Another Lap Quilt.....pieced but not quilted yet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
Since this winter has been so dismal....overcast, wet and just plain dreary, I've been just a quilting up a storm. I finished piecing my latest yesterday. It is a sampler quilt. Now, those who know me know that I LOVE chickens so I even have one block that looks like a chicken (I just had to do it). I'll have to piece the backing and baste it together with the batting probably later this week and then start the actual quilting (by hand, naturally).

P1010001.JPGP1010003.JPGP1010005.JPGP1010006.JPGP1010007.JPGP1010008.JPG

Each block is 6 inches square. I don't know what I was thinking. Some of the blocks have like 40 pieces and when the blocks are that small, the pieces are really, really tiny. All in all I am happy with the finished product and can't wait to start the actual quilting.

Beautiful! I LOVE that chicken one! I love chickens--just have to mention that, ;)

Very cool.

I did this block in 3" for a quilt, what was I thinking:

prairie Queen - 9 inch block.jpg

I did 16 of the little 3" blocks, eight 6" blocks, one 12" block and 20 some 9" blocks for the quilt, but those 3" were the worst.

I can't imagine making more than just a few three inch blocks. Some of my six inchers took like 40 pieces so you can imagine how small the pieces were. If it weren't for the seam allowance, I wouldn't have been able to hold them in my hands!

This is the first time I've done a sampler quilt and the first time I've done a bunch of these patterns. I like some of them very much and will probably do a larger quilt with them in the future.

I think this may be my last quilt of the season. I think four lap quilts is like supersonic speed for me. I'm pleased with what I have done this winter but I think it's time to move on to something else (after I quilt this one, of course), like cooking, cleaning, stuff like that. LOL

Thanks for sharing! I love peeking at what others are working on.

Your chicken block is adorable as are all the blocks and your quilt top is very colorful. Simply wonderful!

Chandab, your patience with 3" blocks is amazing! Thank you for the peek, hope you share your work when your quilt is finished.

Lois, who is quilting at a snails pace....

Chandab, your patience with 3" blocks is amazing! Thank you for the peek, hope you share your work when your quilt is finished.

Lois, who is quilting at a snails pace....
It is finished, and happily residing in Florida now, but I do have a finished pic I can share.

Prairie Queen - finished - Sept 3, 2012 for web.jpg

This pic doesn't do the colors justice, but you can see the finished quilt. [i finished it during my last marestare.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my gosh, that quilt is lovely. I'm always so intimidated by other quilters. It could always find a home here, you know.

Chandab, I love the colors and the pattern! Very pretty!

Lois

Chandab, I love the colors and the pattern! Very pretty!

Lois
Thank you.

Oh my gosh, that quilt is lovely. I'm always so intimidated by other quilters. It could always find a home here, you know.
Thank you. Don't be intimidated by other quilters, just do what you like and enjoy, that's what I do, and my quilts are far from show quality, but they are what I like, so I enjoy the process, and that's what matters.

Those are absolutely incredible!!! You are both very, very talented!!!! Chandab - I love the colors in your quilt!

Liz N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love your sampler! How many fabrics did you use? I've been looking at fabrics online and just received the latest Keepsake Quilting catalog. I have also been looking for chicken material for you but no luck so far. Keep up the quilting, yours are beautiful. Can't wait to see your quilting when it's done.

I love that you did all the squares different... and then threw a chicken in for good measure. Beautiful work for sure!

O, wow. On all of them!!

It's been almost 20 years since I last did some very basic quilting. I'd like to either find or develop a pattern for doing a wall hanging that could have a clear vinyl sheet sewn in to put either a 5x7 or 8 x 10 picture in it. Then that could be attached to say - stall curtains? Doesn't have to be huge - just needs a "nice" pattern to go around the "photo pocket". OR once the pattern is developed or do a seperate one with ribbons (show ribbons).

My plan was to do a few of these or something like it to use for donations at some of the different events - that's why I don't want to do an actual photo quilt (on top of which my printer has never been able to handle the cotton material used for photo print squares even tho it was purchased solely for that purpose).

Anyone able to help with this idea? Have a couple of shows this year that I'd like to do material themed photo pockets (Daffodil Dandy and Spooktacular)...

I just LOVE all the quilts you all make!!! I've wanted to make a quilt my whole life, like the one my greatgrandma made. A double wedding ring quilt all hand done. Not sure if I'll ever do it though! I've never done a quilt LOL

WOW! How did I miss this thread! LOL! I could not imagine doing a 6" block and definately not a 3" inch one!!! Great job!!!! I love that chicken block!!! I'd love to make a whole blanket just using that block!! LOL!!!

I thought about making a wall hanging using just the chicken block, and I may do that....next season. I've cranked out four lap quilts this winter, start to finish, and now I am in the planning stages of one for my only grandbaby. (She's not quite a baby anymore, she's seven now but there is no sense rushing these things!!) She likes pink....duh. She does not take after me as she is a very girly girl. My thought is to make her a very traditional pattern - the fruit basket. And I'll make the base of the basket from a dark pink print, the handle from a lighter pink print, back the block in white and put the entire thing on point with pastel pink set in squares. The blocks will be 8 inches. I figure if I use a really traditional pattern, even though it's pink, she won't "outgrow" it as she matures. I'll pick some heavy quilting pattern for the set in squares, possibly something with feathers. I haven't really decided. Since those squares will be solid pastel pink, the quilting will really show up so I want something that is heavily quilted. I'll do a double border, one a very dark solid pink (or maybe the dark print from the base of the basket) and one the pastel pink of the set in squares.

At first I thought maybe I'd do all the pieced squares in different pinks but then I decided I'd do them all the same. Sometimes the simpler a quilt is, the more striking it is.

I've got all my measurements and requirements and my shopping list is all ready. Next week my daughter and her boyfriend are coming for a visit (first time to meet him) and when they leave I'll head to the big city to buy fabric.

I agonized and agonized over what pattern to choose. As you can see from my sampler, I had a ton to choose from. I actually have a book with 100 quilt blocks so the choice was very hard. But I wanted something very traditional. There were so many to choose from, it was a very difficult choice. Ultimately, I just picked the fruit basket because it is a very old pattern, fairly easy to piece, and looks wonderful. And really, she'll be happy with whatever I do, so it realy doesn't matter.

dixie_belle, your work is absolutely stunning. I am always in awe of hand quilting. Your granddaughter is going to be thrilled with this heirloom quilt made with love by her grandmother. I'm sure that you will also be delighted while working on it and "bringing it to life"! Hoping that you will share photos as you work on it.

Lois

Latest posts

Back