Advice needed ASAP!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candycar

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I hope you all can help! I need to know what and how you would go about cleaning a minis front teeth and gums. My girls have made them raw and bleeding and they are starting to smell. I suspect gingivitis may have set in.

It was my fault, hard lesson learned. I use small hole hay nets in the winter so I can free feed hay, and the new hay I got is so fine and soft it balls up in them instead of poking out the holes. The hay is also very seedy. It seems in an effort to get the hay they scraped their gums raw. I didn't notice it untill Lexy wouldn't take a treat from me, totally not like her! I looked and saw what happened and tried to clean the gums as best I could with warm salt water. Jelly Bean isn't as bad but her breath really smells. I will call the vet this morning, but hold little hope of help as it's now the weekend (of course, things always happen when the vet isn't available!)

They are still eating fine, and I've been soaking Lexys pellets.

Do you think Listerine and a soft brush would help? I don't want to hurt them anymore than necessary. I don't have any antibiotics on hand, just some banamine. Please Help! Thanks

One of my mares had gingivitis last year and the vet had me flush her gums with a syringe filled with warm salt water, but you have to be careful they don't choke. The year before I had a filly get kicked in the mouth and it pushed one of her teeth in. Food kept getting caught there and she had me go buy one of those dog tooth brushes that you put on your finger and using salt water to get it clean. The tooth ended up having to be pulled as the gum wouldn't heal, but it was a baby tooth. If I were you, I would continue to flush with salt water until the vet can come out, but would have her check incase you need to give antibiotics or something else going on. Good luck!

Depending on what your vet says, I've had very good luck flushing with salt water twice a day and also using a dilute mouthwash once a day. I use a large syringe 35 - 60 cc. Keep the horses' head in a natural position so the flush will run back out. The mouth is very healing and generally will heal just fine.

My mare has this problem with her gums around the front teeth (not molars) because of foxtail (weed) in the hay. My vet recommends rinsing/flushing with chlorhexidine (Nolvasan brand name) diluted in water so it's very light blue. my mare hates it so I add a little bit of unsweetened Kool Aid cherry flavor to it and now she doesn't fight me as badly about it. I use a squirt bottle so it's easy to aim/squirt while I stand beside her, because I need a good hold on her to get the job done, and a syringe was too akward.

I did also put a little Oral gel for teething babies on her gums when she was really bothered by them (she would toss her head), and that helps a lot too. I liked using it better than always giving her Banamine.

Good luck!

Thanks for the helpful replies!
default_saludando.gif
I was quite panicked. I did get ahold of the vet and he said to flush with saltwater and gave a perscription for antibiotics. I sure hope they heal quick!
default_wacko.png
No more haynets with this new hay LOL!

Latest posts

Back