Emergency need answer asap

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielleee

Reaction score
Okay so my filly who literally just turned a year old got in with one of our studs. Her sire. And apparently is showing heat signs. I didn't want to post this on facebook and ask because its my grandmothers fault and if I post it on facebook she'll get told what I say by tattletales. Zoey has never even tested the fence before so I dont get it but the fence probably wasnt on because my grandmother is negligent or she probably didnt close a gate which has happened multiple times and grey feather also is known to take gates off she also didnt look outside ALL day since she fed this morning. Seriously? I just stopped having a panic attack that lasted for like 20 minutes. I was hysterically crying and could not get myself to stop. She is my baby. And for her to be in this situation absolutely disgusts me. Theres no way to know for sure if she was actually bred but I refuse to take a chance. I will not put her at risk like that. I know there is a shot or something that they can be given right what I need to know is what it is and where I can get it is it something I need to get from the vet? How long do I have to give it to her? 24 hours? Please please please if anyone knows answer this as soon as you can.

I'm fairly new to horses but you an look up 'horse abortion medicine' and should get results. It "something bort" I just can't recall for sure not do I know the specifics of it.

I appreciate that thank you. The post is from 2010 so could be something different or new. I just wanna know from mini people who have had or know of people who have given the shot or whatever it is. While I wait for a vet to call back.

Call your vet. There is something you can give her so she doesn't stay pregnant, but you have to give it right away. It can make her feel awful and sweat from what I hear. A friend of mine gave to her mare after an accidental breeding. The mare was ok afterward but I remember her saying the horse felt pretty crummy at first.

I would do whatever your vet says you should do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deep breaths...you do not have to give it right away--I believe you wait 7 (maybe 10?) days then give it--a single shot is effective when given within 35 days of breeding. After 35 days it may take more than 1 shot, and after 100 days it may not be effective at all.

Lutalyse is the drug you want. There is another one but I never remember the name of it--lutalyse is what has been used here.

Awhile back my vet was talking about how to abort accidental pregnancies. He was saying something about banamine or bute? But I of course wasnt really taking in the information cause I wasn't thinking my girls would ever be near a stallion. I will ask him and see what he says.

I also just left a voicemail for my uncle who is also a vet. Once one responds I will post again.

My vet just texted back that lutalyse is what he reccomenda, just as minimor stated. I wonder who told me about the bute and banamine :-\

OK now my uncle responded and said " lutalyse or prostin or estrumute 7-10 days after the breeding, will abort and bring her into heat". Hope this helps

Thank you both so so so much. That makes me feel a little better that its not an emergency that I have to get done tomorrow morning. I have a few days. Does anyone know if the vet has to do it or if you can pick it up from the vet? Does it have any side effects?

Well since my uncle is family there are many things he allows me to do myself. Some things can only be done legally by a vet. So it depends on your vet. I am assuming that many of the drugs won't feel like a pick me up.

I don't know if it is a pill or injection. But if you are comfortable with doing injections, then maybe your vet will provide you with the drugs and not make you pay for a visit.

OK last one. 2 shots in the muscel first shot in 10 days second shot a week after. That's for the lutalyse.
default_smile.png
hope this helped.

Side effects ... Shaking, sweating. I'm told some horses are affected more than others--for some it isn't very nice for awhile.

It is lutalyse and it does have side effects for some.Very intense sweating and sometimes colic symptoms.Best to be given by a vet and monitored by a vet.I think it actually extends the heat and .Used it many years ago to bring a mare into heat and my memories are somewhat fuzzy.

Estrumate is lutalyse. All it is a is a prostaglandin. It will cause shaking and sweating sometimes - but it's more of an 'oh my god my uterus is crampy' colic instead of a 'colic colic.'

It does not extend the heat. It prevents the ovarian structure required for pregnancy from happening. My advice is to listen to your vet, but I use it on cows a bunch (not to abort but to bring into heat for timed AI) and find it's best to wait until they have a strong CL on their ovary to do it. So, in bovines, 10 days after a heat, or 10 days after when they were in theory in heAt.

It is an injectable product. And breathe. She is either pregnant or not at this point. She can't get 'more pregnant!' An abortion now is no different dr an abortion within a week or so.

I know I'm just scared for her shes my baby and JUST a baby you know? She was my first foal ever. The vet said that the shot he gives he wants to give within 72 hours. I didnt get the name apparently he was with a patient and is supposed to be calling back to tell me. but I read that lutalyse should be given after 7 days? so i dont know if its the same thing or not.. and to top everything off my grandmother is just being an idiot (for lack of nicer word that describes her )about everything. Acting like its an inconvenience for her and its extremely irritating. I'm an adult who pays you to take care of my animals and also feeds ALL of the horses a few times a week and cleans the barn etc I shouldnt be treated like a child who doesn't know whats best for her animal when I ask that you put her in the barn at night to prevent this from happening again.

Sorry for my rant. But honestly I'd like to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. I havent been on the forum in a while I forgot how much everyone helps and how nice everyone is. Like a big family. Im making it a point to be on here more. I'm now REALLY hoping my foal in the spring will be a colt now. I was hoping before but definitely now lol either that or I have a different place to keep my horses where I actually have a say in everything that goes on. And my stallion would be far far away from mares and fillies who aren't supposed to be bred.

To be fair we have never had a problem with a stallion getting in with the mares before even in the spring when its hormone city. I believe it was a freak thing (if shes telling the truth about the fence being down and she hadnt left a gate open or something) but now that it has happened I want to take even more precaution. Hence why I want Zoey in the barn at night because at night Grey Feather (stallion) is on the other side of the fence from where she and the rest of the mares are.

Once again I appreciate everyone who answered so very much. I wish I could give you all a big hug. I was panicked at the time I made the original post still had tears streaming down my face lol. I've already cried today again. I'm just so upset and worried about the whole situation. I washed her vulva and between her legs with warm water this morning. Scratched, hugged, and kissed her and told her I was so sorry. My horses are my babies and I know many of you know exactly how thats like.

I agree. Call your vet. There is something that can be given if it seems to the vet to be the best thing that will terminate a new pregnancy in horses. Don't beat yourself up. These things happen to farms with decades of experience, too.

Latest posts

Back