Extended gaits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diva's Girl

Reaction score
How do you guys encourage your horses to stretch out and extend their gait and engage their hindquarters without speeding up her gait in cart? I can get diva to extend and use her hind quarters when on a gentle upgrade but when I'm in the arena or flat ground she tends to be lazy and try to speed up instead of extending. I don't want to confuse her or teach her how to do it wrong.

Try keeping her learning on the hill until she is very sure of what you are asking her for, and gradually decrease the slope you are asking her to perform on if you can (I know it can be hard to find suitable hills for the little ones).

How do you ask them to extend? She only does it uphill for me because I don't let her speed up so she has to extend.

I train my driving horses dressage style, so I start out by asking them to go on the bit--once they have that then asking for the extended trot comes quite easily--I will ask the horse to move on, while at the same time feeling the reins a little more firmly. Don't pull, but tighten your fingers to "hold" her a little more as you ask her to move on. This will encourage her to extend, rather than just speeding up. It works better to ask for extension when the horse isn't too fresh, especially when you first start asking for extension. A horse that is fresh will be more inclined to just move her legs faster--if she has been working for a little while & is even a little tired, she will be much more inclined to do a real extension--really, it is less work to stretch the legs out a little more than it is to move them faster. Generally the first time I ask a horse for some extension it is at the end of a lesion, when he is no longer fresh. I'll ask once and if I get a few strides I will bring him back to a working trot, then ask for another extension & call it good for the day. Do not ask for a lot of extension to start with--be happy with a few lengthened strides, then bring her back and ask again after a bit. If you're working in an arena, only ask for lengthening down the long side--bring her back to a working trot when going around the ends of the arena. It will be much easier for her to do on the straightaway.

Thanks so much, that makes sense. I will try it after it stops raining and let you guys know how it goes. :)

Latest posts

Back