Do your minis roll near your fence with a hotwire?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizze98765

Reaction score
We're looking to buy a new place and it has the large opening field fencing. We don't have the money to replace the fencing, but will add 3 strands of hotwire/tape of some sort to keep them away until we eventually do have the money. Is it common to still have your horses roll/play right near the fence or do they avoid it pretty well. I'm just so anxious about the fence since we've never had field fence. I also have a big horse who I'm afraid of getting stuck.

I have seen what just the plain metal hot wire can do to a horses leg and it isn't pretty. A friend had the metal hot wire and her horse rolled to close to it and got tangled in it. It tore her leg up pretty bad months of healing. I use the flat tape hot wire and love it . When my grandpa was still alive he rolled to close and caught the tape and it just pulls it out of the clips. There wasn't a mark on him he broke the tape but that is a easy fix as I always keep spare parts. My minis have the woven wire fence and I ran the tape at butt level to keep them from using the fench as a butt scratcher I LOVE the tape and wouldn't use anything else. Grandpa was my Quarter Horse

Last edited by a moderator:
Only about 1/2 of my miniatures respect the hotwire. The others just go right through it.

It really depends on your horses.

Ive also known many large horses that wont respect it. Its solely on the horse.

We have always used electric fencing (over 25 years+) we have never had an issue with it. As long as it has enough of a current to sustain the amount of fencing you have (we always use a much stronger charger than needed, and don't rely on solar chargers to be consistant).We have a current in each of the 5 strands, and a rope wire as the middle strand for visability purposes. It may not be for everyone, but it has worked for us with big horses and minis over the years. Our horses do not roll anywhere near it. It is on at all times, unless the power is out. If the weather is bad enough for the power to be out, the horses are stalled anyway.

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen what just the plain metal hot wire can do to a horses leg and it isn't pretty. A friend had the metal hot wire and her horse rolled to close to it and got tangled in it. It tore her leg up pretty bad months of healing. I use the flat tape hot wire and love it . When my grandpa was still alive he rolled to close and caught the tape and it just pulls it out of the clips. There wasn't a mark on him he broke the tape but that is a easy fix as I always keep spare parts. My minis have the woven wire fence and I ran the tape at butt level to keep them from using the fench as a butt scratcher I LOVE the tape and wouldn't use anything else. Grandpa was my Quarter Horse
I'm glad you explained who "Grandpa" was. Here I was wondering why your grandfather was rolling on the ground near the horse pasture LOL

I use 2 inch wide hot tape, white. Very visible. Every so many panels I cut it and add a new tape section so that if anybody ever did catch in it, they will pull it though the keepers and out. They are all connected so all are hot, just overlap some at the keepers. I use those wide keepers that just screw down on the tape with a flat bar, slides when it should, holds tight in high wind. So far so good, knock on wood. My tape is just to keep the boys off the wire mesh fencing behind it.

Latest posts

Back