Acid Reflux

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
Does anyone here suffer from Acid Reflux? I have had it for about 3-4 years now, but have always been able to keep it in check (mostly) by taking Prilosec (the generic brand). Last night was the worst attack I've had in a long time and I literally could not sleep for fear of reflux....UGH!

Deb says I need to think about going to get a GI test done...but I'm so stubborn...and if I can treat it without a Dr.'s help, I will....lol

How do you treat yours and if you went to Dr, what did they do for you to treat it?

I would go to the doctor, Linda. Chronic acid reflux can lead to esophageal cancer...

My husband has it pretty bad, he uses zantac and does like ML said, sleeps in a more propped up position when it's bad. Also he will use maalox for a quick temp relief.

We have also raised the top of our bed about an inch more than the bottom (shimms under the headboard)...It doesn't seem like much but he says it helps him (I don't even notice).

I've had it occassionaly and it is terrible. I feel for all who suffer from it. My husband has taken Prilosec for several years. One thing he learned was that taking Advil over a long period every day can trigger the reflux, or worsen it. He has gotten off Advil and now can do Priolec every other day.

I do not think a doctor can do much, besides suggest prilosec.

Sometimes he still has an attack, but it is usually worry/stress. Not much we can do about that in real life!

I have had acid reflux for many years.

Yes went to the doctor and had scope down my throat

Dr. recommended

Pantoprazole tablets 40 mg

Will need these the rest of my life, she told me.

Need prescription, I take one a day...

also loosing weight can help & eating crackers before bed

Would advise getting it checked out...

this is the pill I take daily usually in the morning.

Pantoprazole tablets 40 mg

What are pantoprazole tablets?

PANTOPRAZOLE (PROTONIX®) prevents the production of acid in the stomach. It reduces symptoms and prevents injury to the esophagus or stomach in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or ulcers. Pantoprazole is also useful in conditions that produce too much stomach acid such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.

No more acid reflux. Can eat anything and sleep without problems

Last edited by a moderator:
I have suffered with AR for many years. Aciphex keeps it under control and I don't even have to take it every day now. There are some things which help though.

Don't eat a big meal after 6pm.

No coffee, tea, orange juice or acid drinks in the evening.

Sleep with head raised on a thick pillow.

Don't sleep on your side.

I learned that all acid medications - even just the chewy kinds, do tend to deplete the calcium in the body. Difficult for those of us who also suffer from osteoporosis. This is one of the reasons, I try not to take Aciphex every day, unless I feel absolutely necessary.

Lizzie

Yes what matt73 said and just lost a friend last year from that!!!!!!!!!!!! Go get it checked! Then you can deal with what meds or what ever you need to do after that.

Ditto what everyone else has said. I have it and take whatever current rx pays for. I also have a hietal (mispelled no doubt) hernia and it makes it worse. Also have osteopenia. I am not a good patient. I eat too late and usually have a glass of merlot while cooking and one with my meal. I am currently trying to research what will take the place of pantoprozole or aciphex or any of the other rx in a natural way. If I skip the pill I suffer big time. I don't like or trust pharmaceuticals. I think I read drinking a glass of water with sea salt helps and I used to grow mint because it helps with digestion. Would be interested in others input for natural remedies. Just got my rx refilled but I am definitely interested in natural cures!

If the prilocsec isn't helping, I'd go to the doctor - like Matt posted.

I've had AR for a couple of years now......attributed to aging/menopause/weight gain....etc.... The prilosec has helped amazingly so far.

But there are other things I've learned that also help.......Stay away from acidic drinks - ie, coffee/tea. Eat small amounts of pork/bacon - especially

bacon for some reason.

And for natural/holistic info: Fresh Ginger is beneficial. It settles stomach acid and is good for ones whole digestive tract.

Yes ginger is excellent for acid and for your digestion, BUT, it is not going to tell you what kind of a problem you may have going on in there, nor is it going to fix any damage already caused. I tell you, death in that matter from getting cancer from the damage is horrible and our friend suffered terribly.

Latest posts

Back