When a mare goes way overdue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Valley

Reaction score
We've been talking so much about mares making us wait, and from another thread it seems that it is becoming fashionable in the mini-mare set to hold onto those fetuses for a while this year. Does it cause problems with registration in either registry for the mare to go over...say 385 days? There was one mentioned that went 404 days...would that cause a problem? Would a simple DNA test be enough to satisfy the registries?

Stacye

Hi Stacye,

As Vice President of a national mini society here in Australia , I think that DNA testing would certainly support/prove the breeding as correct. That is how it works here. But both parent's DNA would need to be on file as well as the foal being tested.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Friend had an imported stallion (imported as a foal at foot) and DNA'd him for permanent AMHA (USA) registration - came back not by the stallion on his papers! Bred by a wellknown stud in USA.

Had to get a list of stallions that were at the stud at same time as the mare. One of the names was the matching DNA!!! So his AMHA papers were issued to reflect the correct parentage. :aktion033: Friend then had to change his Australian registration to reflect this.
default_yes.gif
:

DNA "proves" 99.9% correct parentage - Blood Typing only shows who can't be the parents. That is why most societies have changed over to DNA these days for proof of parentage - not exclusion.

Stacye, I wondered the same thing a couple of years ago when a mare was hovering around 365..AMHA told me they give 12 months on the breeding dates sent in on the stud report....my mare went 372 and DNA wasn't required...I don't recall what AMHR said but the foal was double registered. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not facing the same issue again with 2 mares that REFUSE to foal
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back