Whats the difference???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackwater Farm

Reaction score
I am planning on taking my gelding to a local show that has some mini only classes. I want to enter him in the Country Pleasure driving class as he is a nice and chill kinda guy and is very light and responsive, has a nice trot but nothing that real animated or anything so I thought it would be a good fit. My question is what is the difference between the working trot and the pleasure trot? I have asked this question before, not on here, and got different answers. The rulebook for the show isnt very clear as to the distinct differences between the two and what the judge will be looking for in each. Thank you!

One of the reasons you'll get different answers is because different associations and disciplines use the same terms to mean different things.
default_rolleyes.gif
For instance in driven dressage/CDE, a "working trot" is your basic go-to-town trot. It's forward, rhythmic, has impulsion, and can be either collected, lengthened or extended. One of the mini breed associations (I honestly can't recall which one right now) uses "working trot" to mean the relaxed, slower gait and then a "pleasure trot" to mean what I would consider the lengthened trot!
default_wacko.png
I always forget over the winter which association uses what terms. To me they're all wrong anyway!
default_laugh.png
I just enter the ring at my working gait and then ask for a more powerful, lengthened trot when they call for the next gait. Works pretty well.

Leia

Thanks for that response Leia - you make me feel so much better because I get confused too! I show ADS, AMHA and Pinto and it seems the trots have different names. And from what I observe, it is rare to see a very definite lengthening when the second trot is called for. I think you will be way ahead of the game if your horse is nicely forward, on the bit and can show a definite difference in length of stride in the "second trot", whatever it is called.

To confound the issue, some classes I have been in (can't recall where) have called for a "collected trot" and I don't think they really mean a "dressage" collected trot with shortened stride, on the bit, elevated head carriage and some suspension. I think they use that term for the "first trot".

Definitely get a rulebook and look at the association in which you are showing. We showed in a back to back AMHR and the next day AMHA show. The judges weren't even sure what they were calling for. When I questioned the call of gait they appologized to us for making it so confusing.

AMHR asks for trot (regular slow trot ) first and then they ask for an EXTENDED trot (which is pretty self explanatory). I like the way they do it - I'm prejudice. Some judges even specifiy Country Pleasure trot or Wester Pleasure trot for the first slow/collected trot then say Extended Trot.

AMHA rules read they call Pleasure Trot (that's the slower or more collected one) then Working Trot which is their version of the extended trot.

Open show or Pinto - you're on your own. It would be best if you just go up to the judge (actually the steward) before the class and ask for clarification of the "calls" they will be making.

Last edited by a moderator:
targetsmom said:
And from what I observe, it is rare to see a very definite lengthening when the second trot is called for. I think you will be way ahead of the game if your horse is nicely forward, on the bit and can show a definite difference in length of stride in the "second trot", whatever it is called.
Very true. Most people just go faster and trust me, that is neither pretty nor correct.

targetsmom said:
To confound the issue, some classes ... call for a "collected trot" and I don't think they really mean a "dressage" collected trot with shortened stride, on the bit, elevated head carriage and some suspension. I think they use that term for the "first trot".
Ah yes, THAT was what annoyed me so much!
default_laugh.png
I forgot exactly what drove me so crazy but that was it.

Sandee said:
AMHR asks for trot (regular slow trot ) first and then they ask for an EXTENDED trot (which is pretty self explanatory). AMHA rules read they call Pleasure Trot (that's the slower or more collected one) then Working Trot which is their version of the extended trot.
It's no wonder AMHA drivers get so confused when they try their first dressage test. Why on earth any registry would call their extended, faster gait the "working" one I don't know! Working is what you do when you're, you know, working.
default_unsure.png
Getting from place to place, not getting the heck out of dodge. Oh well.

Like I said, I pretty much ignore the calls and drive my horse at his best in the spirit of the class description (Western, Country, whatever) without worrying much about what name they're actually calling. Trot 1 and Trot 2 work for me! LOL

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true. Most people just go faster and trust me, that is neither pretty nor correct.
The first time I saw minis driving was at an AMHR show years ago. When they did the extended trot those little front legs looked like egg beaters whirling around!! NO extension at all!! That was why I chose to not drive AMHR, and compete ADS.

Latest posts

Back