Alternative to slaughtering horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckskin gal

Reaction score
Those arthritic, lame, sick or weak horses who are in humanly hauled to slaughter houses may have an alternative. This is from THE HORSE

Composting Could Be a Viable Alternative for Carcass Disposal

by: Chad Mendell, Staff Writer

October 2006 Article # 7825

Article Tools

Last year, 94,000 horses were slaughtered--a number that seems to be increasing for 2006--and another 100,000 were euthanatized. With horse slaughter on the edge of extinction in the United States and the practice of carcass rendering on the endangered list, horse owners will need to look at other environmentally friendly ways of carcass disposal. That solution might be composting.

Researchers at West Texas A&M have recently perfected a technique or "recipe" to compost large carcasses, including horses. They said composting could provide an alternative means for horse-carcass disposal if the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act is passed.

The concept of large-carcass composting had grown to be a more accepted practice among feed yards and dairies in recent years. Researchers contend that composting provides an environmentally friendly way of carcass disposal in addition to burial, rendering, landfill disposal, or incineration, which can sometimes be costly to the owners or unfriendly to the enviornment.

"If they don't go to slaughter, they will have to go somewhere else," Lance Baker, PhD, MS, West Texas A&M University associate professor of animal science, told AgNews.

Last year, Baker, along with Brent W. Auvermann, PhD, MS, assistant professor of Agricultural Engineering, and Laurie Brown, a Texas A&M graduate student, conducted trails in an attempt to refine the process.

Auvermann, who has researched large-carcass composting for about five years, said, "Since we had already done some work with dairy cattle, which weigh about 1,400 pounds, a Quarter Horse at 1,000 pounds wasn't much different. The main thing is: the larger the carcass, the higher the stakes. It is critical that whoever does it, does it right."

Auvermann designed three composting "recipes" to test on horses. They consisted of a 100% stall waste (manure and horse bedding) mixture, a 50/50 mixture of cattle manure and hay waste, and a 50/50 stall waste and cattle manure mix. The group found that either 50/50 mixture worked better than the 100% stall waste.

COURTESY WEST TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY

Stall cleanings from the horse barns at West Texas A&M University are piled over a horse carcass and watered down to begin the composting process.

To compost a single carcass, researchers placed it on a bed of chopped straw before adding other materials. To jumpstart the process, Auvermann advised using pre-composted materials (because it already contains the needed bacteria) before adding the carcass.

The key to any compost pile is the moisture and nutrient content. Excessive moisture in compost creates problems, states Kathy Corwin Doesken, a research associate in the Department of Soil and Crop Sciences at Colorado State University. It can cause compost to leach harmful chemicals into the soil, and it can displace oxygen within the pile, which creates an anaerobic condition that produces an unpleasant odor and phytotoxic (toxic to plants) substances. To check the moisture content in the compost, Doesken said to squeeze the material in your fist. "If it sticks together, it is about 50% moisture and just right," she explains. "If free water can be squeezed out, it is too wet. If the material does not hold together at all, additional water should definitely be added."

The temperature of the compost pile can be a good indicator to determine if the process is working properly. Temperatures in the pile can reach 131ºF-155ºF within 24 hours and should remain there for several weeks to a month.

"Heat generated in composting promotes the growth of the type of microorganisms that begin breaking down the organic material, and kills pathogens, parasites, and weed seeds," Doesken explained.

Auvermann advises using a 48-inch compost thermometer (available online at www.Reotemp.com or www.Gardeners.com) to monitor temperatures throughout the pile.

In the study trials, researchers turned the pile with the use of a front loader tractor after three months. At that time, only a few large bones remained. At six months, no identifiable pieces were left.

Baker said the entire process from start to spreading compost on the fields takes about seven to nine months.

"Without renderers to go to, this could become a big market," Baker told AgNews. "If you look at it environmentally and politically, it works. It's the whole circle of life thing. You grow the grass to feed the animals and then turn around and use them to do the same thing for the next generation."

What's wrong with cremation??

It's big business over here since foot and mouth.

