When to start driving training?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Amanda~

Reaction score
I was wondering what is a good/safe age to start training a pony or miniature for driving?

I have always been told you can lightly drive big horses before riding them as if you do it carefully it doesn't cause undue stress on their joints and legs. I was wondering if it was the same for ponies and miniatures? If so, what age is a good age to start them with the basics?

I don't believe that any horse should be rushed if possible. Not only are their joints not ready, but their minds usually aren't, either.

Most horses are reasonable and good students... and miniatures in particular are very easy to break to drive. Therefore, there should be no reason to rush them.

As to miniatures being similar to big horses... remember they are only a quarter of the size and being asked to pull YOUR weight! Comparatively we are a lot more to pull than a big horse would be asked.

That said, I usually start ground driving horses of ALL sizes (mini to draft) the fall of their two-year-old year. Usually start Sept/Oct and then drive until they are more than broke ground driving. Then, usually around the first of the year, I start incorporating hooking the cart into their repertoire. Our show season starts as early as March, and that then gives us a few months between the shafts before our first show.

Have fun!

Andrea

Thank you. That's what I was meaning. Ground driving, some work over low-poles, etc. Not actually expecting them to pull anyone just yet.

I would begin ground driving the spring they turn 3 years old. Not before. I do not think they are mature enough before then. If they end up having an accident (God forbid) I don't think they are as willing to go back ito the cart.

I have a gelding that I trained to drive in the fall of his 2nd year and he did great with it. He is an easy going boy, pretty safe for about anyone to take out now. He is 5 years old now. I also have a gelding that just turned 3 that we started to ground break last fall and we just hooked him this past weekend for the first time and he took to it a lot better than I expected! Good luck with yours!

Barb

Thank you everyone for the input. Can anyone recommend some good books/videos on driving and training to drive for minis?

I have started ground driving with Bailey and he is 2&1/2 and doing just great! I'm just taking it very slowly and he seems to be enjoying it, along with me.

I have also done a little ground driving with Willow who is 1 & 1/2 and she is doing fine too. She just follows Bailey's lead and I'm sure she thinks if Bailey can do it, I can do it. I'm certainly not pushing Willow at such a young age, but the ground driving I'm doing with her is very basic.

Latest posts

Back