4H Mini Horse Games/Activities

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyMoonMinis

Reaction score
Tonight was our first weekly horse clinic. I think it went pretty well. We started on basics like leading and backing and finding out which kids had the bossy disrespectful horses etc. We did some follow the leader and some other exercises I came up with. But then I ran out of things and we still had 20 mins to go! So i need some fun activities that we can do at the end our lessons to break up the monotony and boredom of practicing skills. We really wont start getting into obstacle and jumping for another month (i want them to have better control over thier horses before we start that)

Any ideas? How could I convert games like red rover, simon says or green light red light?

How about something like a command class? Give simple commands that will help them with their horses anyway, like walk, halt, trot, stop, back, and some fun ones like put one hand on top of your head (if you feel it is safe), and then eliminate the ones that don't follow the command.

at the end maybe have the kids switch horses and/or work with each other on specific problems they're having.

Simon says is really easy to do riding or inhand just use the appriate terms.

Also a great thing is simple showmanship patterns 2-3 cones and you've got a course. I used to make the kids come up with their own then everyone do it and critique each other.

How about a variation of Egg in a Spoon?

For egg in the spoon you could replace the egg with a small ball (either lightweight plastic or a golf ball).

Have the kids hold a spoon by its tail in one hand with the ball in the bowl

and the horse's lead in the other then do a walk, trot, stop, turn around, etc.

This can help teach not only control of ones own body but to try to gently correct and having the desire of a minding equine companion. Anything too jerky will dislodge your "egg"

Last ones with the ball still in the spoon win something.. even if its little cheesy plastic medallions or plastic loving cups from a party store.

Musical buckets, barrels in hand, obstacle course, apple race (run down, pick up apple, horse has to take a bite, run back), relay race, question race (break into teams, answering a question right means you and horse get to move forward to next cone. object to get all horses in your team across the finish line)

Latest posts

Back