What horses for someone to start?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Julie~

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and...

Here's my next question.

I am hoping to get at least two minis, hopefully by next spring.

What should I start out with?

So many decisions!

If YOU were starting out, and just wanted a few, probably no more than four at a time, what would YOU start out with? I see many sales of mares in foal... can a newbie handle that? Also sales of fillies... would that be a good start so you could have babies a few years down the road?

I strongly appreciate any help and ideas you all have.

~Julie~

Good for you to think about it before you run out and buy! The very best advice I can give you is if you have no prior experience with horses, breeding or handling, get yourself a gelding. A stallion is an absolute NO for a beginner. Mares frequently have issues with hormones and, if in foal or with foal, can be obnoxious and difficult to handle as their main concern is their baby and they will walk all over you if you get in their way. A gelding doesn't come with any of that baggage and will be far more tractable and easy to handle. They can keep their mind on their job and will be your best buddy. You can get a far better quality animal for far less money if you choose a gelding and will be happier in the long run. Foaling comes with all kinds of possible heartache and financial stress and is not for a beginner. Good luck with your Minis - I know you will enjoy them!!!

You should also decide if you plan to show,and if so get a horse that would suit you for that,or if you want to get into breeding,then you will want to look around and get an idea of what you like.I also have to say... GO GELDINGS!!!
default_smile.png
Good luck!
default_smile.png

I applaud you for thinking ahead and asking questions. I am fairly new here and don't usually answer questions like this, but I went through what you are doing not too long ago. We got our first mini in 2004 - a GELDING- and had him gelded as part of the deal. I suggest that you have a PLAN, even if it keeps changing. And definitely consider a gelding or two to start. Our plan was to get a Pinto mini that we could take to the Pinto shows, which offer mini classes as well as standard halter and riding classes. Our gelding has been doing well in those shows. We have since decided to breed, and started with 2 weanling fillies later that year. We bought 2 older mares and only just now have the first one in foal for next year. And we do have a young stallion, although that was not in the plan for quite this soon! I would suggest that you spend some time on the forum during foaling season before you decide to buy a bred mare or take up breeding. Even with 45 years of big horse experience, including one foal, we are taking miniature breeding VERY seriously and slowly.

In addition to Pinto, we also show at some AMHA and local shows, with an emphasis on performance. Keep in mind the performance side when you select your minis. Even if you think you just want a pet - but especially if you may one day want to breed - this is important. Size, temperament, conformation, and movement will all be important cosiderations, depending on what you might want to do with your minis. We show ours in hunter, jumper, halter obstacle, showmanship, liberty, and are starting some driving.

Good luck!

I'm not a breeder and in fact I am fairly new to mini's (but not to horses) and I agree. Get a gelding to start, learn how to feed a mini and keep a mini fit, then if you are still interested in having them, look into getting more or getting some breeding stock. But definately get some experience under your belt before you start in on foaling.

It sounds like you want to breed sometime in the future. I think you're smart not to just start buying. Take your time, look around, and if you do want something to breed in the future buy the best that you can afford! Sometimes smaller farms have the same quality horses that the larger ones do. The larger farms can command the bigger prices because of the name they have made for themselves. I run a small scale breeding farm with only a few mares and one stallion. In fact this will be Heir's first year producing. I bought most of my stock from the larger farms and I'm picky about what I like. Conformation and disposition come first with me but I am a Pinto breeder so I do also pick color......however, even if I really like their color I won't buy if there's a conformational flaw. I also like a good pedigree. I know I will be producing some nice horses but I don't have the funds to be competitive in AMHA shows, so my horses will never command the prices that the bigger farms get(and rightly so.....they've put a lot of money into campaigning and making their names). I do show Pinto and we're doing well. That's the other thing you have to decide.....do you want to show and at what level? If you want to breed; then I'm going to suggest you get a nice filly. Something you can show if you want and later breed. If you really want to do the breeding thing than a bred mare is often a good deal. Mini's sometimes have difficult births and nothing is guaranteed....I wouldn't do it if you have no experience in birthing animals(I used to raise goats and find a lot of similarities). Anyway, take your time and good luck with whatever direction you decide to go! :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get a mare make sure you find out how many LIVE foals the mare has had. Also has she needed human intervention to deliver the foal. Even if she has had several foals & no problems delivering, you still need to learn a lot between now & foaling time as there is always that possibility............... A filly would be good - make sure it is show & breeding quality if that is what you plan on doing. A colt to geld or a gelding to start out with is ok also............... Try to look at the sire, dam & all of the siblings possible in whatever you buy. I keep pictures of all of the related horses so that I can show the potential buyer the quality that theirs is related to. Our website consists of more horses related to the ones that we have for sale than actual sale horses. Doesn't sit right with some people to see all of the SOLD horses but this is what I would want to see if I were buying.............................. Best of luck to you.

