Awful Week for Thoroughbred Racing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
This month has been a tragic one for those of us who follow thoroughbred racing. We have lost five of the greats, two of them today alone.
default_no.gif

Gone West - He was euthanized on September 7 because of complications from colic surgery. He was one of the greatest sires standing in the last few decades. He was 25 and the sire of Da Hoss, Johar and Smarty Jones among others.

El Prado - He died of an apparent heart attack in his paddock on September 21. He was only 20, an Irish-Bred who sired some amazing horses, including Kitten's Joy and Medaglia D'Oro.

Summer Squall - He was euthanized on September 22 due to simply old age. He was best known during his racing career for his rivalry with Unbridled in the 1990 Triple Crown series. He was 22. His best offspring were Charismatic and Storm Song.

Cryptoclearance - He was euthanized today after complications from colic surgery. Like Gone West, he was a member of the incredible 1984 crop. He produced many talented racers, the best known among them being Victory Gallop.

Kona Gold - He was euthanized today after a paddock accident at Kentucky Horse Park that caused a spiral fracture in his left front leg. He was only 15, a wonderful gelding and former Champion Sprinter. He was enjoying his retirement at KHP after being a pony horse for several years.

Rest well, wonderful boys! All of them are now over the rainbow bridge where they can run free and fast to their hearts content.
default_sad.png

Thank you for posting that. We've been so busy with mini horse things and trying to get everything back in place and put away after Nationals, I haven't kept up with the T.B. news. I was the office manager on the farm where and when Gone West was foaled. My office window overlooked the maternity paddock, and I will never forget how proud that boy was when he walked out of the barn the morning after his arrival. He knew he was special, and everyone that saw him knew it too! To all those boys, I say "Good boys, run and play across that Rainbow Bridge, enjoy being young again, and know what pride and enjoyment you gave to everyone while you were here!"

Latest posts

Back