Incidentally the problem would be that people would not want to think of old Bessie lying under that muck and would not do it properly- sorry for being cynical but basically, if it had been that simple we would not, now, be constantly having to dig out the hundreds, no THOUSANDS of dead animals that were disposed of in so many ways during foot and mouth- all according to government conditions, not just willy nilly, and now are found to have been disposed of on top of water courses etc,

Even with surface "burial" like this it would have to be properly authorised as it could leak into a water course- unless each individual "burial" was carried out inside a container- I can't see people going for it if they are daft enough to allow horse slaughter to be stopped in the first place, from misplaced sentiment, then they are not going to want old Bessie rotting in the yard!!!

Sorry, this sounds a bot harsh, it is not meant to, but I honestly do not see this as an alternative- what on earth is wrong with horse slaughter??

Dog food/people food, basically once it's dead, who cares??

The problem, as I think we all know only too well, is not what happens after it's dead, but what happens before it's dead.

This is being approached from exactly the wrong end!!

In this country, the rendering plants live on. They take the already dead animals and render them. The slaughter houses must take live animals and are the ones under fire.

I do know of somebody who composted her deceased minis, she is very careful who she tells, as some people would not find it an acceptable solution, but personally, I feel it is a good option if you are set up for it.

I don't think anything would be wrong with cremation if it was more affordable for private owners. I have a pony I paid $200 for about 12 years ago. Last winter he was rapidly going down hill (turned out that the people who were supposedly taking care of him for me weren't doing what they were supposed to) and I looked into cremation in case I needed to have him euthanised. It was going to be $925 US plus a $200 pick up fee. For someone like me, that is a LOT of money.

The problem, as I think we all know only too well, is not what happens after it's dead, but what happens before it's dead.

I completely agree but for many people what happens to the remains is a big deal. I also agree that the people who are fighting against slaughter are unlikely to like the idea of their beloved animal being composted. I just prefer to focus on trying to make their lives better and their deaths more humane. I'd rather my beloved animals remains be put to good use than just go to waste. But I feel the same thing about my own remains.

There was actually a thing on the radio one morning--they have a daily agriculture report--about a compost canister that is available for smaller farm animals, from pig size down. You put the carcass & whatever else into this canister thing, and it turns every so many hours--I forget the time frame, but in a matter of time the carcass is fully composted. They talked of coming up with one for larger animals (cattle) but at this point there isn't one that big.

I can see a canister composter would be more acceptable to many people (owners as well as neighbors!) than just having the horse's carcass buried in a manure pile (which is what it amounts to). Some horse owners that live in areas with certain zonings are not allowed to have any manure accumulation at all--which means no manure/horse compost piles either. You'd definitely have to be careful of some neighbors knowing about the composting, because certainly some would complain if they knew the little manure pile over there contained a dead horse! Wouldn't matter if they didn't see it or smell it, knowing it is enough! As well, there are plenty of horse owners that don't own a tractor, and would be unable to turn the compost pile as required.

The problem with a canister is, how many horse owners would actually want to have to buy the contraption & then have it sitting in the yard waiting for its next use?

I see nothing wrong with cremation!!! As the article says, this alternative...not saying there aren't other ways, " is critical that whoever does it, does it right." Also, as some have stated it is also about a humane way to handle the ones who are not in shape to be hauled to slaughter houses...getting trampled by others who are stronger etc. I really find it odd that when an alternative to humane treatment is brought up it can be met with such skepticism/negativity. The article definitely states " is critical that whoevever does it, does it right"
default_rolleyes.gif
: I do believe tht it is a possible alternative to hauling the horses to slaughter that are in danger of being ill treated because they are already in bad shape. My concern is for the best interest of a living breathing creature. Mary

It's big business over here since foot and mouth.

Incidentally the problem would be that people would not want to think of old Bessie lying under that muck and would not do it properly- sorry for being cynical but basically, if it had been that simple we would not, now, be constantly having to dig out the hundreds, no THOUSANDS of dead animals that were disposed of in so many ways during foot and mouth- all according to government conditions, not just willy nilly, and now are found to have been disposed of on top of water courses etc,

Even with surface "burial" like this it would have to be properly authorised as it could leak into a water course- unless each individual "burial" was carried out inside a container- I can't see people going for it if they are daft enough to allow horse slaughter to be stopped in the first place, from misplaced sentiment, then they are not going to want old Bessie rotting in the yard!!!

Sorry, this sounds a bot harsh, it is not meant to, but I honestly do not see this as an alternative- what on earth is wrong with horse slaughter??

