figured out something that helps de crust rain rot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
Of my 4 minis, one little mare seems prone to rain rot. She has a totally different feel to her coat. Kind of oily with white dust sometimes. Even soon after a bath. My other 3 get sandy or wet, but it brushes out then they feel nice and smooth again. This little girl gets crusty! This is my second winter having her and second time she has gotten yucky at the start of winter. She is fine all summer! We have had a lot of rain the past few weeks so I am sure that contributes to her problem.

Anyway, I bathed her last week with special shampoo, and de crusted as best I could. By today I could feel more crusts. I decided to try combing her with a metal nit comb (the kind for head lice) and it was wonderful!! The crusts went flying! It was not too rough on her skin and could get right to the root, pulling out the little dandruff like pieces. Worked so well, I literally spent almost 3 hours combing my mare with a fine tooth comb ! LOL! I then put stuff on her to treat the rain rot.

Does rain rot start out looking like dandruff? Last year I did not catch it very early (never having seen it) and she had big angry patches. This year just dandruff like stuff which came off so good with the lice comb.

Just thought I would share in case anyone else has this problem. It was actually so satisfying decrusting her! Now she is all smooth and nice feeling!
default_wub.png

Is there any supplements that help with this sort of problem? I have thought of a coat in rainy weather, but she seems hot natured and I worry the coat would only make the problem worse.

Any ideas and advice welcome!!!
default_saludando.gif

Hey there Stella. Actually here is my take on a lot of skin problems down in Florida, mainly rainrot: I think a lot of horses are pre-disposed to it in their background, like stemming from an auto immune problem. I'll betcha if you know the sire and dam or even go back to the grandparents, they get it too as its my humble opinon this can skip a generation. Anyhow, what works best is keeping these types of horses completely out of the humidity and definately the wet weather; keeping them dry and cool under fans. Hard and nearly impossible to do I know, but that is what really helps the most to avoid it completely. If they can't stop itching, our vets used to give me Azium to put in their feed or some Dex for some immediate relief. If its really a huge problem you can also get your vet to do a skin scraping and see what bacterias are showing up.

To treat it some people prefer MTG and I like a product from Jeffers Equine called Fungasol in a white spray bottle. Cheap and works quickly. http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.a...5PM793AQAK9DLK5

As far as supplements to help it, YES there is! I love love love a product by Farnum that has been around for a million years called Super 14 or Super 17. This is in powder form, smells good enough to eat, they love it and it will put a gorgeous coat on a horse faster than you can spell H O R S E. I swear by this.

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.a...5PM793AQAK9DLK5

The best preventative I've found, once you know a horse is predisposed to getting this gunk, is regular grooming. I have anywhere from 10-15 mares out in the pasture most of the time and no, they don't get regular grooming. But if I anticipate a problem with anyone I try to at least keep their backs sort of raked lol. Generally starts there on fat little horses - they roll & get dirt ground into their backs, and then get wet and the water doesn't drain off....recipe for a fungus. I get into it with my fingers and loosen it up, then take a sturdy comb and rake through back hair......will often keep a problem from happening.

I've only had one this year that seems like true rainrot and it's a colt - don't know why it hit him so hard, but I had to completely clip him to get to it, and keep him in and blanketed until it dried up here.

Jan

Thanks Marty! I will look into those products!

Funny thing is this mare is NOT itchy!!

And I do brush regularly.

Anytime her coat seems less than perfect I am out there brushing.

I do not give tons of baths because of all the dirt.

Bath = rolling = dirty again.

But I do rake out just as you described Wild oak, so I totaly get what you are saying. My others will sometimes get clumpy looking hair after a big rain, but it brushes right our. Leaving nice skin and hair. That is what baffles me about her. She is just greasier all the time. When I run my fingers through everybody elses coat it is smooth and silky, all the way down to the skin. Even if I dig in good, all I will get is some sand. On her, the coat is now really silky shiney and nice, but deep down by the root got lumpy. But now the lumps are gone and I am determined never to have them again!!!

I think it is genetic, and I am going to try the supplements on her. She if I cant boost her immune system. Thanks so much!!!
default_saludando.gif

Marty: How do you "feed" the Super 14? Meaning, how much to put in their feed?

You all are gonna think I'm nuts...

I use an elec leaf blower.. keeps them all clean and fluffy in seconds.

Yes,, they have to get used to it,, but they quickly learn that it feels good too.

I don't do their heads, of course,,,

They look like fluffy stuffed animals.. and I don't get rain rot, but to be honest,,

mine rarely even get rained on....
default_rolleyes.gif

~Sandy

I am going to pass on my 'secret' forumula for any kind of fungus or suspicious flaky areas in the coat. It is....Desenex powder. Powder, not the cream or liquid, it is in the athletes foot section at Walmart; for humans. I have used it for years successfully and it does not leave any stain, I just dust it in while combing out the patches.

Latest posts

Back