False Pregnancy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mares that have had foals (and some that haven't) will have a milk-like substance in their udder. If your mare doesn't mind, you can generally collect some fluid any time. This is very normal.

There are also many reasons why mares may not appear to cycle. The only way to figure out why is to have a full reproductive exam. It is not uncommon at all to have a mare that never shows heat, but is perfectly breedable using AI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mares that have had foals (and some that haven't) will have a milk-like substance in their udder. If your mare doesn't mind, you can generally collect some fluid any time. This is very normal.
There are also many reasons why mares may not appear to cycle. The only way to figure out why is to have a full reproductive exam. It is not uncommon at all to have a mare that never shows heat, but is perfectly breedable using AI.
Nathan, I don't know why the thought of a mare possibly having a "false" pregnancy is impossible in veterinary medicine. However, I know milk when I see it and this was milk. Not clear, cloudy white, and copious amount of it. I know my mare, and I know I saw the signs that indicated she was pregnant. At no other time does her vulva, lengthen except when she's preparing to foal. It may not be an accepted condition in veterinary medicine, but I firmly believe that either my vet is wrong and she's pregnant or she's had a false pregnancy. I'm sure there's plenty of research left to be done that may change professionals minds on the topic. Regardless of what some book says.....

you guys are kind of hard on me for having all my horses together. if they didnt get along they wouldnt be together(these horses all sleep in the feild beside eachother) .they have plenty of room to have their own space (they roam 100 acres). The second stallion came only alittle while ago so there is no doubt about who daddy is. My mini mare will be seperated once she seems like she is getting close. The other stud is an old cripple so he isnt chasing or breeding anyone ( and how do you castrate a 20 year old stallion who isnt in good health to begin with), and if anyone gets out of line towards him my QH is his protector. Im not really trying to defend myself but i am not an irrisponsible horse owner!
All it takes it one quick fight for someone to get hurt, especially a Mini with the big horses.
default_no.gif
Their heads are just at kicking level.

We're not concerned with who the sire of the foal is, so much as for the health of your horses. And just because a stallion is older and cannot move around so well does not mean he won't try, causing himself and the mares undue stress.
default_unsure.png

Depending on the horses to just get along, even with a lot of room, is not a good idea. I am sure you want to do what is best for your horses, but running them all together, especially two stallions, two large mares, and one possibly pregnant mini is not safe. It is the same as running horses in barbed wire. It might have worked fine for ten years, but you could still come out any day and find one of your horses nearly skinned alive for being tangled in it. In my opinion, its just not worth the risk.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back