I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I thought this was being put forward as an alternative to burying after slaughter at home??

Obviously the Answer to an animal being in no fit condition to travel is to not allow it to travel??

So...legislation to make these things impossible would seem to be the way to go, as I said, the wrong end of the problem always seems to be attacked- horse slaughter is necessary but none of us, I know, would allow an old arthritic horse to be taken to a slaughter house.

If it is unacceptable why is it allowed??

I KNOW this is simplistic- I am not saying it would be easy to do, just suggesting it might be the way to do it.

It is all very well saying that it has to be done properly- but, if I am understanding you right, this time, we are dealing with people that would consider sending a horse that is old and arthritic to a slaughter house??

So why would they bother about regulations that would probably not be enforced??

Surely the answer would just be to have the animal shot at home and let the knacker take the carcass for rendering??

This is what I have always done and, although I now have to pay for it it is not as much as having the animal cremated which would be done by the same person but would cost me around $800.00- they also give you back a box with the cremated remains in them- at least they say they are but I am pretty sure a DNA sample would soon prove otherwise!!!

Yes, I am sorry, I am cynical.

I do try not to be but the plain truth is that my cynicism is almost always correct.

I wish it weren't.

Honest.

Although I think the concept sounds viable, I also agree that few individual owners would likely be able to do this correctly; as pointed out, many of us don't have the tractor and attachments necessary to turn a composting carcass correctly, much less follow all of the other parameters to the letter.

We have an additional problem in my area. About a year ago, the only rendering plant suddenly said they would no longer deal with horse carcasses-period! Word is it was due to harassment from PETA...in any event, it now is a very difficult, and quite costly, undertaking to dispose of a horse carcass. Supposedly, there is an animal crematory that was going to retool to handle larger animals, but at a LARGE cost-and I've not heard that that has actually come to pass. Now, a handful of private carriers will pick one up, but at a high cost-and on top of that, there are fees at the landfills of several sorts, none of them inexpensive! If you have a horse euthanized, you must do it at the vet's, in your trailer, and pay for a certification from the vet that the horse had no communicable disease-then undergo the horrible experience of hauling it to the only landfill that will accept dead animals, pay several fees(including an 'unloading' fee), wait for who knows how long, then watch the personnel handle the body of your beloved horse as if it were a bag of sh*t.... Not a pleasant prospect, do you think? (Another thanks to those "LOVELY"folks in PETA... :new_let_it_all_out:

I am fortunate to live on 10 acres, in a rural area where I still have some control over what I can do on my own land(and the water table is DEEP; I would never risk a water supply)-AND, a mini is much simpler to bury than a full-sized horse! I already have two buried here(one, I buried myself, by hand-a stillborn tiny foal--I also have buried a cat, a rat, a bird, two large and six small dogs, having lived here for over 26 years--they were all our dear pets. I have a couple of old retirees here, so will likely be facing this issue again before too long, and am SO grateful that I have the option of burial here at home!

Margo

"Obviously the Answer to an animal being in no fit condition to travel is to not allow it to travel??"

Maybe over there they don't allow crippled or sick horses to travel but it goes on all the time here. They are hauled to the auctions in bad shape and then they are again loaded up to be hauled to the slaughter houses!! Seen it with my own eyes!!
default_sad.png
Laws aren't going to make a difference because too many would rather get rid of the creature and make $50.00 on it rather than deal with it themselves. Like the article says, this alternative is not for just anybody to try and use....it is for those who know how to do it right.

You really answer your other question with this remark "So why would they bother about regulations that would probably not be enforced?? Why make more laws such as not hauling a crippled creature when you know for a fact that many don't care about the laws and regulations. There is no onesimple answer to this complex problem of handling animals that are no longer usefull to their owners. I would like to see that each breeder has to be accountable for what they have but know that won't happen because no one can legistate responsibility. Like I said, I posted the alternative in hopes of people considering it as such, not to prove I am right or anything else....because i have no need to think I am right and sombody else is wrong. Mary

On the composting issue, I don't recall what channel or where they were located, but... A big landfill company is now composting the biodegradeable waste including animal carasses and then using it for compost (I don't think they are selling it comercially yet, but using it for public parks and such, after fully composted). They are composting roadkill, livestock and other animals.

Latest posts

Back