Pregnant mare - showing heat???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mulligans Run

Reaction score
My mare, Brandi, was ultrasounded and found to be over 100 days in foal. Now that we've brought her home she's showing to our stallion...winking and wetting. I'm concerned that she slipped her foal. But I've had several people tell me that it could be a hormonal thing and she is still pregnant.

Has anyone else had this happen??? I'm very concerned because we have a mare that's a hussy, but came up not pregnant on the pregna-mare tests. We've had her under lights for months and she's not showing heat, she'll wink and squirt for the stallion, but not stand. Our vet wants to put her on regumate and then lutilize (spelling) her to bring on a strong follicle. My concern is that she may actually be pregnant, but our vet says it's not possible for a pregnant mare to wink AND wet.

HELP - any advice here would be greatly appreciated. I think we just need to pull blood and have them both tested.....what are your thoughts???
default_wacko.png
:

both my bred mares last year winked and peed for the stallion the very week they foaled. really threw me for a loop because I thought it was rare. I dont think its so rare anymore!

Your vet must not know mini mares, lol. I have had minis that show heat for the 1st 6 mths of pregnancy amd others that show at the end of pregnancy some will let the stallion breed them too. I am always 2nd guessing myself as to whether they really are pregnant or not .

I too have had pregnant mares show to the stallions. One of my mares goes to the fence to the see the stud every three weeks just like clockwork, but she won't stand to let him breed her once she is in foal. Last year I was convinced that one of my old faithful broodmares had slipped her foal, she was definately in heat, but she would not let the stallion cover her, she delivered a beautiful baby girl the next spring
default_smile.png

I agree with KayKay but they sure keep ya guessing!

One of my mares was showing an extreme heat with pee

shooting! out of her when she saw another mare getting bred!

She was only recently bred herself but her behaviour was so

aggressive I knew right then & there that she had caught.

I had two last year, they weren't due till May and I wasn't sure if they were bred, I put them in with the stallion the first of April, and they were showing heat signs, winking, squatting, peeing. The whole nine yards, but my stallion did not show any interest in breeding them.

Well the end of April I took them out and put them by themselves in case they were bred, and yes they were, I had two healthy foals born the middle of May.

So now I don't rely on them showing heat to prove they aren't bred.

One of the mares I recently got, that is suppose to be bred, was in a pen near the stallions, and she started in with heat signs, I started to get depressed that she wasn't bred, but I remembered my other mares from last year, so I haven't given up hope that she is bred.

A friend of mine sold a bred mare to another breeder and the breeder called in August to say that the mare must not have caught as her stallion just bred her. Funny thing, in January the mare foaled a full term foal - obviously from the original breedings. Miniature mares are not like their big cousins!!!!

The mare we have who foaled on Feb 25 was bred through one of the stallions gates about 17 hours before she had her stud colt. She showed all signs of being ready to foal out and had the nerve to push her butt against the gate and let him do it and he did. The nasty thing about her was she went back a second time a short while later but the stallion wasn't interested then. That was a first for us.

Not just Mini Mares. either!!

No disrespect to Vets BUT unless they are reproductive experts they often do not know anymore, possibly less, than an experienced breeder, except when it comes to problems, that is. My Vet always bows to me experience as a "midwife" BUT if I have a problem he is the first one I call- that is his field, not the every day ins and outs.

So- to answer the question, Yes, of course mares can come in full heat when pregnant- they have two horns to the uterus and are only (usually) pregnant in one. Therefore it is quite possible, but not usual, for the other ovary to throw up a viable follicle and for the mare to come in heat, be bred and, theoretically, to get in foal.

Again
default_smile.png

There is also the fact that a lot of pregnant mares just mistake the hormone imbalance for heat, and act accordingly- they are confused, that is all.

Some mares also squat and pee to submit to the "superior being"

Some mares, and I have had a number do this, squat and pee out of temper- it is , after all, HIS FAULT!!!!

These are the ones that show external signs of heat but will not allow the stallion to actually do anything- I have had many maidens do this through three or four season cycles.

If you have a good nose both you and an experienced stallion will know the difference in the smell of the urine.

My old stallions father would not take any notice of these mares.

Rabbit is less fussy- "if it stands still longer than two seconds jump on" appears to be his motto
default_smile.png

Rabbit is less fussy- "if it stands still longer than two seconds jump on" appears to be his motto
default_smile.png

Rabbit you are to funny! :lol: My stallion is like that too! If she stands still longer than to seconds he will do the "deed" even if she walks away! :bgrin He just "hangs on to her and walks on his toes" lol :lol: !

To answer the question though. Yes , I have had two mares here wink and squat and even pee, but would not allow the stallion to breed them. My stallion would have done if I would have let him though because he is very persistant.

If I were you I would just wait for a little while and see what happens. Maybe the vet could ultrasound again and blood test too just to be sure.

Good Luck

Jeri

I have a mare that flirts too, and she is due mid April. She hadn't been in heat for over 6 months then in November she started peeing, flirting, etc, but I haven't put her in w/ any stallions since she may still be bred. I think she's just one of those mares that likes male attention.

We have pregnant mares that will show to a stallion "anytime" - most will show, but will not allow the stallion to mount - although we have a couple of mares that will accept a stallion - so unfortunately your vet is incorrect in his theory. Better ultrasound her if you want to know for sure if she is bred.

Mares will sometimes show to a "new" stallion and it's a submissive show....as Rabbit has also said. In fact, having sold a bred maiden mare who showed to the stallion at the new farm (several years ago) the buyer called excitedly. My resolve was, call the vet and have her checked -- if she's NOT in foal, I'll rebreed and pay the vet bill. She was in foal and delivered on time a few months later.

Some stallions will mount a post if it smells!! I've had a few who won't even mount a mre in heat UNTIL she is ready to drop the egg -- different odors, THEY can tell.

Yeah, mares like to have a good time, too :lol: So, you either have her re-checked by the vet or "wait" until a foal arrives.
default_wacko.png
:

I agree with the others on this one.

I alos would NOT lutalyse your mare unless I knew for certain without a doubt that she was open as it will cause a pregnant mare to abort!

Ditto to Rabbit and Ditto to Becky!

BTW, Jane -- BAD PUN......although true........our vet also doesn't know a breeder's "daily ins and outs" either. :bgrin

MA

I've found it quite common for mini mares who are pregnant show heat as some times during their pregnancies.

Joyce

Hi, Heather!

Forgive me if I'm repeating your other advice but I didn't have time to read all the way through. Heading to Arkansas tomorrow but had to check out LB first!
default_smile.png

Yes, she absolutely can be PG and show a strong heat. The majority of my mares won't let the stallion mount them though. If I do have one that I'm pretty sure is bred then shows heat I take her to my senior stallion Trios Manilla. He KNOWS if they are bred and doesn't give them the time of day. I've seen a few actually back him into a corner showing to him and he'll find a blade of grass in that corner rather than waste his time with her. LOL

Like most everything it depends on the mare then what time during her pregnancy it's going on. Lots of them will show early on and late. Someone on here had a mare do it AND the stud breed her just a day or two before she foaled!

Wow - this is great news guys! I'm so glad to hear it and I really feel it's worth the money to have the one mare tested before we lutilize. It's just not worth her losing a foal.

And my other mare that's confirmed in foal....now I have hope!!! She's bred to my Rowdy son and I'm sooooo looking forward to that foal too. Woo Hoo!!!!

Thanks a bunch guys! I'm going to print this thread out and pass it along to my vet.

Latest posts

Back