Anyone seen anything like this before?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnRs Lilnickers

Reaction score
Our filly Hope was born with one nostril larger than the other one and her eye on the same side also seems to have a problem. She is perfectly healthy otherwise. Has anyone ever seen anything like this or have any idea what might have caused this? Do you think she might outgrow this? Not that it really matters as she is a little sweethear, just wondering what could have happened.

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0017-1.jpg

I honestly have no idea, but... The eye mostly just looks irritated, so perhaps not related to the nostril issue. And, could her nostril/nose be a form of "wry nose"; while I've not personally seen it, I've read a little about it (still don't really understand it, but I've read about it).

Does look a little like wry nose but that doesnt affect the eye. The eye is definitely not right. If she was mine I would have a vet come evaluate as I would be concerned about sinus problems with this going up to the eye. Her eye is very red and irritated so I would think it maybe cause an infection traveling from the sinus to the eye. But thats just a guess!

Sending good thoughts!

Kay

Looking with a zoom at that last picture, it does look to me like the nostril and eye are "pulled together", and the corner of the eye is actually tight and pulling towards the nostril. With it being kept open this much at the corner, I don't doubt she has gotten some dirt in there that is causing the redness and possible infection. With the way the hair is different along that side too, I wonder if this was caused by an embrionic injury of some kind?? It reminds me of how scar tissue will pucker.
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png

I too, would have a Vet come out and take a look. If the corner of her eye is indeed being pulled down, there might be a simple surgery that can be done to help.

It could be that it was a tight fit in the womb and her front leg rested there during the pregnancy. If that is the case, it is possible that she will outgrow it and it will correct itself as her face fills out. It could be the same for correcting the eye issues as well. But it never hurts to have a vet look at it when they are there.

thanks for posting that is very strange. I wonder how it will affect her bite? Other than that she's really pretty. I hope she does grow out of it for you.

-Angel

Hmmm, that is really something. I agree, it looks like something just kind of messed up while in the the mare. I hope it will fix itself, but it looks almost like a scar, so doubt it will.

I personally didn't think the eye looked irritated, just the darker red in the corner of the eye is showing because it is being pulled tight. If it was irritated, there would be a steady stream of tears coming, and I see no sign of that in these pics...just the mark from the "deformity". (for lack of a better word)

Hard to say for sure without a direct front shot of her face, but it does look a little wry mouthed. We had one a few years ago - first and only - and it was not completely obvious when she was born. Something was "off", but as she grew it became quite clear. Hope you have your filly vet checked, esp since her eye seems to be involved, and let us know what you find.

Jan

What a pretty filly.

What you show does remind me of some of the deformaties I have seen related to high nitrate levels in the feed/forage during the mare's first trimester of pregnancy...although I imagine thare are many things which could cause deformaties. Head issues seem to be the first thing to show up in the milder cases of nitrate caused issues.

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
For sure get her to a vet for an exam. Her skin around her eye looks deformed. It may not change her vision but from how the outer edge of the eye is formed she may have tear duct issues it looks from the pictures that there may be damaged tissue there. I'd also check inside her mouth to make sure her jaw is formed okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
At first look it made me think of the cleft lip/palate situation sometimes seen in humans.

Wonder if the palate is properly formed?

Such a sweet girl
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back