What Color is He?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeapachemoon

Reaction score
I know everyone is going to tell me to do color testing but I am just curious what color would you guess that he is?

This is him when I first got him.

100_4002.jpg

This is him shaved.

100_4291.jpg

So what do you think? I think he's the cutest mini ever!
default_yes.gif
JMO

He sure looks bay dun to me, but I cannot see any other dun factors such as the leg and shoulder barring or dorsal stripe, but the color itself sure looks bay dun.
default_yes.gif
So, if not bay dun, I would also go with buckskin.

He does have the dorsal but that is the only dun trait that he has. I need to get a better picture of it. On the paperwork the breeder wrote Buckskin but I am thinking about changing it to Dun before I send them in. He hasn't been registered yet, he's 10 months and the breeder didn't want to spend the money.

I can't see in your pictures, if he has a dorsal or not, but he looks very similar in color to the bay dun AQHA gelding I had.

Here's Tango:

Tango2004-1.jpg

[Ok, so its not a conformation pic, but it does show his color decently.]

Dun IMO. The darker head is a dun factor. Leg barring can be so faint that you may not see it. Dorsal stripes may also be a fainter colour but will still be distinct with sharp edges. Not all duns show all the dun factors at first glance.

dunfact.jpg

I am not seeing the Dun markings, but he could be both buckskin and dun. If he has the stripe.

Dun IMO. The darker head is a dun factor. Leg barring can be so faint that you may not see it. Dorsal stripes may also be a fainter colour but will still be distinct with sharp edges. Not all duns show all the dun factors at first glance.

dunfact.jpg

Thanks. This picture is very helpful. He has the dorsal stripe, lower face mask and ear tips. I don't see leg barring though.

I think he's a bay dun. His dorsal is NOT the only dun factor that is visible. His darker head is an indication of dun as well.

Latest posts

Back