What it's all about...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
After a long, cold winter (for Oregon, that is) and months of rain and mud, Spring has arrived, if only temporarily. Clear blue sky and a delightfully warm morning lured me from my work to sit with my horses.

Mingus now leads with just my arm over his neck, and we strolled back to the stump in sunny part of the corral. Flash and Thelonius were still picking at the last of their hay, food being of higher importance than scritches.

Mingus drowsed as I sat rubbing his ears and neck, neither one of us able to keep our eyes open in the warm sun. Finally Mingus gave in and sunk to his knees, then down to the ground. Within minutes, Flash flopped down close by, cleverly choosing the remainder of a hay pile so he could continue his brunch. Thelonius continued his search for morsels left by his dominant peers.

Since the dry lot is, for the moment, dry (imagine that!), I lowered myself none too nimbly onto the ground next to Mingus. I stretched out my legs with feet near his head and leaned against him, enjoying the heat of his silky coat. He looked at me with half closed eyes, then with a deep, contented sigh he relaxed onto his side with his neck on my legs, his head on my feet. His nostril was at the instep of my clog, and his rhythmic breaths warmed my bare foot.

Mingus is a big boy, and his head and neck are rather heavy, but it hardly mattered. His love and trust were so evident that I didn't feel a thing. I lay my head on his side, and we both drifted off into a mid-morning reverie. (Some people may have nightmares, I must have daygeldings...) We half-awoke when Flash, too, collapsed onto his side with a nicker, then we returned to our nap.

Stolen moments from a busy day, the fleeting warmth of an April morning, the love I share with my horses...I can ask for nothing more.

That sounds just heavenly! I love ponytime nap cuddles.
default_smile.png

Wish someone with a camera could have captured that scene.

MA

I can see you all in my mind's eye, you paint a lovely picture!

It's very clear that you and Mingus will always share a special bond. I'm so happy for you both.
default_yes.gif
:

Wow, that is a beautiful reverie you painted for us with words.

I would love a picture, but that is what it's all about.

You should come visit with the foalies...they are fun, too, though nowhere near as mellow. *LOL*

Thanks for sharing!

Liz

susanne,

What a lovely nap - I loved your description, it made me feel sleepy and just like I was right there with you!

The love you share with your horses is certainly evident.

Hugs to Mingus, Flash and Thelonius, your precious fellows!!

So totally true...that IS what it is all about. The love of that horse is simply special!
default_wub.png
: Mary

How happy this made me, so full of love. Thank you for this picture left in my mind. FLFlyingW

That seems just lovely. You told it so well, I felt like I was there with you and your horses. I could imaging the scene. Do you write?

I think I might attempt something like that tomorrow, (if I can get the goofballs to stand still) seeing that i'll be zombified in exhaustion anyway.
default_poke.gif
:

Susanne, that was a lovely picture and I so understand what you are talking about. Those moments when the rest of the world doesn't exist and it is just you and a horse.

I have one horse on the string that is a little intense, I absolutely love him and I have been blessed to get him for the 2nd year now. He started out so very intense and scared of everything. All things were a challenge, from the simple to the complex. He still is very dependant on me for support in things but when he comes to me for that support and trusts me the rest of the world goes away and it is just me and him. I remember the first time he let me completely detail his face, it was our 4th show together. As he sat there with his chin in my hand and trusted me to clip and razor his face and stand totally still, the tears streamed down my face. It was a very special moment that I will always cherish.

I know Mingus and you have had your moments and to get to where you are with him is something you can truly be proud of as an accomplishment. Thanks for sharing and bringing back happy thoughts for me.

What a heart melting moment. Those moments where our horses have complete trust in us are priceless. My Bailey lets me do the same thing and I get choked up with tears as I don't want the moment to end.

Thanks for sharing that moment with us, you have an amazing way with words.
default_wub.png
:

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Molly, I have done a lot of journalistic writing and advertising copywriting and marketing communications, but I'm working at regaining the discipline to write what I want to write.

Annette, you are so absolutely right...and this moment was especially sweet considering how far we've come. I love your story...I can just feel that little guy's happiness as he has learned to relax and trust you!

I have moments like that from time to time. My husband is just beginning to learn the joy of being with the horses. We've had afternoons just sitting in the pasture having the horses come up and nibble our toes and untie our shoes and steal our gloves, and it is a good feeling to know that they are trying to communicate with us through their antics. I've had times where I've just lay down and enjoyed their company, and even had one of our fillies (Bockie) lay down beside me, but I've never had a moment where one just decided to take a full fledged nap. That must have been awesome.

Folks without horses don't know what they miss.

Stacye

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Valley said:
Folks without horses don't know what they miss.
Stacye
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

I'm with you, Susanne. Been there, loved that. Thank you for sharing so eloquently.

Leia

Latest posts

Back