Favorite warm GLOVES for working??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HobbsFarm

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I am looking for some gloves that keep your hands really warm but aren't big and bulky. Do you have a favorite brand or style of gloves for working in the barn? My fingers get sooooo cold :cold: :cold: :cold: outside in the winter and I need really warm gloves that are durable enough for working in the barn but not bulky. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Thanks![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

i've tried 'em all and i agree, they're all much too bulky. the only gloves i've found that are nice and warm and not bulky are 100% wool. i've only had one pair, they lasted for years and i have NOT been able to find them for a long time. wish i could!

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!! I just had this all typed out and hit a wrong button and lost it all! Let's try again!

I need something warm for trimming horse hooves in the 20-40 below temps. Handling those COLD metal nippers needs something warm and all I have ever used were those bulky insulated leather winter gloves! They are too cumbersome.

Last year I came across some neoprene gloves in the sporting section. I guess they are popular during hunting and cold water fishing season. I bought a pair then, and they were almost $20.00. They were too long in the fingers, so I cut the tips off and accidentally cut them a bit too short, and my fingertips ended up popping through anyway...lesson learned! :eek: Well, just as with any leather gloves, they do not last when being rasped! LOL!

Yeserday I happened to be walking through Walmart and remembered I needed new ones when I saw them hanging there. These were made nicer, and are a size s/m. They were not too long in the fingers, and they "fit like a glove"...nice and snug. I am anxious to try them out, but I was happy with them last winter, so these new ones will only be better. They are warm as they are made with the same type of material diver's wetsuits are made of. These were only $12.99 so are already coming way down in price.

Here are pics I just took for you of the ones I got at WalMart yesterday. I do have fairly large hands for a woman, so they might be big on you. But maybe you can find these in women's sizes somewhere???

gloves.jpg

gloves2.jpg

gloves3.jpg

I have a pair just like that Mona! They work great, especially for pulling ice chunks out of water buckets. They work like a pair of fishing waders.

Check into Carhartt gloves too. I found a pair at work the other day that had 100grams of Thinsulate in them. They are a nice leather glove with a "gel" pad on the palm covered with pigskin so it is tougher. They have neoprene too and are waterproof. They cost $27.99.....but I get a discount!
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

This is what they look like:

A212MED.jpg
Sorry it's small. It's taken from the Carhartt website.

This is "their" description:

"This is one of our new gloves. Made of full-grain pigskin with a back that's 96% polyester and 4% spandex. The back also features a G60 Thinsulate insulation while the palm has a CS40 Thinsulate insulation. For impact protection there is a gel-padded palm patch. Wrist straps are adjustable with hook-and-loop closures."

Thinking along the lines of Mona's answer...you can find very nice gloves like that (in many more sizes) in a scuba shop or online scuba store. They are usually neoprene and they come in different thicknesses, dependent on the water temp you are diving in. I've never used mine for horse work, but they are very warm, even in the colder waters(mine are 5 ml).

Divers have to have good tactile sensation, so the gloves are not bulky at all.

I've also come across Thinsulate driving gloves that are not bulky but are fairly warm.

It doesn't get as cold here as other places (rarely below freezing) but I have found some gloves that I really like that keep me warm but are also pretty flexible. They are called Atlas Therma-Fit. They're a knit glove that has the palm and most of the fingers dipped in something rubberlike.

Hopefully this picture will work:
gp_451.gif

They run anywhere from $5.00 on up depending if you can find them on sale. I usually buy two pair in case one gets wet. I wear the medium, but I''m sure the small would work fine for most women. You can find them just about anywhere.

Jayne

I love this thread. Makes me want to start one on winter boots! I just love my Original Muck Boots!!

Great thread!! I usually use a leather work glove and just put a wool insert inside. But now I'm going to check on those neoprene ones at Walmart next time I go.

For what kind of work? What I use for winter chores are just those cheap "magic" gloves. I have used them also for winter riding / driving. They look tiny but stretch when you put them on. They are knitted and have little rubber pimples on the palm side for gripping. They are not super gloves costing only $2 or so, but I like them and buy 10 or so in fall so I have them handy and in pockets, etc. They are not heavy duty or waterproof, but they are really warm and not bulky (so great for being able to use fingers good, like for riding/driving).

It doesn't get as cold here as other places (rarely below freezing) but I have found some gloves that I really like that keep me warm but are also pretty flexible. They are called Atlas Therma-Fit. They're a knit glove that has the palm and most of the fingers dipped in something rubberlike.

Hopefully this picture will work:
gp_451.gif

They run anywhere from $5.00 on up depending if you can find them on sale. I usually buy two pair in case one gets wet. I wear the medium, but I''m sure the small would work fine for most women. You can find them just about anywhere.

Jayne

I love this thread. Makes me want to start one on winter boots! I just love my Original Muck Boots!!
Yep the ones you posted are one of my favorites I went through about 4 pairs this summer
default_wink.png
: I also used to get very nice deerskin gloves from a leather shop that I loved. I get the atlas type from 3.79-5.00 and the leather ones were a bargain at 16.00

The gloves mona posted look like a good possibility for winter, but I am hard on them with all the gardening, plant handling and horse care.

I used to not wear gloves but my poor hands suffered from years of bad treatment I finally trained myself to wear gloves most of the time.
default_wink.png
:

:new_shocked:
default_rolleyes.gif
: I found out last year that I like "muckies" the best. Love 'em!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

:new_shocked:
default_rolleyes.gif
: I found out last year that I like "muckies" the best. Love 'em!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
I know that living in Alabama, it doesn't get near as cold as it does for most of you, but my hands probably get colder... bad circulation or something?? So I really apreciate all of your suggestions!

What are muckies, Pinto28?

I'm going to Walmart tomorrow to get some of those neoprene gloves.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks! Shannon
default_smile.png

PS. I just ordered my husband 4 pair of ironclad gloves from the www.palmflex.com website last night. That's what made me think to ask y'all about some good ladies gloves. Their prices are GREAT!!

I like the cheap polar fleece gloves. They come in a few style but I like the single thick one layer ones. I found the two layer ones with the plastic or something between the layers just too hot to wear, my hands got real sweaty inside of them. Even if they get wet my hand stay warm. That surprised me. Only on the coldest days. down around O and below do my hands get a little chilly.

This may be a little off the topic, but has anyone else noticed they don't make the really warm stuff for women that they do for men/boys? I always try to buy "male" stuff cause it's so much warmer; like gloves, insulated undies (the ones for women are a joke), etc...Even flannel shirts are lighter weight for women.

Latest posts

Back