Finally able to clip a few...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniapp

Reaction score
Well... as many of you know, California has been INUNDATED with rain this year... with most of Central California only accessible by rowboat... (just kidding, but some days that is what it feels like...
default_wacko.png
: ) and I have been panicking trying to get client horses ready for our first show on the 29th in Wilton, Ca.

This weekend it was "do or die"... so out came the clippers and for the entire Easter weekend I was in the barn, on the ground, clippers in hand... and I thought I would post the results for a couple of them..

This is S Bar P's Irish Creme... my sister Janie Bighams, (Big Hoop Miniatures) 2 Year Old Under mare.. She has been in the barn about 45 days.. (and out in pasture for the past year, growing up.. :bgrin ) the first one was taken when we pulled her from the pasture in February..

ef62f282.jpg

The second was taken today..

ef62fab9.jpg

ef62fa43.jpg

I know... BAD MOMMY to leave her tail out ALL winter so that it is completely yellow..
default_rolleyes.gif
: we really weren't sure whether we were going to haul her this year.. so it got left down.. (anybody got any great ideas on how to get it white again? Believe me.. I have tried EVERYTHING that I know to get it back, so far with not so great results... :no: )

The other one is a horse that I am pleased with for only being with me about 3 weeks... this is MMF OurMiniFarms Firecracker... an Over Senior Gelding owned by Our Mini Farm of Kingsburg, Ca... he is another horse that has been out in pasture... AND just got gelded before he arrived... so I can't wait to have him for about 60 days in the barn... (got a lot of work to do on his neck and belly! :new_shocked:
default_yes.gif
: )

Before photo... (he had just gotten here and we were taking photos of a sale horse so snuck him on the end.. lol!)

ef62f395.jpg

After photos... taken today:

ef62fad6.jpg

ef62fb11.jpg

Had more horses but just didn't get more photos taken today.....
default_rolleyes.gif
: :lol: Y'all are probably going "enough already!" anyway.... LOL!

Thanks for letting me share... and since I am not having any foals this year, I guess these are my "baby pictures".. LOL!

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

WOW...both of those horses are gorgeous and you can come visit me when you are finished at home.I have 27 that need to be clipped :bgrin

Wow very pretty! Of course i'm loving the filly =) Love her pattern! Let me know if you learn how to make her tail white, I have the SAME problem!!!

Wow very pretty! Of course i'm loving the filly =) Love her pattern! Let me know if you learn how to make her tail white, I have the SAME problem!!!

I'll tell you what... I have tried EVERYTHING that I know, blueing, Quic Silver, ALL of the "I promise to make the horses mane and tail white under pain of death" products on the market.. and some of the yellow has lifted, just not enough, obviously, to make me happy...
default_wacko.png
: LOL! I am going to try to pack her tail in baking soda today... (got that from a friend that raises APHA halter horses and has lots of Overos...) and, I guess my last resort is to try to dye it back to white... (and considering her color, I would even take a light, lovely shade of blue over what it is right now...
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

We have several other mares with light or white tails out on pasture with her and they don't look like this... :no: Oh well, once I figure it out.. maybe I sell the secret receipe! LOL!

Thanks all for the kind words..

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

I found this online for you:

"In addition to what's commercially available, two home remedies can help you take care of the telltale yellow stains that are a recurring problem for white- and light-tailed horses. Adding white vinegar or laundry bluing to the wash water can help to get out stains, and once your horse's tail is clean, a tail bag can help you to keep it that way."

I like the idea of the baking soda, but thought this might also work. Dying and bleaching are looked down apon in most horse shows because it is considered cosmetic alteration. Help this helps a little.

I found this online for you:

"In addition to what's commercially available, two home remedies can help you take care of the telltale yellow stains that are a recurring problem for white- and light-tailed horses. Adding white vinegar or laundry bluing to the wash water can help to get out stains, and once your horse's tail is clean, a tail bag can help you to keep it that way."

I like the idea of the baking soda, but thought this might also work. Dying and bleaching are looked down apon in most horse shows because it is considered cosmetic alteration. Help this helps a little.

Thanks for the information! Totally understand the rules on alteration, color or otherwise... (have been at this a looong time... LOL!
default_yes.gif
: ) but taking back to natural color is acceptable... this is removing a stain, not adding color.. (and MAN, I hope we get there soon.. :lol: .) Like I said before, totally my fault for not keeping her tail up over the winter so I guess this is "mother natures revenge..."
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Thanks again..

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

You do such a great job of grooming and conditioning! As far as the tail goes, are you sure that isn't the natural color? She looks like a silver bay in the unclipped photo and many pintos have a two-colored tail. I was just wondering if maybe that is just not the silver bay tail color instead of the white pinto tail color.

Amazing as to what a clip job can do for a horse Huh!! :lol: He doesn't look like the same one at all!!! You did a great job on him. :aktion033: He looks awesome now!!

Joyce

I've heard Wisk laundry detergent works pretty good for whitening yellowed tails, but haven't tried it myself. After Wisking, you have to rinse very well and then wash and condition with horse products, as the Wisk is very drying.

My mare's tail is about that yellow too. My mare's problem is she is a bit goose-rumped and also doesn't lift her tail that high when she pees, so guess where it goes... Yep, onto her tail. Now that she's lost some weight, it's not as bad as it was, but the lower half is still more yellow than white or silver (she's a silver dapple). I think when I washed her last spring, I just used Suave Daily Cleanser shampoo and it worked pretty good. I think I had a small trial size bottle of equine whitening shampoo, too.

You do such a great job of grooming and conditioning! As far as the tail goes, are you sure that isn't the natural color? She looks like a silver bay in the unclipped photo and many pintos have a two-colored tail. I was just wondering if maybe that is just not the silver bay tail color instead of the white pinto tail color.

Thank you so much for the compliment...
default_wub.png
: I enjoy so much about what I do with the horses... and it is always very rewarding to find out that the hard work pays off in the end...
default_yes.gif
: I only take a few outside horses in during the year, as I also work full time in the Telecommuncations industry, so I will always have the option of doing it for the love of the breed and not as my only source of income...
default_smile.png

I SOO wish that it was her natural color... but she had a white tail as a weanling when we bought her... (momma looks just like her with a white tail and daddy is a black overo...
default_yes.gif
: ) so I know that it is urine. I am just beside myself that I didn't put it up over the winter and now have to live with the consequences... I am definately going to try the other ideas mentioned here... and will let you all know the results...

Thanks again everyone... let SHOW SEASON begin!! :lol:

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Latest posts

Back