Advice needed for Color Class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne ABC

Reaction score
I know the AMHA rule book says Pinto or Appaloosa in Multi Color Class, but, my question is what would he be considered? With the minimal amount of white he has is that enough to put him in a Pinto class?

Desi13.jpg

Desi17.jpg

and while we are at it, what about roans with just the star? Someone told me that any white over 2" is considered to be pinto! Can that be correct?

Here is my filly

Reba3.jpg

keep in mind that if your registration papers say the horse is pinto you HAVE to show in multi color. mostly solid horses dont show well in multi color as the judges are looking for a 50/50 colored horse. i cant get your pics to show up but a roan without pinto would show solid color.

If your horse has just a star, then you would show solid. Like Kay said, you have to show with what's on the papers.

According to what you have them registered as in AMHA, they will both be shown in solid color. But many will question the colt as being solid. Even on your website he is listed as overo, but the online studbook has him as solid sorrel.

Well I have to pip in here with my two cents... - YES according to paperwork you SHOULD put them into multi if they are registered pinto or appy, but if they are registered just black, brown, chestnut...whatever, meaning a SOLID then they go into solid...

Roan by the way is considered a solid color so your roan filly would go in solid.

HERE is my story which is why I don't believe you HAVE to enter a class depending on what your horse is registered...

My filly is registered as an appaloosa - but she is only a characteristic, meaning she is one solid color right now with just appy characteristics. She looks like a solid silver dapple w/flaxen mane and tail, so she was entered in the SOLID.

My stallion I had in the solid because from a distance he looks pure white. I asked the steward and even he was a bit baffled lol. At first he said yes, he should be in solid because his coat is all white. Then he noticed the skin on his rump is white and the skin on the rest of his body is dark so at the last minute he put me in multi - but for the next show I will be keeping him in solid because it was REALLY goofy seeing a "solid white" horse in with a bunch of pinto's and loud appies!!!

I say with your minimal sorrel pinto your best bet would be to put him in SOLID. He will not compare with the loud 50/50 colored pinto's or loud spotted appies in the multi-color class (that is NOT a put down by the way, he is gorgeous!) And also put your filly in SOLID.

That is JMO =) Hope it helps!

I think I am confused on several issues.

First I allowed AMHA to select the color on my colt, because I was uncertain, and they chose to list him as "SORREL/LG STAR/ MIXED MANE & TAIL" even though the white on each side is very obvious, I think.

How much white does it take to be considered pinto? Don't misunderstand, I am not trying to make him be one or the other. I am simply trying to learn and understand this color business. I have also been told by someone, that may be mistaken, that he is OVERO, is that incorrect? I plan to have him tested so I will have a better idea of how to breed him if I don't geld him in the future.

What do the judges look for in the color classes? Are they judging only color (solid or multi)regardless of conformation? Or does conformation play an important part of their choice in color class? If they are judging only on color and we are in solid and he has white on him will they disapprove? Likewise if we are in Multi and he is mainly solid, ugh!!! I just don't know about all this.

Maybe I should just not show in a color class? What would you folks that know recommend? This is all new to me and I am just trying to learn. Thanks for your help.

mini im wondering how many shows you ahve been to?
default_smile.png
I have seen many times people try to enter a minimal pinto into solid colored classes and they are always told no. If the papers say pinto or appy you CANNOT enter solid classes. this is amhr but i have been told amha is the same. if you could enter a pinto in solid class then what would the point be of having two diff classes?? If your theory was true we would only have one color class right?? heres what the amhr rule book says

excerpt from multi color

open to pinto and appy horses ONLY. judged 100 percent on color

solid color

open to all other horses OTHER then pinto and appy. judged 100 percnet on color

so if your papers say appy you cannot enter in solid color. i have seen the steward correct people on this many times
default_smile.png
if your steward let you put an appy in solid class they made a major mistake. (if this was an amhr show)

horsin unfortunately your horse falls into the "not a good candidate for color class" i have a minimal pinto too that wont be shown in color. he is pinto but not colored enough to win in multi color so he will skip color classes.

Last edited:
Kaykay - i've been present at numerous shows, but only shown at one so far - this is my first year!

