Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for telling me about your dad's experience. Glad to know its not just me. I have gone over ever part of the whole harness on and off the horse and can't find anything peculiar. I think you are right, some just don't like the synthetic. I!will say this particular harness is very stiff and that probably doesn't help.

I did find another spotted harness. It is made by Tough 1. It's not expensive and the reviews for Tough 1 harnesses are all over the place, but I thought I might try it. Has anyone ever had one made by them?

I just mostly need something for the sled. I could get another Big Dee harness, they both LOVE that harness, but Cappy has outgrown the bridle that comes with it. I was going to get a separate bridle anyway, so maybe that's an option. It is an easy harness to use, buckles and such work nicely.

Tomorrow I will take him out and start from scratch with the comfy harness. I felt badly today for letting him get all bothered and worked up. But at least we figured it out and ended positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting from scratch worked. He was much happier today and over the events of yesterday. I even tried a new way of!doing things and met with success. I ran the lines through the shaft carriers and when I did the smaller circles, kept the outside line around his bum. I only did this on a whim, to see what would happen, I usually keep the line through the turrets and across his back. Anyway, he was quite happy with this arrangement. I only kept it set up that way for a few minutes at the end so he could adjust to it slowly, but he offered up a couple of nice bending circles. He is not the most flexible fella, so I was impressed with his effort.

I really think he knows the ropes and he is the one teaching me.

Starting from scratch worked. He was much happier today and over the events of yesterday. I even tried a new way of!doing things and met with success. I ran the lines through the shaft carriers and when I did the smaller circles, kept the outside line around his bum. I only did this on a whim, to see what would happen, I usually keep the line through the turrets and across his back. Anyway, he was quite happy with this arrangement. I only kept it set up that way for a few minutes at the end so he could adjust to it slowly, but he offered up a couple of nice bending circles. He is not the most flexible fella, so I was impressed with his effort.

I really think he knows the ropes and he is the one teaching me.
I do this with the lines as well. Clementine has a nasty habit of throwing her head up then spinning to wrap the reins so I have no control. Someone here suggested running the reins through the shaft loops and it's worked wonders for us.

For a harness, Countryside Manufacturing in Iowa (who makes the ComfyFit harness for Chimacum) sells really great synthetic spotted harnesses. I've run his harnesses on everything from Draft to mini and never had a problem. If you do he'll make it right.

Glad you had a good ground session with him. It feels good when you've had such a rough one the time before.

I will look into that harness. I have someone interested in the old one, but I dunno if I want to sell it to them in case they have the same problem! I warned them about it and they were unphased by it, so maybe their mini is used to synthetic.

I had Peanut out today in the old harness, what a difference! My happy fella was back.

I used the old plastic sled, tied up the traces with baling twine (!) and off we went.

I used the fleece cover I made and he stayed pretty warm. I think I should upgrade to a real quarter sheet, but it adds a decorative touch to the tie dyed plastic sled and the baling twine. And my orange trapper hat.

I will look into that harness. I have someone interested in the old one, but I dunno if I want to sell it to them in case they have the same problem! I warned them about it and they were unphased by it, so maybe their mini is used to synthetic.

I had Peanut out today in the old harness, what a difference! My happy fella was back.

I used the old plastic sled, tied up the traces with baling twine (!) and off we went.

I used the fleece cover I made and he stayed pretty warm. I think I should upgrade to a real quarter sheet, but it adds a decorative touch to the tie dyed plastic sled and the baling twine. And my orange trapper hat.
May need to see a picture of this colorful setup!

If you told them about your problem with it and they still want it I would go ahead and sell it to them. Full disclosure is all anyone can ask. I'm sure if it causes them a problem they will think "well, she warned us" and won't be upset.

My trapper hat is red plaid. Aren't they the BEST warm hats? We have been down to 4 degrees for several days. Hanging onto a cough, so I don't want to get out in the cold yet. Warming up tomorrow, however, so I'm hoping to get the boys out. Dapper Dan is raring to go.

