Color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raine Ranch Minis

Reaction score
Ok all you color experts see if you know what color she is? She has a DARK red stripe down her back right now in her 2010 winter coat. I don't know if that helps. Her dad is a Snowcap/FewSpot bay app and her mom is a black & white pinto. Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png

This 1 she is clipped and this is current

htr5.jpg

This is her winter coat.

fuzzy.jpg

This is her summer coat without being clipped

Summer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Dun Sabino roan....but she has to have Appy if her dad was a Fewspot, so I guess she must have Varnish as well!

Unless her sire was actually dun under all that app there's no way she's a dun. She also looks like a sabino throughout her coat however she doesn't have much face or leg white. Though for varnish its odd that she's not retaining dark points. Were either of her parents sabino?

Id say she's a pink pony.

Was also thinking DUN, like Jane (Rabbit) said both because of her natural coat AND that you mentioned a line down her back.

But Dun needs to come directly from one of her parents. Yes, she's a mystery.
default_unsure.png

Dun on Appy is rarely obvious, whereas a noticeable line down a red animals back is rarely countershading, not in an adult, anyway.

She looks exactly like both of my chestnut varnish appaloosas (star and all-they are color/pattern twins!). They both have/had red lines down their backs, but not due to dun, it's because of the varnishing. The older mare is now just solid white but for a few red hairs here and there and then her red knees. I'm guessing the reason the mare doesn't show the darker knees is because she is clipped in the picture making her color a little wishy-washy.

Any chance you could post a picture of her sire? And also can you post a picture showing the red strip down her back?

I am wondering if the sire is bay or silver bay...or maybe bay dun.

His owner had him tested and it came back Ee with agouti and gg. I will have to take a picture of her back tomorow. Ok had to remove Photos I was just informed that I can't post pics of other peoples horses. Sorry

I've seen this boy before! Ok, I'm still going with chestnut varnish appaloosa-looking forward to seeing the pic of her back tomorrow.

The dam of Abbie was solid white except for a black head. Her dam was solid chestnut and her sire was a black and white pinto. No sabino roaning on either one of them and no dun or silver. GB came from a black appy dam and a bay stallion both where leopards. No sabino roaning, no dun, no gray and no silver. Will post pictures tomorow.

Not a true dorsal-it's there because she's varnishing out. I bet in another year or two she'll be almost all white except for some red hairs here and there and 'dirty' knees (my chestnut varnishes always look like they have dirty knees because it's the only place they retain a concentrated amount of color).

So now my final answer, Chestnut varnish appy
default_biggrin.png

I say no to sabino though she could have gotten it from her dam. Sounds like her dam is probably tobiano and splash so the star is most likely from the splash. Anyway, the 'roaning' is definitely varnish.

Thanks for all of the pictures!

Not a true dorsal-it's there because she's varnishing out. I bet in another year or two she'll be almost all white except for some red hairs here and there and 'dirty' knees (my chestnut varnishes always look like they have dirty knees because it's the only place they retain a concentrated amount of color).

So now my final answer, Chestnut varnish appy
default_biggrin.png

I say no to sabino though she could have gotten it from her dam. Sounds like her dam is probably tobiano and splash so the star is most likely from the splash. Anyway, the 'roaning' is definitely varnish.

Thanks for all of the pictures!

Your welcome! Thank you for all the input.

No, that is not a dorsal.

It is quite possible for Sabino to just sit there, causing a small star or a leg sock, for generations before it decides to come out as roaning. It is just one of those things. Sabino roaning does not have to be apparent in any relation in order for it to suddenly express.

Latest posts

Back