Miniature Horses are so much fun. I started first with two mares as pets. Then a stallion, then babies. Then we started showing. Out of all of it what I like the best is driving. If I had it to do all over again I would get a miniature horse, probably a gelding that is trained to drive. It is so much fun. I now have 4 that can drive. Around here if they are two and a half and haven't gone to a new home it doesn't matter if they are a mare, gelding or stallion, they learn to drive. Good Luck

I would get ONE (MAYBE two) gelding
default_smile.png
You don't want to get over your head, and there are TONS of little details you never think of until its too late. I've helped manage barns, and worked in several different stables for five years (solid, 5+ days a week) before I bought my first horse (a stallion, but to be fair I collect and handle full sized stallions for a living
default_smile.png
They are NOT beginner horses, don't even think about one!
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) and I was constantly lost and in need of guidance. Then when I bought my second (my mini) I STILL was lost from time to time (what does a wormy horse look like?! He looks normal to me! just a little chubby...) Things like that seem simple, but aren't. Definately board your horse somewhere where an experience horseperson can watch over you and teach you what you need to know. Then when you are ready you can move to your own place and watch things explode into your own farm.
default_smile.png
Okay, maybe "explode" wasn't the right word, but its pretty dang close! lol. Start slow, get hands-on help, and get an animal NOT hormonally guided. Don't jump in and get a broodmare before you understand what exactly a broodmare needs to be. I'm a stallion person, I deal with the male aspect of breeding, and even though I've been doing this for years and have nearly completed my MS in equine repro, I'm STILL your worst choice for picking the winning broodmare. Luck aside, you won't find that perfect broodmare either with your first shot, so get yourself educated and experienced before you jump in
default_smile.png
Geldings are PERFECT to learn with; they are forgiving, patient (usually), and much more relaxed in general, unaffected by the raging hormones of a mare and the general raging of a stallion. There are sweet mares out there, and sweeter stallions, but wait on those, they'll still be out there when you are ready and learned from your gelding
default_smile.png

Thanks for the responses! :bgrin

Further question...

I have read not to have just one horse, they need companions, so

if I get a gelding, should it be two geldings?

Is any age preferrable?

~Julie~

Depends what you do. If you board him, he'll be in an enviroment where if he doesn't have a friend directly with him, he'll be able to see other horses and be social, even if not in physical contact. So you could easily "get by" with one. If you are going to be bringing him directly to your house to live in the back yard, he will most likely (of course there are exceptions) be happier with a companion of some kind. That can be another mini, a goat, sheep, dog, small child, etc.

As far as age, older is better
default_smile.png
The more experienced and learned the horse is, the easier (in theory) it is for him to teach you and for you to learn. Something in his early teens would be perfect. Much younger than 5 and they are still "green" and less trained, older than 18-20 and they are approaching an age where medical care begins to increase. Minis live a reasonably long time, so a horse is just entering his prime in his early teens. Of course, there are ALWAYS exceptions.

I have read not to have just one horse, they need companions, so

if I get a gelding, should it be two geldings?
oh yes, they love companions. but horses do just fine by themselves too. its the people who love to have more!!!! sure, the ponies will absolutely enjoy a companion, and may be happier that way depending on the specific horse, but you will want to end up with more, more ...MORE! have you heard the saying minis are like potato chips, you can't just have one! mmmhhmm! i thought i would get one. just one. now i have five :lol: yup. they are addicting.

even if you did decide to start out with only one, not to worry, your mini will find himself with a companion soon enough
default_wink.png
:

Great advice. I wish I had taken the time to just have a couple nice geldings to show and look around/learn what I liked/what was looking good in the ring/good pedigrees, type, etc. and learned who was good to deal with.

Sometimes you can even find a great, experienced show gelding to lease if you're so inclined.

Join local club(s) and you will learn what breeders/members/trainers you like working with and doing business with, and learn LOTS about minis.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Liz M.

Hi Julie,

First before buying please contact some of the Forum members that are in your area. They would probably be a great resource on housing, feeding, reputable breeders, etc.

I know if someone contacts me about a horse and I don't have what they're looking for I have a list of reputable breeders in my area and across the country that I refer them to.

As for where to start - it really depends on your goals. You mentioned breeding down the road, again breeding/foaling can be highly rewarding or majorly heartbreaking and often both in the same year. If you know of any breeders in your area, see if you can intern with them through foaling season - it might change your mind or at the very least give you a bit more knowledge.

