Can anyone advise on a cart and harness size

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wtgr36

Reaction score
Also, the price range for a used (non show) cart (needs new tubes for tires, has been in storage) (Best place to buy those tubes also) that would fit a 38" and also possibly be used for a 35" mini as well?

I have someone near here that is selling hers, and not sure on how to size carts, it's been quite a few years since we've driven. She is saying "Make an offer"

I know the harnesses she has are for 34" minis, so they probably won't work for the big mini. I'm also open to any harness info. This cart would be used in the future for parades, around the ranch, etc...as these minis do drive, we just haven't had a cart, and will slowly work with our gelding first who is the 35" mini.

Any info sure would help, the info on here is really great, I know this is where to go for good information.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I drive horses that are mostly in the 35" to 38" size range, and my cart has 54" shafts. It works well for them. I'd have to measure it again to see how wide the shafts are at the front--can't remember offhand. 48" shafts are just too short for taller horses, especially since mine are all big movers--they are certain to hit the basket with their hind feet when we get going at a good road trot, and I don't want that happening.

I can't suggest what a price on a used cart should be. You can buy them brand new for around $500--a Frontier for example sells for $450 + shipping amd Ozark sells the CTM carts for $565 which includes shipping. Up here they are harder to find & cost more to get up here unless you go down to the US to pick one up and bring it back yourself, and there aren't a lot of used ones on offer, so they tend to hold their value quite well as long as they're kept in good condition.

I bought new tubes for my full size horse cart at a local bicycle/sporting goods shop, so I imagine they would have tubes for the Mini cart too--I haven't needed to buy any of those yet.

I drive horses that are mostly in the 35" to 38" size range, and my cart has 54" shafts. It works well for them. I'd have to measure it again to see how wide the shafts are at the front--can't remember offhand. 48" shafts are just too short for taller horses, especially since mine are all big movers--they are certain to hit the basket with their hind feet when we get going at a good road trot, and I don't want that happening.
I can't suggest what a price on a used cart should be. You can buy them brand new for around $500--a Frontier for example sells for $450 + shipping amd Ozark sells the CTM carts for $565 which includes shipping. Up here they are harder to find & cost more to get up here unless you go down to the US to pick one up and bring it back yourself, and there aren't a lot of used ones on offer, so they tend to hold their value quite well as long as they're kept in good condition.

I bought new tubes for my full size horse cart at a local bicycle/sporting goods shop, so I imagine they would have tubes for the Mini cart too--I haven't needed to buy any of those yet.
Great information, thank you so much, that helps alot. I'm going to go see the cart tomorrow, and will take measurements while I'm there. Does the shaft width vary quite a bit?

Okay, I went out & measured my cart just now; it's a CTM, and at the narrowest the shafts are 16" apart. I've measured the 48" ones for the same cart too (my friend has them on her cart as she drives smaller horses) but I don't remember for sure what they were--I want to say 12" or 14"--they look a lot smaller than mine.

It does depend on the make of the cart--I've seen some home made carts that had little shape to the shafts and so they were almost as wide at the narrowest as they were at the widest--which made them TOO wide IMO. My Smart Cart has adjustable shafts and goes from about 18" to 22", depending on how they are positioned. Again, that range is from memory only & could be a little out, but at their smallest they are wider than the CTM shafts.

One thing about metal shafts, they can be spread a bit to make them wider, or they can be squeezed together. You have to be careful not to crack them if they are the round tubing like what is used on the CTM or Frontier, and if they are the square tubing that is used on many home made carts then it takes a little muscle & some knowledge of just where/how to bend them so that they don't get bent in the wrong spot. I prefer not to try bending them myself--haven't had to with the Mini carts, but once got someone to reshape the shafts on a big horse cart we had.

Okay, I went out & measured my cart just now; it's a CTM, and at the narrowest the shafts are 16" apart. I've measured the 48" ones for the same cart too (my friend has them on her cart as she drives smaller horses) but I don't remember for sure what they were--I want to say 12" or 14"--they look a lot smaller than mine.
It does depend on the make of the cart--I've seen some home made carts that had little shape to the shafts and so they were almost as wide at the narrowest as they were at the widest--which made them TOO wide IMO. My Smart Cart has adjustable shafts and goes from about 18" to 22", depending on how they are positioned. Again, that range is from memory only & could be a little out, but at their smallest they are wider than the CTM shafts.

One thing about metal shafts, they can be spread a bit to make them wider, or they can be squeezed together. You have to be careful not to crack them if they are the round tubing like what is used on the CTM or Frontier, and if they are the square tubing that is used on many home made carts then it takes a little muscle & some knowledge of just where/how to bend them so that they don't get bent in the wrong spot. I prefer not to try bending them myself--haven't had to with the Mini carts, but once got someone to reshape the shafts on a big horse cart we had.

Thank you so much for taking the time to go out and measure and share this information. I feel alot better now going tomorrow with info and tape measure in hand. I'll let you know if I get my first cart tomorrow!

Around here, a used metal EE cart (like a manufactured frontier cart) go for around $250 to $300. You can easily buy new tubes/tires at walmart in the bike section. And a used harness (if well made and not a cheapy off of ebay) got for $150-250.

If the cart is homemade, I would say $150-200. Most of the time those were thrown together. Not well balanced and the seat is plywood.

I guess best bet is to see a picture. But if it is in good condition and just need tires, probably $300.

And you can see if she'd accept $400 and go from there for the set. The harness may size up if she had it on the smallest holes for the mini. And most carts can be anywhere from 48" to 54" shafts. Depends on the stride of the horse.

I would not put bigger than a 34"-35" in 48"shafts. The horse just starts to look too big for the cart. I have harnesses that I bought from Double TT Tack that I think would be good for the larger horses. I had to do a lot of cut down for the smaller 30"-32". They now carry an "A" harness that I really like for the smaller horses. Some carts have interchangable shafts so you can use 48" on the smaller guys and the 54" on the bigger ones. You just have to shop around. Good luck.

I HAVE 54'' SHAFTS ON MY CART AND I HAVE A 30" HORSE I DRIVE AND I'M ALSO TRAINING A 34" GELDING AND USE THE SAME HARNESS, JUST CHANGE ADJUSTMENTS TO FIT THE HORSE. EVERYTHING WORKS ON BOTH WITH NO PROBLEMS.

I have a mare that was 31 1/2" at a show. My cart had 54" shafts and it looked like the cart was just way too big. I had to change down to 48" shafts. It is all in how you want them to look.

Latest posts

Back