Goat or Donkey?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy_M.

Reaction score
Happy Holidays! Many of you are old friends but I shut down my farm and moved two years ago so haven't been posting on here.

Some of you have had Miniature Donkeys, and goats. My vet suggested that I get one as a companion to my blind Mini mare, Jelly Bean. Her companion has always been Stuffy, but Stuffy's health is deteriorating rapidly. The vet suggested a Donk because I worry about the dogs that are allowed to run loose around here.

Even though she is nearly blind, Bean is still the dominant mare. Which would be a better choice, a gelded Jack or a goat?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!

Sandy Martin

Serenity Acres MHF

I have both goats and a donkey. I would say a donkey (I REALLY LOVE my goats, but just think a donkey would be a better companion... a mini donk, that is...) of course, my goats are small (Nigerian Dwarfs) so a larger goat might also make a great companion...

Jessi

I think both are "acceptable" companions for horses but a donkey would probably be more of a companion with the added feature of protection.

Why not another horse???

Neither Donkeys not Goats speak "horse"

A Donkey that has been brought up with horses might have learned some, but it is still far from ideal.

I had two Donkeys for a number of years who never interacted with the horses at all- they completely ignored the,

They still did a wonderful job of guarding them but they never "spoke the language"

I think, especially as this is a near blind animal we are talking about, another horse is the only option.

Even tho most horses prefer another horse for a companion. I think a mini donkey would be great because with her failing eyesight the donkey can protect her from unwanted visitors. I know I have two mini donkeys that protect my horses.

I have both horses and donkeys, and like Jane said the donkeys "dont speak the horses language" but between a goat and a donkey I would definitely take the donkey.
default_wub.png
: My hinnys will interact with the horse just fine, but my donkeys like to stay in a group by themselves...but, let someone come in by the horses and they are right there on guard. Ideally, it would be so nice if you could get your mare another horse as a companion, but if you want the added protection.....but please remember NOT ALL DONKEYS protect, then. I would go with a donkey. Corinne

Latest posts

Back