2009 AMHR Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
default_smile.png

I was hoping a few of you could help me out with a few questions I have about Nationals. I have wanted to go for so many years; this is my last as a youth and my family isn't "Horsey" so I have to find a ride for my mare seeing as we don't have a trailer or truck for that matter. I really really want her to come but that's going to be hard.
default_sad.png
Either way I really want to make it; it is honestly my dream and I want it so bad;
default_smile.png
I have to pay for it all and in the meantime still be paying the show fees and bills for my 3 horses. It's going to be tight but i really want it and I don't know where to start so hoping some of you could help me out
default_smile.png

1. What is the most affordable way to accomdate yourself at nationals ? Are stalls an option if so how do you go about that and how is it? If not is there a hotel you stayed in that is affordable and was enjoyable?

2. Is there anyway I can see what is going to be each day so I could book a flight exc
default_smile.png

3. Any advice or anything you could tell me when planning to go to nationals and just anything to bring or plan for when attending?

I always sleep in my tack stall to be near my horses and it is cheaper, and to be honest I don't do a lot of sleeping anyway. Between late night classes and late night runs to Sonic Burger/Denny's, socializing and zooming around the barns on my scooter I can't be bothered to pay for a room. There are reasonable showers and even laundry facilities right there. We have a fridge, and a coleman stove for cooking. Many take BBQ's and of course coffee maker is a MUST!! An awning over the top of your tack stall makes it nicer for sleeping since the barn lights are always on.

The class schedule will be online on the AMHR website so you will be able to see what is up for each day to book a flight for sure.

Things to bring-lots of money for shopping!! something warm to wear in the arena when watching so you don't freeze to death, money for shopping, money for horse shopping, scooter so you don't have to walk everywhere, cellphone to text friends when you lose them.

Pammy

Hi Everyone
default_smile.png
1. What is the most affordable way to accomdate yourself at nationals ? Are stalls an option if so how do you go about that and how is it? If not is there a hotel you stayed in that is affordable and was enjoyable?

2. Is there anyway I can see what is going to be each day so I could book a flight exc
default_smile.png

3. Any advice or anything you could tell me when planning to go to nationals and just anything to bring or plan for when attending?
1. Yes, you can stay in the tack stall. You have to pay for the additional stall. It will be noisy and your best bet would be to bring tarps or curtains (even old sheets) for the four walls (just need to cover the 3'-4' of bars on the stall) and a 10' x 10' (or bigger) tarp for over the top. It's not just for the lights they leave on until late but to keep out/off the bird doo that falls from above. Of course, with all the light blocked out you'll then want some sort of light/lamp etc. A fan is nice also in case it's hot but be prepared for a cool night also. The temps can really vary at that time of year.

I'm not big on hotels because of the driving and the odd hours for the show etc. I have rented a camper. If that is a consideration the best place is Scott's RV.

2. They will have the list of classes on the website as soon as it's ready. I don't know just when that will be. Maybe someone else can help there. The youth classes are usually clumped together around the first weekend so they don't have to miss too much school.

3. You'll probably spend more money than you think. The food at the concession stands is expensive and there are so many things that you'll want to by from the vendors just because you can "see" them and the prices are sometimes quite good.

Bring comfortable shoes. Unless you have some sort of trouble walking, I'm assuming with your young age that you don't, then you don't need the scooter. Us "older" people need the electric scooters to get around from building to building so we don't run out of "steam" before the day ends which can be 12-2-or 3 in the morning.

If your horse is clipped and because you're coming from Canada he'll start to grow that winter coat, you may want a set of clippers for touch ups. The thing is you might be able to share with whoever you come with. Also you'll want at least a light blanket for your horse in case the weather is cool of come prepared to buy one.

We've been soaked with rain, cold from high winds and cool temps, and sweating from the heat. Welcome to Tulsa in Sept.! I'm sure that others can list more but there's a start.

I stayed in my "bedroom" stall, too. Brought an air mattress to sleep on and several blankets. We put up a canopy and curtains for privacy. $60 for ten days is MUCH cheaper than $100+ a night!

Showers are pretty nice and clean. It really isn't that noisy at night.

Lucy

Well you and i talked about this already, but when i (or we
default_wink.png
) go back in 2009 im just going to buy two extra stalls and take the divider out, cover them and put an AC inside...will save many hundreds of $. Food is very expensive at the stand, however they have these great lemon slush's that i am just crazy about
default_smile.png

The pine shavings they offered at nationals last year just sucked, to be honest. I remember thinking...that for that price?? But then agian you probably wont have room to haul all the bags of bedding you will need and its only a couple of dollars...but i was not happy how the bedding really.

