First Time Animal Genetics User....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Okay so my new colt Love will be arriving here next week and I plan on sending off hair samples to Animal Genetics shortly thereafter but I am having a hard time deciding what tests to run on him based on his color?

He is a loud medicine hat who I believe also carries frame and splash according to what I can see on him (pics coming asap next friday I promise lol) and has two ice blue eyes. From what I saw of him in his baby woolies he looks to have been a sorrel, bay or silver bay as base color but I couldn't tell for sure because all of his mane and most of his tail is white along with all his legs - so no chance to see if he had black points or not.

His sire is a silver and white medicine hat who I also believe is frame and splash (Love is a carbon copy of his sire) who has two blue eyes and his dam is a obvious deep bay minimal tobiano. I wish the owners knew what the sire's base color was before graying but I won't ever know I guess.

I know I am already testing him for LWO as it is a must have before breeding him but I'm not sure whether to run for the gray test or the silver test? Or both? Are there any other tests you would run if he were yours besides those three?

Thanks so much you genetic junkies
default_wink.png

If you are unsure of his color or patterns, then I would probably test for a lot.
default_smile.png
As to color, I would test for red, agouti, silver and grey. That would tell you if he's chestnut, black, bay and/or silver or grey. As to patterns, you can test for tobiano and LWO. No test yet for splash.

Do you know the color of the dam? How about the grandparents?

Do you have any pictures?

LWO is the only obvious one that needs to be done.

But going off what you said already I would probably test for tobi, black, agouti and silver. I wouldn't waste my time with the sabino test.

Latest posts

Back