what colour will this foal end up?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a little filly I have found but am not sure what colour she will end up. Her mother is a black based gray and her father, I've been told, is a blue grulla.

The foal is dark black at 2 weeks, with a dorsal stripe and lighter markings on the back of her legs.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

This filly will more than likely be black (always has the possbility of graying too) grullas are not born black even the dark ones - the dorsal stripe will probably not be present when she coats out as a yearling- I've seen a lot of foals sold as dun or grulla because of that dorsal stripe - actually that is one reason why the IBHA only issues temp registration papers until the foal is a yearling, then with pictures showing the dun factor you can get permanent papers- I do think black is a beautiful color!

This filly will more than likely be black (always has the possbility of graying too) grullas are not born black even the dark ones - the dorsal stripe will probably not be present when she coats out as a yearling- I've seen a lot of foals sold as dun or grulla because of that dorsal stripe - actually that is one reason why the IBHA only issues temp registration papers until the foal is a yearling, then with pictures showing the dun factor you can get permanent papers- I do think black is a beautiful color!

I love black too and would love it if she would end up that colour! Does everyone else agree?

Thanks.

Yes does sound black, a pic would help alot offcourse.
default_wink.png
:

That is a black that will go grey.

So black born grey is her color.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerry, you are not suppose to post pictures of horses that you do not own, you could get in big trouble. Lori, the owner/breeder is the only one who can post pictures at this time, And I'm sure she would have for you. IMO, she will grey out.

Edited for spelling.

Kerry, you are not suppose to post pictures of horses that you do not own, you could get in big trouble. Lori, the owner/breeder is the only one who can post pictures at this time, And I'm sure she would have for you. IMO, she will grey out.

Edited for spelling.
Hello,

I am sorry, I didn't realize. How do I take the picture off?

Hee Hee, you can't
default_rolleyes.gif
: because you didn't post it, Meavey did it for you, so take it as a learning experience
default_yes.gif
:

ps. Did you see your other post?

I didn't get to see her picture, but I could guess just from your description that she was going to "gray out". You mentioned that she was very dark black at two weeks old. Well, as a general rule, black horses are usually born a grayish, or faded black color. Their deep black "adult" color comes in after the foal shed.

Strangely enough, a black foal who inherits the "graying" gene does just the opposite. It will be born it's true base coloring...very BLACK, then it will begin to gray out later. There are also other "indicators" that a foal is carrying the gray gene. Sometimes they are born with gray "goggles" around the eyes, where they have already begun to gray out. Sometimes they aren't born with those...but will acquire them soon after. On the ones that don't show the "goggles" right away...you can usually tell that they are carrying the gray gene by their deep, rich coloring.
default_yes.gif
:

(and of course, you DO have to have at least one gray parent)

Latest posts

Back