I am FULL of questions and one of them, weeks before the show, was exactly this question - where should I enter my horses that are appy, but LOOK solid?? I had e-mailed the secretary and asked a few other people handling the show, sent photo's or description, and I was told numerous times to "enter the horse as they appear" and that if the steward feels there was a mistake, they will let you know. So, I entered my registered appy filly that is one solid color, in the solid class - no problem. And I had my white appaloosa stallion entered in solid, he would have done much better in that class but at the last minute the steward made note that he could just barely see a difference in skin color and said to transfer him into multi - if my stallion would have had one more week to grow out his hair, his skin color wouldn't have been seen and the steward would have kept him in solid - regardless of registered pattern.

Obviously if the appy has noticable spots or blankets, it isn't solid - but if you have a characteristic that is solid bay, or solid sorrel, or solid black...why put a solid colored horse into multi?

I am just going by what I was told here - not opinion =)

well for sure some stewards arent fully aware of what the rule book says
default_smile.png
its pretty specific if you ask me. I have only been showing for 4.5 years so obviously i dont know alot but i have seen a lot of horses kicked out of the wrong color class. Its up to us as exhibitors to show our horses honestly and abide by the rules set forth. The last one i saw that the steward made the exhibitor change was in fact an appy. this steward said that if a horse is registered appy it CANNOT enter solid color. now after seeing what the rule book says i would have to say that is correct. So you can certainly keep entering your appy horse in solid class but you run the risk of being made to change at the last minute (like last time) or you could get protested if you win. To me the high road is always the better road to take
default_smile.png

i cant find my amha rule book so have no idea what it says

Hi, I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but these are the color requirements from the Pinto Horse Association of America. I found the diagram to be quite helpful.

Color Requirements

All Pintos must meet the minimum color requirement to be eligible for regular registry. For white spots to be counted, it must have underlying pink skin and must be located in the qualifying zone as illustrated by the diagram below. This white can be cumulative (spots may be added together as long as they are all in the qualifying zone). If leg white starts below the qualifying line, but extends to or above it, then all connected white below the line will count.

Horses must have at least 4 square inches of cumulative white in the qualifying zone.

Ponies must have at least 3 square inches of cumulative white in the qualifying zone.

Miniatures must have at least 2 square inches of cumulative white in the qualifying zone.

regcolorex.gif

default_smile.png

Yes, that is good information. Guess that explains where the 2" of white idea came from that someone else had told me they thought was the rule. It appears that each registry may have there own rules on what qualifies where, huh?
default_unsure.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Amha color class means 20% conformation 80% color... for your horse l wouldn't go in either class for color not enough to place well in multi and for solid you might be asked to leave. l think you have a tween horse as far as showing in color goes.

For your pinto you would have to show him in multi-color, and no I wouldn't spend my money on putting him in it. Your other one would be ok for solid color imo. It's just a star, like any other facial markings, like a blaze. Now if your horse had a bald face I would consider that pinto.

It's amazing how judges can't tell the difference between a pinto and a solid colored horse. One time I saw a horse that had amazing black, BUT had high white legs, and little bit of pinto markings on the inside of its leg. That horse should not have been in solid color. And the judges I guess could not tell it was a pinto because one placed it first! Other people weren't too happy about that.

Just so you know.

At Nationals last year, a horse placed in the top 3 of Solid Color,,,,,,,,and had a bald face.

Our friends have a white pinto colt who only has a TINY bit of color on one flank and just his ears. From a distance he looks white. They showed him in the solid color class because of that and they were told he was NOT a candidate for that class and would not show well in color either by the judges. Yes, they are looking for somewhat of a 50/50 pattern for pintos in a color class.

[SIZE=12pt]A bald face and high whites is genetically a pinto however without body spots that horse would show in solid color very well with the chrome attracting the eye.... I have been showing amha and amhr since 1987..... more recently only AMHR. Kay is right.... what is says on the papers is where it goes. I would not show those appy or pintos in either class..... they dont have enough of what the judges will be looking for to be considered. I wouldnt wast money there either but as a newbie back in the 80s, I went in every class at a show....or as many as I thought I could.... now I dont waste my money on classes like color. I did show color at nationals with a mare now owned by the Powells and placed 9th out of about 35 and she is pretty much 50 50 color. I showed a black stallion with 4 even white feet in solid and was beat by the black horse ahead of me with only 3 white feet but a trainer at the end of the lead. Judges like chrome so bald faces and white on the legs adds to the solid horses chances.[/SIZE]

Lyn

ps Minihoofbeats, while we appreciate your enthusiasm ,arguing with people that have been showing for years isnt going to make you points with the horse comunity in general.... sort of goes along with that sportsmanship issue in your previous thread. ....just had to say it because Ive been reading the posts sitting on my hands.

Latest posts

Back