Oh and if you get tired enough you will sleep with the noise LOL...i could slept through the noise after about 4 days..

Does anyone have any pictures of their "bedroom" stall from nationals? Did you attach your room tart with bungee cords, zip ties, or what? How/where are you attaching the Air conditioners, or are they the free standing units. Since everyone is saying brings lamps and has A/C or fans, I assume there is An outlet for each stall? How many things can you plug in, and do they get upset if you have a power strip? Are the stalls 10x10? If you remove the divider do they get upset (I've been to shows where they aren't real happy when you do this) Do you have to store the divider, or are they willing to come get it?

I know, lots of questions. But we're hoping to go to nationals some day, and I'll have to start saving soon even if its 2010 when we go.

Does anyone have any pictures of their "bedroom" stall from nationals? Did you attach your room tart with bungee cords, zip ties, or what? How/where are you attaching the Air conditioners, or are they the free standing units. Since everyone is saying brings lamps and has A/C or fans, I assume there is An outlet for each stall? How many things can you plug in, and do they get upset if you have a power strip? Are the stalls 10x10? If you remove the divider do they get upset (I've been to shows where they aren't real happy when you do this) Do you have to store the divider, or are they willing to come get it?
I know, lots of questions. But we're hoping to go to nationals some day, and I'll have to start saving soon even if its 2010 when we go.
I believe all the stalls are 10 x 10 as my 12' curtains have always been too wide. You're best bet is to get a 10 x 10 tarp and attach it using the grommets to the top edges of the stall (depending on your taste - zip ties, twine, whatever works). However, a bigger one can be folded back and the fold roped across the top. Then if you end up in an end stall and it rains you have that extra to fold down for protection.

I think it's one outlet for 2 stalls (back to back). I've seen power strips used. I guess if we start blowing circuits they might get some rules on it. Can't answer on the divider question. Never had to deal with it but they are very easy to work with at Nationals not like some other places. The AC's I've seen were set on tables.

You can remove and arrange the stalls any way you want. The staff in Tulsa are very nice and helpful. I am assuming that you will be budget minded??? If so, then sleeping in a stall is the way to go. You might want to bring a small fridge, micro, etc.... As stated, be prepared for all sorts of temps. Nationals islike no other show. There is so much going on, it is hard to take it all in. Since you are saving your pennies to go, just to let you know, the show bill usually is due in August.

We took the stall dividers out last year. Then they came around the next day and hauled them off. They are cool with taking the stalls apart. The group that I traveled with went together to pay for 4 extra stalls, took the middle dividers out and made a kitchen/dining/living area out of it. They had it going on!!! Made our first Nationals a really GREAT experience. The whole bunch of us went together and actually rented furniture. We had a couch, loveseat, chair/ottoman, dining table and chairs and a refrigerator. Each family took a day to cook for everybody in the group. We only ate out one day while we were out there. And we were there for the WHOLE thing! It worked out super.

We took the stall dividers out last year. Then they came around the next day and hauled them off. They are cool with taking the stalls apart. The group that I traveled with went together to pay for 4 extra stalls, took the middle dividers out and made a kitchen/dining/living area out of it. They had it going on!!! Made our first Nationals a really GREAT experience. The whole bunch of us went together and actually rented furniture. We had a couch, loveseat, chair/ottoman, dining table and chairs and a refrigerator. Each family took a day to cook for everybody in the group. We only ate out one day while we were out there. And we were there for the WHOLE thing! It worked out super.
Who did you rent the furniture from? Was it a reasonable cost?

I believe it was a Rent A Center that did it. One of the people that we traveled with did the actual renting. I can find out tomorrow who she got the furniture from. It cost each of the families $60.00 for the stalls and the furniture. I think there were 9 or 10 families that went in on it. It was well worth the money to have a place to go sit down and relax. We kept leftovers in the fridge to have when you finished showing in those late night classes!

Just a word of warning about renting big $ items. I stayed over an extra night after the whole show was over (several others did too for various reasons). The day I was taking to rest before the trip home was Sunday and as I was exercising the horses in the round pen I noticed a guy moving a big screen TV. Turns out he wasn't "picking it up". He was stealing it. I also heard someone had a couch or love seat stolen. You may want to check to see what kind of insurance coverage you can get or stay until the stuff is picked up.

Devon- does anyone in your area drive down or can you catch a ride with who ever is hauling your horse? Maybe an option that would cost less than you flying. Also if you only wanted to stay for the youth and they were going to be there longer, maybe you could fly home?

