What time of day do you work your horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&HMinis

Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone thinks there is a "better" time of day when it is more effective? I've heard a couple different things and was just interested to hear what you all think.
default_smile.png

Also, do you use anything extra during the workouts? Extra sweats? ground poles?

I work my two about 7 in the evening. The sun is setting behind a tall tree which casts a nice shade on our round pen which is in the pasture. Plus I have the horses grazing their evening grass at that time & it is a peaceful scene to observe.

Last edited by a moderator:
At night after work. Not by choice, but since I leave for work before 6 in the morning, the nighttime is my only option.

Weekends-- usually in late morning or early afternoon.

I havent been this year. THey just get to do as they please and be horses.

However, last year when I was it was about 2am.

Since we're retired I can choose and pick my times. So if I want to drive my stallion I do it later in the afternoon (or on a HOT day, early evening) so he's not so "uppy" and will listen to me better. My filly on the other hand turns her thinking brain on in the morning and later in the day she can be tired, uninterested, and ditzy so she gets mornings. If it's just an exercise run behind the golf cart any time of day when it's not too hot.

I don't work them in the neck sweats. Mine wear them over night. The stallion doesn't lunge well but the filly does and I do sometimes work her over ground poles. I like to rotate the type or the way I work them so they don't get bored.

Sometimes I just do walks in the morning hours. If it's summer, it's usually earlier in the morning....in the winter it can be anywhere from late morning to early afternoon. As far as driving I like to drive in the late afternoon and early evening.

My horses are fed very early in the morning (around 3:30am this time of year). I usually lunge the show horses (every other day) in the early morning, staring as early as 5:30am. Sometimes I do it in the afternoon and my round pen is shady, but I like to do it before it gets like a sauna outside. On days I do not lunge (every other day), I will sometimes work veri briefly on setting up, etc., with young horses in either the early morning or the late evening.

Jill, 3:30am :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked:.

Ashley, 2 am???? You all are morning people, im just going to bed at 2am :new_shocked:

So i guess i am kind of the odd ball but i work my horses between 3pm-7pm ..whatever time i get out there and done doing stalls, cleaning buckets ext. Then round 8pm-9pm i work setting up ext. If i am going to ground drive i will normally go out around 7pm and do that. I could not imagine doing anything like that so early in the morning, im dead until noon normally lol.

I feed at 8:00 am and normally 7:30 pm.
default_smile.png

In my case, my husband, Harvey feeds them in the morning and he goes to work very early this time of year! I can't stand the heat much so I work them early in the day, and I usually enjoy working them, but then also I don't feel like it's "hanging over my head" all day. After a day at the office and meeting with clients, I don't feel nearly as energetic as I do way early in the morning
default_smile.png
Even on days I'm not going to work, I like to exercise them early.

This morning, i was out around 6am washing and clipping
default_yes.gif
:

Actually no IM not a moring person...........just at that time it was when I was getting home from work...

I often find that the horses are quieter in the morning than they are in the evening, for whatever reason, so used to be when I was starting the big horses under saddle or in harness I'd try to have the first few rides/drives in the morning--same with the minis, they get hitched the first few times in the morning. If one tends to be a bit lazy, he'll get worked in the evening more often than not, and once they've got some experience then it doesn't matter, I work them whenever there is the time. Might be mornings some days, evenings other times, very late evenings some time. Weather is another factor--I don't function well in really hot temperatures so in summer I work mornings and late evenings. Have been known to be out there at midnight or later working horses in the big corral under the yard light!

I have friends who always want to work their horses at regular times--and I knw there were times when they'd go to a show & have to show very very late at night, and they'd complain that their horses didn't work well because they just weren't used to being worked at such a late hour. Mine never have that problem--work is work, at whatever weird, late hour 'mom' wants us to work!

Jill--it was 36 degrees here at 6 this morning(on JUNE 8th, mind you--and this is NEW MEXICO, not ALASKA!!)-, so guess your schedule wouldn't work for me!!
default_wink.png
:

Seriously--I do like to get an early start; nowadays, it's generally 6:45-7 AM when I go out in the AM. The conditions of the day dictate when I work horses; in winter, if weather allows, I work around mid-PM. During spring and summer, I usually work by mid to late AM, to both 'beat' the rising spring winds, and later on, in summer, to beat the heat of the day. I work so hard around my place that I usually don't have the 'steam' left to work horses in the late PM, ever; however, on REALLY nice days, I have occasionally done so. I will either full feed, then wait at least two hours before working one, or, if I need to work earlier, will partial feed, then give the balance after the work out(and cool down.) I don't work them outside at all, unless it's REALLY basic stuff, like ONLY for the exercise, if the winds are strong--I don't think a horse can focus on the job at hand under such conditions. I don't believe in a firm schedule; horses can get TOO used to it, and be stressed if you then deviate from it, for whatever reason.

Margo

3:00 am!!!!!!!

Our horses are musician's horses and only see us at that time if we're coming home from a gig!

(They are fed at regular times, 12 hours apart, but it's more like 8am and 8pm)

Temperature isn't usually a big issue, although in August and September the afternoons can get pretty hot.I won't exercise them until two hours after feeding, but in the morning that means 10am -- right in the middle of my office hours (I'm self-employed). If I wait too late and too close to dinner time, Mingus gets grumpy and doesn't focus on the task at hand. So unless its really hot, we work at around 2:00pm. Afterward we all enjoy high tea...

We work ours in the afternoon when we all get in from work. Usually somewhere around 4:30 to 7:00, then we wait for an hour then feed. In the later summer when it starts to get too hot, we will feed earlier, then work them out after 8:00 at night. All of ours like their gatoraide after a good work out, it is kinda of a treat for them after working so hard. It is really cute to watch them walk around with red lips. (fruit punch :bgrin )

Heather,

The two I show, get worked AM and PM around 9 and again around 5, unless one of them is being driven that day, then she gets it in the AM only. 20 minutes including a warm up and cool down. Lyric is in her bitting rig.

The two the girls show, get done after school before the "Fun in the ring" begins.

HOT, HOT weather will change this too, and they will get hosed down after a good penning.

i agree with minimor..i'ts not always good to have them on a "schedual" and only working in certain types of weather. As an eventer I was trained to ride your horses in ALL types of weather. they do NOT cancel the show's around here or most places because it's "hot" or "cold" or "raining". I know most mini show's i go to are HOT HOT HOT . it's not the most ideal but horses need to learn it's work time no matter how miserably hot they are.

this is just my theory but if they are used to it..they will have less troubles adjusting when the time comes for showing in it.

Latest posts

Back