ended up in different areas of the tank but by about 9pm when the lights were out and the moonlight was on I noticed that not only had they found each other they were ---well for lack of a better term "hugging" lol.

Looks like they are now inseparable and this morning I found the two of them huddled together harassing a soon to be extinct Asterina Starfish :mellow:

This is my female - she'll have a cool name by the end of today

035c.jpg

Okay... call me stupid ...... but what is it? It's beautiful, but is it a fish or ??? I'm assuming its a salt-water critter....

And, when you answer that, can you please explain how in the *world* you knew you had two females?
default_smile.png

Congrats on the new baby.

Oh I'm sorry...I'm my excitement to share I forgot to put what they were hahahah (smacking self on head lol)

They are shrimp
default_wub.png
(aren't we animals lovers strange...how can you LOVE a shrimp - other than with some melted butter
default_rolleyes.gif
). They're actually pretty tiny - just about 1/2 an inch at the moment. Luckily this species has a difference in teh sexes...some species you litterally have to put them together and see if they try to kill each other *gasp*. The females have blue spots on their abdomens and males don't. I spent all night researching breeding them...after seeing their marital bliss this morning I'm thinking it may be a go
default_biggrin.png

Oh..and yes they are saltwater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing, I have never seen one, do they come in different colors?

Tell us more about them?
default_saludando.gif

Walnut sauce and Battered Shrimp...oh you guys are too much
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked HAHA

Harley's (Harlequin Shrimp) come from Indonesia. Their background color is always the creamy white you see on my female but their spots can vary in color from her blue to the color of my male who has gorgeous gold / tan spots (I'll try to get a pic) Both colors are tinged with pink. They have very large front claws which are used for show.

008a.jpg

They're peaceful and reef safe for corals.

They are highly specialized feeders - eating only starfish and urchins.

Thanks for letting me share
default_biggrin.png

OMG..I was with NoddalottaFarm for a minute there until I kept reading your thread. What a BEAUTIFUL creature!!! I don't think I've ever seen a shrimp quite so colorful. Reminds me of my blueberry soaps!!!
default_laugh.png
How big is your aquarium? Do these shrimp grow large? What is their "shelf life"?

Oh my gosh...call me an idiot. When you said Harlequin...and you bought 2...then you didnt realize they were both females until you started to acclimate... then returned 2 pick out another from the tank....I thought " this girl is outta her cotton pickin mind...she buys 2 great danes and doesnt even bother to check their sex... and the breeder keeps them in a tank....is she crazy or what!!"..................O.K. Now Im the CRAZY ONE!! I had no idea that shrimp could be so beautiful...the big triangle thingy in the front..is that one of his claws?

congrats on your new shrimp...they sure will eat alot less than a DOG!!

Oh my gosh...call me an idiot. When you said Harlequin...and you bought 2...then you didnt realize they were both females until you started to acclimate... then returned 2 pick out another from the tank....I thought " this girl is outta her cotton pickin mind...she buys 2 great danes and doesnt even bother to check their sex... and the breeder keeps them in a tank....is she crazy or what!!"..................O.K. Now Im the CRAZY ONE!! I had no idea that shrimp could be so beautiful...the big triangle thingy in the front..is that one of his claws?congrats on your new shrimp...they sure will eat alot less than a DOG!!
HAHAHHA OMG I nearly pee'd myself laughing at your post. Too funny
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
I can just picture it
default_rolleyes.gif

Yup, the big triangle thingy is a claw. They do a little dance and wave it around...kind of cool to watch.

Sterling,

I have them in a 29 gallon reef aquarium. They don't grow very large two to three inches max. They do best in pairs but can be kept alone. Ones kept alone are more active. I have no idea of their life span. They need excellent water quality (which is what you'd have in a reef tank anyway) and once mature will spawn each month. I really hope to be able to raise some - that would be cool.

I'm thrilled everyone thinks they are as stunning as I do.

Thanks for letting me share.

Maybe one day I can "share" a few babies with you guys
default_biggrin.png

Do they have 1 big and 1 small claw..like a lobster??

I would love to see pictures of your whole tank....it sounds beautiful.

When you say they dont grow too big...2 to 3 inches...that seems pretty big.....will any of your other fish try to eat them..or will they eat any of their room mates??

How funny!! Until I saw the pictures, I thought you were talking about Harlequin Great Danes!!
default_laugh.png

default_new_shocked.gif
BEAUTIFUL color!!! I've never seen anything like that. I guess my aquarium has just the basic fish. Still pretty to look at though. Are those salt water shrimp or fresh? Do they have to be in a tank by themselves or can they be with other's?

susanminiponygirl...maybe I should go back and edit my first post Harlequin SHRIMP hahaha.

Tiny Hooves, they are saltwater shrimp. They are in a mixed reef with other shrimp, crabs, fish and corals. Oh and there's no such thing as "basic fish...I love ALL tanks cold water, freshwater and salt. Fish are so relaxing and enjoyable

Littleribbie I'd love to share a full tank shot...will take one tomorrow the lights just went out (on timer) Both front claws are the same size...BIG lol. My male lost one of his but he'll grow it back when he molts.

My fish won't eat them. I have a bonded pair of Picasso Clowns and they are very peaceful. They won't bother the shrimp and visa versa.There's some hermit crabs in there an emerald crab and a fire shrimp but they won't bother the Harley's either. Everyone was chosen carefully to live in harmony. Only thing in trouble are my starfish. I probably have a 100 asterina and micro brittles stars in there and I'm afraid they are considered a delicacy by the Harlequins ! I've been fishing a bunch out and putting them into a different tank but there's still loads in there. I've heard they don't bother brittles too much because they move too fast but the asterinas better move to higher ground. Luckily starfish can regenerate limbs...handy adaptation if you happen to get nibbled on in the night
default_sad.png
default_wink.png
I didn't buy the starfish they came in on the live rock* that makes the foundation of the reef.

* Live rock is rock harvested from the ocean that contains a myriad of livestock. On one small piece you can find micro and macro algae, tube worms, feather dusters, copopods (tiny crustations) bristle worms, sponges, anemones, corals and coraline algae. It forms the "backbone" of a mini reef and it's what you attach your corals to. It acts as your filtration system.

If anyone ever wants to start a reef tank I'd be more than happy to help. I've had one running for 20 years now and can help you sieve through the loads of info out there (and sadly local fish stores trying to make a buck by selling you unneeded equipment)

I'd take some name suggestions if anyone has some
default_biggrin.png

All kidding aside. They are beautiful. I just started a 55 gal fresh water tank up a month ago and set it up in my spare bedroom. We are calling it the cubby hole since hubby has his manly room. I am getting ready to paint the room. I have my little TV and phone and all set up and am getting ready to connect to marestare for foaling. You are so right it is very relaxing to watch the fishys swim around. My daughter and kids were out sunday for lunch and we all ended up in the Cubby Hole sitting around and talking except when it came time for the BIG hockey game...Gosh what a game
default_new_shocked.gif

That is beautiful! I see Jill has not posted yet..... I wonder what she will think.
default_biggrin.png
She has gone aquarium crazy.
default_laugh.png

Beautiful shrimp, and I enjoyed your tutorial LOL. Learn something everyday! If I ever reach the point of not having a barn to take care of, I'll have fish again.

Jan

Latest posts

Back