Diet Food for Minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgtman

Reaction score
Have read discussions on putting fat mares on a low fat, no sugar diet in combination with thyrol L. We have very little grass due to the drought and have round bails in the pasture and feed 2 cups of grain per day. Is there a low fat no sugar feed for minis? Thanks, Bob

Perhaps Equine Adult.

I just put Equine Senior on my older stallion cause his teeth were bothering him, not only is he eating now with no pain but he has also lost some weight and is looking awsome! I plan on putting Equine Adult on some of my little hefty horses who don't do well on sweet feed.

Hays can also contain a fair amount of sugars, but in general a good grass hay and a ration balancer will be about your lowest carb diet.

I have a mare that foundered, so have to watch her carbs. Due to poor hay quality, I've ordered timothy hay pellets for my horses [had to order a whole pallet, so everyone is on them]. So, all my minis are one timothy pellets, Progressive Nutrition ProAdvantage grass balancer and some long-stem grass hay (for their chewing needs). I think they all look great.

Is there a low fat no sugar feed for minis?
Your lowest fat and carb (sugar and starch) feed is going to be a ration balancer (to be fed with appropriate hay or forage).

Triple Crown makes a low carb feed, Nutrena's Safe Choice is supposed to be low carb, some senior and adult complete feeds are low carb (not all are, as molasses is added to make them more palatable).

Latest posts

Back