We have gone a couple of different ways. 1 year we stayed in a hotel, but that year we did not show. It cost about the same as it would have to drive down with truck and trailer. The other 2 years we stayed in our trailer. We don't have living quarters, but I don't really feel you need them. 4 of us did this for up to 10 days. This includes my 2 children, the first year my daughter was only 4 months old. This year they were 2 and 7. We have lanterns for light and a mattress in the goose neck. We also park by one of the barns, not the camp grounds because we don't need hook ups and it is so far away. The bathrooms are clean and showers and decent. This year we bought a mini fridge and took with. Boy did that save a ton of money! We ran to the store and bought fruit and lunch meat, drinks, all sorts of good stuff. We also brought our microwave. This was great for a quick microwave meal, hot dogs, and popcorn. We only paid to eat 3 different meals the whole time we were there. If you can't bring this stuff with, maybe you could have someone rent them for you? Staying in the stall as others mentioned is also a cheap place for the time. Between showing, watching, shopping, and looking thru the barns you really don't spend much time in sleep facilities and when you do, trust me you will be so tired you won't have trouble sleeping.

I hope you can work it out to attend. It really is a great experience. If you really want to go, but absolutely can't bring your horse I would still suggest trying to come and watch. It is a great time and worth it.

We stayed in the stalls last year. We have two easy up tents that are 10 by 10. They were actually just a bit too big for the stall. we then used zip strips to put up tarps. Our tarps were big and covered the walls and some of the floor. We then put a carpet on the part of the floor not covered. We had an air matress, a couple of tv tray and some electric lights and fans. In the Kitchen area, we had a small fridge and a microwave. We kept all food in plastic tubs to keep out dirt and possible rodents or bugs. We also carried a small bbq grill. (there were 2 of us--hubby and me) We did our shopping at the grocery store and wal mart and only ate out one night--toco bell the night we got there cause we were too tired to cook. We usually have things like cereal (in ziplock bags) granola bars and such for breakfast and snacking. I always have a box of ziplock bags to store left overs, chips and snacks(so they won't stay open and get stale) and to carry cereal, chips and such with me to the arena to snack on rather that be tempted by the food stands. A tote bag comes in very handy also. Makes carrying snacks, drinks, camera, notebook or showbook ect much easier.

We don't have any way to get around the show except to walk, but for us, that was not too bad. we weren't too far (thank goodness) from the action. There is noise most of the night. My biggest problem was the loud speakers calling classes and horses to the ring. I got pretty good and taking tylenol pm and sleeping through it though. Needed the tylenol for my aching body after being on the hard floor all day--not getting any younger.

We found shavings at a feed store north of the arena. They seemed to be nicer and cheaper than the ones at the arena. A lot of people there know where it is, so we just asked around.

Lastly, get chains and locks for your living quarters and don't leave valuable stuff in plain sight if you leave it in there at all. Don't leave valuables--purses, cameras ect--in plain sight in your cars or trucks either. Theives can get into most locked vehicles--sometimes faster than we can unlock them ourselves. I am a real pain about locking our stalls even when I will only be away for 10 minutes. I know someone can still get in, but they would be a little obvious climbing the walls or taking them apart to get in.

It is really a matter of a little thought and preperation and then when you get there--have fun--don't sweat the small stuff.

Maybe we will get to meet you there.
default_aktion033.gif

Angie

Just talk to the Ky. group. They have it going on! AND they have some great cooks in that group too. We have always been stalled by them, and of course, since we are originally from Ky. it is like old home week to us. We get to see all the people we only e-mail and talk to on the phone the rest of the year.

I think your best bet, in order to save on expense, would be to find someone in you area that is going, and hopefully hitch a ride for your mare. If they are staying at the barn and using a fridge, microwave, and etc., maybe they would let you share with them.

I think if you offered to help drive (take care of the horses on the trip), you would be able to get a cheaper ride for your mare. Also, offering stall cleaning/grooming/washing/exercising services at nationals could help pay for extras such as food and shopping. So many people are busy that some just don't have time to pick their stalls out until late at night or to exercise a horse that has been stalled for the day since it doesn't show. I've never been to nationals, but I know going as a horse keeper would help. You can buy a cot for pretty cheap (or air mattress) and haul it along with you. A nice sleeping bag for cold nights.

Good luck! I've never been to nationals, but would love to go watch one day (a bit hard to manage baby sitter for a 2 year old while I go).
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back