Big day for me tomorrow

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
It's water in the barn!!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Since 2001 I have carried water from the hose at the back of the house--to the big ole barn--and the horses are at the farthest end. In the winter, I carry it from the bath tub. Since 2005, with 5-7 minis, it's been 20-30 gal a day on average. I have two 6 gal containers--I can only haul 5 gal on each side. We have hooked hoses up in the summers... made life easier. But tomorrow a "hydrant" is going in the barn--half way to the horses. The water guy said he could hook it up so a tube went over each stall bucket and with the flick of a switch water would fill buckets, but I said I didn't need to get that fancy.
default_smile.png

This is going to be sweet.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost got water at my barn this fall, but the guy with the backhoe backed out last minute.
default_sad.png

aktion033.gif
Wow you are going luxury
aktion033.gif
Good for you. I have to carry water to the barn in the winter so I know what this will mean for you.

Yahhooooooooooooooooooooo

YAY Karla! You will love it! That is a very cool thing to have.

You'll love water in the barn. I have automatic watering bowls in most of my stalls. Though I do have to lug water outside in winter but hubby helps so not so bad. We each take 2 pails and fill them 3/4 full and dump it in the stallions buckets. The mares we can use the hose from the milk house to water them, it has hot or cold water so if the bucket has ice on it we just run the hot water on it until the ice is melted enough that we can take it out.

It's IN!! The yard is a mess--big mess--but I changed the water in the 16 gal heated bucket and filled stalls in so little time. Wow! So happy!

Okay--here's the job--worth every overturned stone. And there are a LOT of stones.
default_yes.gif

002-3.jpg

006-7.jpg

007-4.jpg

010-2.jpg

I'm so happy for you
default_aktion033.gif

I can't imagine hauling all that water, winter is bad enough on its own

you won't know what to do with all that free time and energy
default_rolleyes.gif

Love the last picture, now that says a thousand words

again big congrats

How totally exciting! I don't have water in the barn at this place so I'm seriously jealous! Congratulations.

Karla, just a word of caution about maintenance of your freeze free spigot...brace it by running a board or metal post down beside it, with it set in concrete or at least keep it very well lubed with WD40 so when you are pulling the handle up to turn it on, you don't put any pressure on the right angle joint underground. Take it from my experience, you don't want to be digging it up because of a leak from a crack from pressure of wrenching it up to turn it on.

Enjoy my dear!

How totally exciting! I don't have water in the barn at this place so I'm seriously jealous! Congratulations.

Karla, just a word of caution about maintenance of your freeze free spigot...brace it by running a board or metal post down beside it, with it set in concrete or at least keep it very well lubed with WD40 so when you are pulling the handle up to turn it on, you don't put any pressure on the right angle joint underground. Take it from my experience, you don't want to be digging it up because of a leak from a crack from pressure of wrenching it up to turn it on.

Enjoy my dear!
Thanks, Parmela! I will do that before everything has returned to a normal state. Lubing is easy.
default_yes.gif

I don't think I'll ever push that handle up without smiling.

Good for you! Another word of advice - make absolutely sure that every time you shut it off, you shut it off completely until it clicks. On my hydrants, the water can stop without the handle being fully down, and it will FREEZE!

If it does freeze, a hair dryer, or even better a heat gun, on the head and pipe will make short work of the freeze.

Karla,

I a THRILLED for you! I remember how wonderful it was just a few short years ago when I first had water in my new barn
default_smile.png

Susan O.

Congrats.You must be so excited.another suggestion.NEVER leave a hose attached in freezing weather.For some reason it may cause your spigot to freeze.All of us horsey people can get so excited for our friends' good fortune.Happy watering.

Congrats.You must be so excited.another suggestion.NEVER leave a hose attached in freezing weather.For some reason it may cause your spigot to freeze.All of us horsey people can get so excited for our friends' good fortune.Happy watering.
Really? The hose doesn't reach the floor...it dangles. I can't hold the water container up to catch the water without a hose--faucet is too high. The installers said it will drain with no trouble...
default_unsure.png

Latest posts

Back