What is a good age to start showing a foal???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShanesPonies

Reaction score
Hiya! We are due to hopefully be having 2 foals this year in May and June. Me and my mother are just getting started in showing. One mare is ASPC and the other is doubled on ASPC and AMHA. We'd like to show the foals as weanlings but it seems they would be too young to hit most of the shows this year unless there will be shows held in October and through the winter here in PNW.
What is a good age to wean for showing? Shetland and Miniture.
We have personally always kept foals with mom 6 months.

Hiya! We are due to hopefully be having 2 foals this year in May and June. Me and my mother are just getting started in showing. One mare is ASPC and the other is doubled on ASPC and AMHA. We'd like to show the foals as weanlings but it seems they would be too young to hit most of the shows this year unless there will be shows held in October and through the winter here in PNW.
What is a good age to wean for showing? Shetland and Miniture.
We have personally always kept foals with mom 6 months.
May and June foals are tough to show. They are showing against foals that are often 4-6 months older and at that age, that is a huge gap. Personally my late foals don’t show till they are yearlings. Another option is to show online. There are some groups that allow you to show every month. They are rated obviously but it’s a good way to practice!

I see weanlings still on mom at the shows. And some are spectacular, but none are well behaved. The minis don't seem to mature as quickly as the big horses. If you wanted to show them, I would try some local fun shows first, and decide how much of the nonsense you want to deal with before you spend the money for a real show.

Yearlings for me. We like to foal in June-July because we're outside strictly up here. However, I like taking them for drives around "the block" and for outings to local facilities at 6 - 8 months to start their exposure. The more you do with them as yearlings and 2 year olds, the easier they're going to be to start when they're 3 and 4 years old.

Latest posts

Back