Advice needed on feral/wild cat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
I really don't understand why people think their pets are disposable. Over the years I have rescued so many and spent thousands of dollars on vet bills for them. Now that I'm retired and living month to month on a small amount I just can no longer afford all of this. Two years ago someone threw, yes threw two kittens out of their car into the road. This is common aroung here in the boonies, one female had road rash so bad there were maggots in her body. Sorry to be so graphic, she had to be put down, I took both to the vet. The male was salvagable but had ear mites, worms, and needed shots, all at my expense. This isn't the first time, two I took off the road werent' even old enough to be weaned, had to bottle feed, one male I spent $950 on to make like a female becuase of blockage, and it was obvious someone dropped him off because he was tame. The yr. later I had to put him down, becuase he got worse. I've got three dogs here now, that are nice, but dump offs, and still have the male that I found in the road two years ago, not nuetured, simply because I can't afford it, but at least he is friendly, and pretty much stays in the barn. Now someone has dumped off a female that is totaly wild. If she sees me she heads for the hills. She will come into the tack room and eat the other cats food, but doesn't want anything to do with humans. I don't know if she's had any shots, and I don't think she is spayed becuase yesterday I heard her howling like they do when looking for a male.

There used to be an orgainzation around here called the lucky ones, I could call and they would bring out a trap, catch the cat, then spay or nueture, then rerelease, but they went out of business due to lack of donations. I called the local animal control and they said they would bring a trap then take her in and put her to sleep since she is feral.

should I do that? I would hate to think I caused her to be put down, but then again, can't think of having hundreds of feral cats running around with rabies so prevalent. Help!

I feel your pain. I would be ok with a couple of cats in the barn but they do tend to multiply. My neighbor at one time had close to 40. Her original two were females that she had fixed. All the others were showups or children of showups. Her numbers have dwindled thanks to coyotes and illness. We have 2 females here. One is a showup and the other is a child of hers from a few years back. Every year they gift us with a litter each. I try hard to find homes for them. If they get old enough to stray into the pasture they end up with death by anatolian shepherd. And a neighbors tomcat decided this is his home thanks to my husband giving him food and attention. The younger female would be easy enough to catch and get her fixed. She thinks she is supposed to take every step we take. Right now the older has 4 kittens that I will be begging people to take.

Sorry, I am no help in whatever you decide. Tough decision.

After many situations like yours I have come to the conclusion that I CAN'T SAVE THE WORLD! or every kitty that comes my way. I have spent over $2000 I could use elsewhere on such situations the last 6 months.

I know it's hard to give up on a little life that has come to you, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Get animal control to trap her and do what they must.

It's sad to think of the little lives lost, but they didn't get there by your actions. If she is a breeding female and you have an intact male, you know where that will lead.... Good Luck and my heart goes out to you...

Terry, I know how much of an animal lover you are.If you don't do anything the cat will most likely reproduce and could cost you LOTS of money bringing who knows what to your well cared for animals.I know it is a tough decision,but trapping(if possible)and letting the others deal with her IMO is the best option.IMO we have to do what is best for our own animals that we are attached to and have cared for.

Ok, when I put it in a people perspective...sometimes you have to cut ties with those that bring you down. The last two posters helped me see that. Good luck and good riddance to cats that show up here.

You can't save them all, I agree with what others have said....call animal control and wash your hands of it. You can't be responsible for every animal that some low life drops off. You have to watch out for yourself and your animals. It's not easy, but usually the best.

I want to thank all of you for your comments and advice. Problem is I think I made up my mind to call animal control before I posted, but, guilt at taking an innocent life is a little overwhelming. I must realize that I can no longer afford to pay for all of these little ones that others have just dumped off, and therefore they must suffer the consequenses of their ignorant owners. Back in the 1990's I was bitten by a rescued feral cat that had rabies and had to undergo all the shots, you would think I would learn a lesson from that, but, you guys are right if I don't worry about myself I must worry about my own furry pets and horses. You have eased my guilt with your responses and I thank you, I'll call animal control on Mon. Done deal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, I'm so sorry for your position. I've been there, done that, have the thousands and thousands of dollars in vet bill from over the years to prove it. I'm sorry you were feeling guilty, but you also have an obligation to care for YOUR people and pets first. Your limited income must be put towards your family (people and pets) before it can go elsewhere. And in tough times, there isn't going to be much, if any, left over that can go elsewhere.

You are making the right decision. I think it would be more horrible if she was left to reproduce hundreds (or more) kits that would then end up with who knows what fate, all to do it over again themselves. I personally support your stance much more than the people I know who let their barn cats run around, un-altered, making hundreds more to get run over in the street, stepped on by horses, die of starvation, die of disease, etc. This is much more humane, imo.