You've had sound advice on getting a gelding first, I would highly recommend that. I generally tell people knew to minis, your first mini should be one you really enjoy and like to look at. It may not be the best mini out there, but it will your first and always special. You'll also be spending lots of time with that one, so you'd better like him/her!

If you're positive you want to breed, really research the type of mini you want to produce, what market is there for that mini, and the expense of getting a live foal on the ground. Buy the best quality you can and breed to a better stallion.

I can tell you this from experience. My first 'minis' I purchased on a cold wet November day. I didn't know much about them, other than visiting a few websites, and a general 'horse' knowledge. I bought a mare, her filly at side and a colt (to be gelded - the only horse my husband picked and owns!) - they were a 'horse fix' until I could get a real horse! They were all black as I love Fresians and black horses!

I didn't know when I bought them that the mare was pregnant and due in a few months! So, I had a crash course on weaning, gelding, feeding, housing, foaling, a case of colic, the registry paperwork and a myriad of other mini things. That mare I also fed into super fat - she was 50lbs overweight when I was weaning the new foal at four months! Needless to say I was lucky with this mare as she's extremely smart has taught my whole family lots, and she foaled out fine and has every foal since. I've had years that aren't so lucky as any breeder will if you do this long enough.

Keep up the research and best of luck on your mini search!

[SIZE=14pt]IF It were me, I would first make a plan. Do you want to show? Do you want to breed quality that will sell to show people even if you dont? IF you answer yes to these questions I would buy a kick butt show gelding and , a mature mare that is top quality, maybe bred if she has delivered several live foals without intervention, or a young maiden mare than you can learn with, maybe show a little and then buy a breeding to the best stallion you can find. Spend the same amount you would on 4 on just these two and buy superior stock if you can. Dont just buy on impulse. If showing now and breeding later, I would spend ALL of it on a top show gelding with a show record to prove him...... save for a few years while you show and look around and THEN when you have lived with him a few years buy just the right mare and start from there. It costs less to care for two outstanding individuals than 4 mediocre ones and your return of your investment will be greater in the long run.[/SIZE]

Lyn

You're on the best track by asking questions and talking with others. If there is a mini farm nearby, it might be good to visit more than one time and if there is more than one farm visit them also. There is always a chance that you'll get a very positive or very negative experience from just one owner.

I've owned horses before but when we started 3 years ago I had no experience with minis. It's a bit different. So far my difference has been positive (I mean mine are so willing to please and for the most part are easy to train and handle). On the other hand I've had more vet calls for illness in one year than I ever had with big horses.

The best idea is to start with a gelding. If you intend to show look around ( a lot - they won't be standing in line for you). It took us several months before we bought our first gelding and I would guess that most would say we paid too much (the harness and cart with him was certainly no good). However, he had been shown and he was and is the best teacher we could ask for. He's now 18 and still teaching me.

So I'd say start with a gelding. If you are really wanting to breed later and you are confident and intended to keep them at your place get a filly for his company possibly a weanling that has the potential your looking for. The young ones are usually so easy to handle and get along with and you can train her if that interests you.

And keep asking questions. That's the best way to learn.

I agree with Milo Mins, also from experience. I got a mare in foal and her hormones were all out of wacked. I was excited because I thought I would be getting 2 for the price of 1, but I was wrong. She walked all over me and still does. I am still working with her now and she is doing much better. I have two Stallion yearlings and they are VERY sweet! They are like little puppies. They follow me everywhere and when I sit down with them, they will put there heads in my lap and almost fight over attention. Good luck with your minis. They are addictive and you will love and think about them all the time.

When I bought my first Mini, I had only the one stallion. He was my best buddy in the world. The mares and all came later. He did fine by himself. I have also had big horses by themselves, and they were not prone to getting 'horse sour' or some of the other issues with being herd bound.

If you have time/room for only one at this time, it's OK!! :bgrin

I would seriously think about what you want to do with the horse in the future. If you just want a show and driving horse, then a gelding would be a great choice, but we also used mares, if we were breeding or not, for our ranch horses with no hormonal problems that some folks complain about. I also have not had that issue with the Minis either. In fact, I have never owned a gelding in my life. We worked, showed, hunted and competed off of our mares (with great results I might add) and our stallion, when we had him, was put to use in the same manner. However, if you are not breeding, and you only are going to have one or two- I would not buy a stallion.

If you have to board out, make sure it is a SAFE place for Minis. I sold a filly a few years ago, and the people had her in a pen between two big horses. One of them reached over the fence and picked her up and broke her neck!! Make sure the Mini cannot climb under or through pipe bars either, into another pen or out somewhere.

Good for you for doing your homework before you buy!!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back