Cat up in a tree...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvwalkers

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I have had cats my whole life but never have had one go up a tree and not be able to get down :eek: . Jasper our 1 1/2 year old kitty has been in a tree for about an hour now. I followed his cries and found him way up top a big ol' oak tree. Since I have never had this happen was wondering what I should do? Do they tend to find a way down? sorry if this sounds silly
default_wacko.png
: , it is getting dark here and we don't have a ladder big enough to even try to go up and get him...Nikki
[/SIZE]

i'll be thinking of you Nikki! never had this happen so not sure what to tell you... you might wait for a while, even overnight, but if he's not down tomorrow... gee, i don't even know what to recommend! on the old TV shows when i was a kid they always called the fire dept. but these days i doubt they would go for it! maybe call the local humane society and ask for their recommendation?

It will come down. I say this from a recent experience. Shain's kitty got chased up a huge hickory tree by Fia. Now they play all the time so I thought this unusual. I figured she'd come down. That nite still up there when I checked so I figured come morning there she'd be in the barn BUT no...I call, I beg I plead. I'm alone, can't get a ladder even close. 2-3 days, I'm a wreck I go borrow a cat snare thingy from a rescue to try to snag her. I drive all the way home and she's down and then ran back up and then down. Do you suppose the barn cats were funnin me for 3 days!? BTW I looked all over the bottom of the tree and no poop, also I did notice that it rained one day but she was mysteriously dry?
default_wacko.png
: I do think I was snookered!

I am one that always thought that if i cat got up a tree, it would eventually figure out how to get back down.

I am not so sure anymore....

A few years ago our daughters house cat got outside and climbed a cottonwood tree. This tree is about 50' tall.

And of course she went almost to the top of it. She was so far up this tree that a extention ladder didnt' even come close to reaching her.

We tried coaxing her, but nothing worked. We thought that , if she spends 1 night in this tree that the next day she would figure out how to climb down herself.

It didn't happen.....into day 3 in the tree, we had run out of idea's so we called our local humane society, They suggested putting a can of tuna at the bottom of the tree.

Yeah right., i tried to explain how tall this tree was to this lady and she says, "well, the cat got up there, it will get down on it's own"

A friend suggested we call the fire department, which we did and they just laughed at us. And the guy tells me "hey lady we're not in Mayberry"

So, into day 6 of this cat up the tree, I finally called a local company that installs neon signs for business'. They have a big boom truck that has quite an extension on it.

So i hired this company to come out with their boom truck. It was a flat rate of $65/hr for the truck.

My husband had to get in the boom and the guy raised him up and manuvered him through the branches until he could reach the cat.

Needless to say, i don't think this cat was going to climb down this tree on her own after 6 days up there.

Of course everyone thought i was nuts (including my husband and the boom truck guy), to pay to get this cat.

We did have the cat declawed after that
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had such an incident about 4 years ago with a young cat who had been an apartment cat (not declawed). We had had her for about a month and she was now use to going outisde but she ran up the tree, all the way to the top :new_shocked: and wouldn't come down. The poor thing was absolutely terrified because she just didn't see to know HOW to get down. I tried everything as well and I was so upset because it was getting cold out, She went up in daylight and she wouldn't come down and then the sun started setting and the wind picked up :no: . I spent 2 hours at the base of the tree, in the dark with a flashlight, shaking a box of cat food and calling to this cat that was meowing so pitifully. My husband kept saying, "she will come down eventuall" which just upset me more because I knew how frightened she was. I got a ladder out and she would start coming down and then go back up :eek: . She finally came down enough that I finally was able to grab her and me who is on an ladder with the extension fully up and I am afraid of heights
default_wacko.png
: . But I got her down :bgrin . She never did that again, as a matter of fact the next day she was playing and up the darn tree she went again and I said "sister, this time you are on your own" and she came right back down and took off up the tree again.... she had conquered her fear and now to her it was just a toy to play with. Cats, honestly, lol.

So my suggestion is to stand at the base of the tree and keep calling and calling and calling... I am sure your guy trusts you and will come down but it may take you standing there for an hour or so... good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Well he's still up there screaming. I thought of the bucket truck thing if he didn't come down on his own but the tree is at the bottom of a steap incline and near the river so it would be to risky. I am going to keep my fingers crossed he's down by morning, poor guy, he's such a baby, always crying at the door to come in, hubby calls him the sissy cat. Thanks for the replies and stories
default_yes.gif
: , thinking positive, Nikki
[/SIZE]

Geez Nikki, your luck sounds like mine. Faith's new kitty was stuck up in ours for a few hrs, too. I rattled the food bag, and after a 45 min. backward desend, he made it down. I did check our fire dept. web page, and they just got a ladder truck, and they were willing to come out it i needed help. They did say they would do anything for our Little Faith
default_wub.png
: plus, I think they just wantd to play with their new truck.. But he did finally make it out..

Any updates this morning??? :lol:

[SIZE=14pt]oh jeeze, I thought I had posted this morning before I left the house but it's not here. Anyway, he is still up there
default_unsure.png
: , I was hoping he'd be down by the time I got home...nope...
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Jasper was at the door at 6am :aktion033: , went right for the food and water...then to take a nap...[/SIZE]

naughty kitty :eek: :eek:

just an FYI my worst climber in all history was a declawed cat (she was left tied to my stepmoms car in a grocery parking lot with a bag of litter, food and note ...LOL) :eek:
default_rolleyes.gif
: she would climb anything anytime.........she also sprained herself in the proccess...after her I switched to indoor only and fully clawed cats
default_wink.png
: my furniture looks like h_ell but my cats have yet to be killed by cars coyotes dogs and disease :bgrin

Latest posts

Back