Hugs to you.

Glad you made a decision that you can live with.We have had to make some hard decisions here on the farm. We have 1 neutered barn cat.He stays here on the farm.We've got a nice big old dairy barn with a loft and lots of mice.We have told the neighbors in the surrounding development that cats on this property are fair game for the SSS approach.Karl had 3 baby bunnies in a building in a cage.He had them so friendly that they would come over to anything to get luv vins.He went down 1 morning and all were dead-legs pulled through the wire and chewed off.I have had bunnies before in the barn and saw the cat pull them through to kill.We have told the neighbors-if you don't want harm to come to them don't let them outside without supervision.Cats are hunters especially when left out to roam all night. I have also come down to the barn in the morning to be greeted by the stench of male cat urine all over my beautiful grass hay stack.That's when I go in KILL mode. I need to protect the animals here that I am responsible for.

I also think you have done the right thing. I have a cat problem because my neighbor has over 40 cats and it is not because these cats have been dumped, well initially not anyway. I have my own barn cats, fixed! My cat food bill is sky high because his cats come over to eat, not sure if he feeds them or not. They do however come over and fight which to me is worse, vet bills to get my cats medical Ttention from these fights. Anyway, in your circumstances, we know that an unfixed and unvaccinated cat's life expantancy is about 4 Years. It is a tough choice you made BUT probably the most humane. Hugs to you.

This thread is a PSA of sorts.

If you are lucky enough to have feral cat groups, PLEASE support them. They do so much for both the feral cats AND for pet owners who realize the dangers feral cats pose for themselves and others. These nonprofits face a thankless task, yet they continue to do all they can.

...and PLEASE be sure to spay and neuter all of your cats and dogs. Thank you for having taken in those you can and caring for them.

I hear you. We have a wonderful woman not far from me who takes in cats, she has set things up as a charitable organization and rightly so, she use to pay everything out of her own salary. When she started doing this . I believe she has been doing this for more than 8 years now. Unfortunately she has over 150 cats at the moment to find a forever home for. I started with one barn kitten, a throw away basically. I now have 10 barn cats ALL fixed but more keep showing up. I called our animal control who is also the owner of a rescue and he politely said "Danielle, I don't know what to tell you , this was about the fact my neighbor had over 40 cats that always end up migrating to our house for food poor things,... He said all I can suggest is "shoot them". Well for those that know me I was appalled, angry, depressed, at being told such a thing. No way could I ever do that! So my feed bill goes up every month, my vet bill too, thank goodness my vet gives me good rates for spaying and neutering because she knows what is going on and she helps me place these cats too, thank goodness.

I really appreciate all of the advice and support. Seems this little girl has dissappeared for now, but then again we have all been outside most of day. She's really small, you know the type, black and white small compact body, short tail, wants nothing to do with people. Was next door last Friday according to my neighbor that called and said my cat was over there. Not my cat, poor thing has no one, but I'm still going to call on Mon. but I have to leave on Fri. for Ohio, so If she's not caught before then, guess I'll close the trap till I get back.

We have most feral cats/kittens that show up here put down. I know it sounds cruel, but most are intact males that lead a pretty hard life...and they are likely full of disease and parasites. We breed our dogs and our Ragdoll cats, so can't afford to have nasty things show up here. We have brought puppies back to health and rehomed but haven't had any around here for many years....so that's good. We have one spayed, spoiled barn cat that gets deformed monthly with Revolution and Profender (for Tapes) in the Spring and fall and gets her yearly vaccinations. One barn cat is enough for us. She's awesome, too; she comes for walks with the dogs and I, and she listens better than my dogs, too lol.

Its really a sad deal.. sad for the animals and heartbreaking for the people who want to help and cant. She may have been a pet, but is so upset at being thrown out that she wont let you near- and thus the yowling too- that she is upset. However, if someone just dumped her out, you can bet they never bothered to have her fixed either. Poor kitty.

I've taken in many critters over the years too and just can't do it any more either. My place is full up, as I feel responsible for the ones I do have there. My feed bill is horrendous.

I think you made a right decision- does your humane society have any kind of trap and release program? They do here- they will trap feral cats, fix them and turn them loose again in their familiar area. Then they can no longer contribute to the population problem.

The problem with the spay/neuter release is there is always the chance the cat could starve or have to deal with winter weather and trying to find food or some kind of injury where they would have a slow agonizing death with nobody to help them. Sometimes having them put down truly is kinder than having them suffer.

Back