Ammendment Passed!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniature217

Reaction score
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnew...=57628&subsec=1

Slaughter amendment passes U.S. Senate

The United States Senate on Tuesday joined the U.S. House of Representatives by overwhelmingly passing an amendment to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Appropriations Bill that will remove federal funding for mandated meat inspectors at the three remaining, foreign-owned horse slaughterhouses in the United States.

If signed into law by President George Bush, it effectively would shut them down when the 2006 fiscal year begins October 1.

The U.S. House of Representatives passed an identical bill on June 8, 269-158.

The Senate amendment, introduced on Tuesday by Senator John Ensign (R-Nevada), a former veterinarian, passed 68-29.

I actually do not see how this shuts them down. It simply means they will now have to pay for meat inspection out of the proceeds. This might entail the additional cost of one or two cents a pound in the cost of horse meat. The passing of this bill is more for the popularity of the members of the house and senate who passed the bill not much more.

I hate to say it, and know I will get flamed for it, but I hate to see them go.

Honestly there are alot of horses out there that I would rather see there then where they are at now.

We we dont have a place for that, that will just mean more staveing, half dead horses being made to suffer in a pasture.

I agree Ashley, I could not survive without my friendly neighbourhood Knacker- of course all mine have been put down on the farm, I would never let them travel.

We also have to remember in the olden days people thought it was best when there horses were no longer able to work to send them to a slaughter plant then to pass them long, and chance they may be abused. My great grandpa was one of them people that felt that way.

The United States Senate on Tuesday joined the U.S. House of Representatives by overwhelmingly passing an amendment to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Appropriations Bill that will remove federal funding for mandated meat inspectors at the three remaining, foreign-owned horse slaughterhouses in the United States.
OK so it will only effect 3 foriegn owned houses......says nothing of american owned houses.......and it isn't shutting them down.....it simply is forcing them to pay for their inspections.....costing them a bit more and possibly driving UP the the prices.......in effect making the meat market more lucrative.........

hmmm I do not see how this does anything to shut them down
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

Latest posts

Back