Another Slow feeder option

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billiethekid40

Reaction score
There have been a few slow feeder threads lately, and rather than try to post on them all I wanted to post this link on a new thread so more people might see it.

Slow Down Hay Feeder

There are a few different homemade versions of this that I've seen, made with barrels or troughs where the grate is made of plywood and hooked or bungied to the bottom of a large barrel cut in half, or a water trough if desired for feeding multiple horses. You could make them in several sizes depending on the needed use- paddock with multiple horses or in the stall or paddock for a single horse. Remember to add drainage holes for outdoor use, and the grate must be attatched to the bottom somehow to keep the horses from simply lifiting it out.

I like the look of this kind of feeder because the horse can still eat in a head down position (more natural and less dust in the eyes) and because you can control the size of the holes if you make it yourself. They can also be made with materials that are easy to find or purchase and with simple tools many people own or could borrow. This site has photos of a homemade one using a large blue barrel, but you could use the same idea to make one for a smaller bucket or a larger trough:

homemade feeder

Here is a photo of one made out of a trough, but with a metal grate instead of plywood:

Trough feeder

Latest posts

Back