They ARE warm, mine has been a blessing. I bought it a year ago at Tractor Supply. Hubby and I were horsing around and I tried it on for kicks and he jokingly said "you wear it, you buy it" so I ended up with it. I never thought I would wear it and then THIS winter happened!

Sorry you have a cough, I had it last week and Hubby was pretty sick with it for a week and a half over New Years. Seems like everyone has it.

Glad DD is feeling hot to trot.

I loaded up Buckly and took him to town today to get some exposure. I think we walked about 5 miles. We went around the park and over the metal bridge that spans the lake. My sister led her little Jackie O; she is totally unflappable, so Buckly did things he might not have done otherwise. Quite a few children came up to pet, so he got some good exposure there. When we got back to the trailer, she brought the sulky shafts up behind him, did some bumping, and he did well. So good day for ground driving him.

i have not beenable to do more than give my ponies basic care. water froze for an ntire week water had to bucket water from the house. temp 0 =14 same time. sc here i come. i will make up driving time when i get there. too old for this weather

It is hard when the temp gets that low, we went through that a couple of weeks ago and had to lug water from the kitchen for about 14 days. And all the dressing and undressing of umpteen winter layers can wear a person down.

How would you like to move to Maine, Jeannie? There is a house for sale that we are so tempted to look at. Four acres and a nine stall barn. But you'd have to put up with beastly winters. Love to have you as a neighbor though :) Its about 30 miles from me. It has apple trees and a ring. If you buy the house, then I won't have to ☺

Marsha, That is quite a walk you and Buckly went on! Sounds like he is making real progress with the shafts. One of these times I bet it just clicks for him and it will be easy peasy for him after that.

I drove Peanut today. Probably the last time until we get more snow for the sled.

I'm always embarrassed about my horses this time of year. They are so yakish and unkempt looking. I don't like to do the bridle path too short, as I think they need that fur for warmth so they have mohawks. And then they have no ears to speak of. And they seem to have no hooves, just short hairy legs. Dapper Dan really is a very nice looking horse! I've never seen Buckly without winter fur. It is always amusing when we are out and about that people want to know how old they are. They think they are baby horses, and are incredulous when we say they are 9 or 16 or 20! We did get someone stopping us to ask if we would do a birthday party. Have to think about that... We even met a child who was terrified of horses; he had been to a play and two boys were in a horse costume.

Marsha, our neighbors daughter is afraid of our minis. She watches them from her bedroom window, and her dad says she talks about them all the time, but she will only come as close as the end of our driveway. That makes me sad .

Cappy had his teeth floated last week. I was talking with the vet about his "busy" mouth and whether or not it was him evading because of discomfort or habit. She checked him over and said his molars were super close to his cheek so she did a "bit seat" so he would have a little more room in there. I have never had this done before, and have heard controversy about it, but she only took a tiny bit off and I did actually notice a difference when I had him out this weekend. I suppose it is too soon to tell as I need a few more outings with him, but I am hopeful this did the trick.

We are having an ice storm so no driving for the next week or so. I hope it melts fast.

@Cayuse: How is the bit seat working for you? I've heard of it but never had it done for any of my horses.

My minis are all in full Yak coat right now. Clementine grows a full beard. It's the most amazing thing I've ever seen. The hair under her jaw is 4-5" long. Yup, I measured
default_smile.png
I could braid her beard and put beads in it for crying out loud!

I think it's time to take Clementine back to the vet and have an ultrasound done to check for tumors/cysts. She's still uncomfortable when you are around her flank in front of her hips. She's also got a terrible attitude. She was always my rock steady with ground manners. Now when you take her out to walk her she's trying to run past you, spin around, and bolt. She's always been spunky but this is not spunk. This is just terrible attitude and behavior. Something is not right. I really hope we can figure this out and get it fixed. I thought we were doing better because she will settle in after 5-10 minutes but she's being handled a lot more now and she's still nasty at first. I could normally leave her alone for 3-4 months over the winter, hitch her in the spring, and she would be fine. Now I'm nervous to even hitch her. I'll update with what I find out.

