Any Connection between Red Bag Delivery/Premature Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLS

Reaction score
Yesterday was not a good day. Awoke at 7:30 with a splitting headache from having a wisdom tooth out the day before. Glanced at the monitor to check a mare due to foal, April 18th, much to my surprise, the mare in the next stall due on April 24th, was licking a foal.!!

I bolted to the barn to find a dead foal still in the sac, and what was weird, the after birth and cord were underneath the newly arrived foal. Hubby helped me remove the foal, the mare seemed okay, and hubby sent me back to the house to deal with this terrible headache.

A few hours later, I could not stand this not knowing what happened, took the bagged foal into our local vet clinic to examine the foal. I needed to know what went wrong here. This is the 3rd foal for this mare who has always foaled a text book delivery on day 324 without any complications.

Vet determined this sleek little black filly with appy characteristics, born at 284 days from last breeding, was perfectly conformed, and well nourished. He commented the foal was very "fresh" meaning it had not been deceased long, he could tell from the placenta that there were no infections. Was not sure about the condition of the cord......it was twisted a bit. So diagnosis was a perfect foal just born six weeks too early. I declined on sending the foal onto a veterinary school for future examination. Vet asked if mare may have fallen and/or gotten injured. Well we still have over a foot of ice and snow here........anything is possible.

My question, has anyone had a foal born via red bag delivery that was also born premature. Maybe it was not a red bag delivery........I am only guessing. Would appreciate any comments. This is our 3rd loss in 15 years of breeding minis.........so guess we have been lucky, but have never lost a foal so close to term...........and it is heart breaking.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I am sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
About three weeks ago by mare had a red bag delivery and the foal from what everyone was saying was born about 4-6 weeks to early. He was born alive but I dont think his lungs were developed enough to stay alive. There was nothing wrong with him. He was perfectly formed and looked normal except he was premature. The mare was just fine, didnt seem to have any problems foaling and had no infection that I could tell. I still have no idea why she foaled early but it seems weird becuase it seems like there have been a few foals born premature this yr. Would be nice to know if there is a cause for them foaling premature.

Alisha

I don't know as though I'd say there is any connection as I've talked to plenty of people who's mares have had a red bag delivery close enough to term to save the foal. In our case with our mare last year she was seven mos gestation when she aborted with a red bag delivery. The foal was born dead, however it was pink and warm so I don't think it had been dead very long.

We did send our foal to the lab and they found no cause. Mother nature knows best. When you look at the whole process from conception to birth it is amazing that there are so many healthy babies born.

I am very sorry for your loss. Hugs. I am glad that your mare is doing well.

default_no.gif
i am so sorry for your loss.

I pray the mare will be okay.

It is very hard to loss a foal.

Keep us posted on your mare.

you and your mare will be in our prayers.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Most of the red bags we have had were full term or very close to it, and the foals were alive. I have lost some prematurely where the cord was twisted. Everything else perfectly normal but cord twisted, badly in some cases, and if memory serves the placenta was detached and delivered first in those cases.

I am sorry for your loss, no matter what the reason.

We have a couple of mares - related - who are prone to red bag deliveries. I have found that if I put them on SMZ about 30 days prior to due date they have normal deliveries. Just started one yesterday, as she is about 20 days out and starting to bag up.

Jan

One year we lost a colt at about 290 days with a twisted cord. That was the only thing wrong. Our vet said the foal died in utero and the placenta started to detach. Not a true "red bag" but none the less, very traumatic for our mare. He could give no reason for the cord to twist other than fetal distress. I suspect your red bag might have been due to the foal dying first.

If she did not have any udder development it would be impossible to know she would have foaled.

We have not seen a red bag in our premature foals. It may have been a normal delivery, just the foal needed help getting out of the sac. If it was alive or dead at that point, or had developed lungs we will never know.

I think all of us that have foaled a lot of minis have been in your shoes.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

Latest posts

Back