Sure hope you find out something about Clementine. That is worrisome.

Buckly is a little reactive on the rt rear. Not as bad as when I got him, but still noticeable. I will get on the schedule for the chiropractor and see if that is the issue.

My equine dentist does a bit seat on my horses, if needed.

MC, I have only had Cappy out twice since his dental but I do think the bit seat has helped. It will take a few more drives for be to be certain. I can't even get the ponies out to the paddocks because we have so much ice right now, so I think it will be a week or so before I can drive again. They are turned out on a 8x20 cement walkway that runs behind the barn that I was able to clear off and rig up a temp fence around. They can't move much but at least they get a change of scene. We are supposed to get melting weather over the weekend. I hope.

Clem does sound like she might have some kind of repro thing going on almost. She's not getting "fat" is she???

I'm still thinking of her and Pistol....

I had a pony that would retain a follicle sometimes, once she bled into her ovary and was pretty sick with what looked like colic. After this happened several times we had to put her on Regumate. It stopped her cycles and she was comfortable after that. She was awfully grouchy before the regumate.

Marsha, I saw that Buckly is almost ready for the shafts to be attached, it sounds like he is learning at a good rate! ☺.

Do your guys have a bit seat done on them currently?

Clem does sound like she might have some kind of repro thing going on almost. She's not getting "fat" is she???

I'm still thinking of her and Pistol....

I had a pony that would retain a follicle sometimes, once she bled into her ovary and was pretty sick with what looked like colic. After this happened several times we had to put her on Regumate. It stopped her cycles and she was comfortable after that. She was awfully grouchy before the regumate.
This does concern me. Another reason we are taking her to the vet. If she is pregnant my dad is in big trouble for putting them together after he was told not to. I love having the horses down south but it is hard when I'm not the one overseeing their daily care. If she foals he's already been informed that he is going to be the proud owner of a brand new mini horse. Which he will have for the duration of it's life since the last thing the world needs is another "accidental" mini horse. Luckily, dad and I have a great relationship so, while he know's I'm serious, he still loves me.

I agree with you that even if not pregnant is sounds like a reproductive problem. Mom and dad will be trailering her to the vet then calling me to let me talk to the vet to express my concerns and give consent for ultrasounds or scope or whatever he thinks needs done. That way there is no middle man. Less confusing for everyone involved.

In good news. Dad has been working with Pistol. I talked to Mom today and she said he's "Sooooo nice". He's ground driving now twice a week. Dad is going to build the PVC shafts soon now that he's pretty solid on his cues. Maybe I will have a teammate for Clementine after all....if I can get her straightened out.

Uh oh! Dads in trouble.

Seriously though, your dad sounds like such a nice man. I wish he and my husband could hang out and talk horses together. My husband would like another man to share the horse interest with, I think.

I hope all goes well at Clem's visit. When is her appointment?

I can't get the vet to answer the phone or call me back! I'm calling again one minute after they open tomorrow. I know they are really busy and it's a small family run clinic but geeze. Anyway... I love the vet and his son who comes down to help him a couple times a month. The son is one of the top equine vets in the state and works at the largest equine surgical center in Utah. So I get pro vet care at country vet prices. I'm willing to put up with a little frustration for that.

Thank you for the kind words about my Dad. He is a good guy. And he LOVES to talk.

Totally not driving related.... I put a deposit down on a standard poodle puppy today. I've been wanting one ever since I started grooming 15 years ago and it's finally time. She's technically a "Parti" poodle. She's chocolate brown with a white patch on her chest and white toes on every foot. Like hot cocoa with marshmallows! I'm so in love with her. I've named her Coquette. The french term for a flirty woman. Coco for short. Oh, AND she was whelped on my birthday! It's meant to be
default_smile.png
She comes home March 16.... it seems like so long. She's going to be my cart dog. So I guess it's a little driving related.

Back