What Class?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeapachemoon

Reaction score
I'm wondering what class should I put her in. Western Country Pleasure? What do you think?

I think you are pin on. Western Country Driving is what I see there.
default_biggrin.png

Personally; I see a bit of a gray area. The model western country pleasure horse will look like a Quarter Horse in carriage and movement. In my opinion only; I would like to see her head just a little bit lower. I think her leg action could almost do OK in the Country pleasure division. I would like a flatter knee for Western. You could try a few shows in Country pleasure and see how you place. After the show possibly ask if you can speak to the judge and ask their opinion. Or just go for the Western-same thing. See what the others here think too. Though we don't get to Nationals ($); we do a have few good shows and the Area show we attend. My Mom's horse is Western Country. He looks like a little QH going; low head carriage and a flat knee action. He has been CH. or Res. everytime. We have had two judges tell us he could be the model for the proper look for the class (my Mom's so proud of that compliment! she's a 'golden oldie' exhibitor!). It's hard sometimes to decide I know when you have one that is kind of 'inbetween' (and like I said: 'in my opinion'.).
default_saludando.gif

Ugh...Still not sure. Well I have some time to decide. Thanks for the comments so far.
default_smile.png

First, let me say I am NO expert. I don't even personally drive. But I do have lots of friends that are very serious about it and I also watch the driving classes at the shows.

My novice opinion is her head is too high for true WCP. Also, as someone else said, if her knee could be flatter - more of a straight-legged movement, I think that would help also. Otherwise, work on raising her head and increasing her knee break and show her CP. But as she is in that video, she's really a "tweener" as in in between the two classes.

Good luck with her!!

I have a trainer and also drive at the shows in Western Country Pleasure. It is hard to tell if you are in a working trot or an extended trot with this video. Bring the head down and slow the working trot down a little and see what you get. The driving classes are evolving and I'm afraid this horse does not have a high enough head set for Country Pleasure IMO. My Western Country Pleasure driver is one of those "tweeners" also but we decided to be a high end Western Pleasure rather than a lost in the crowd Country Pleasure. We swept the ribbons in the Area 6 regionals last year so I would try that if I were you.

Good Luck!!

I pretty much decided that I don't want to make my mini carry her head higher so I'm just going to work on getting it lower. The knee action, I can't do much about. I don't know how to make a horse stop bending it's knees.

I'm also back on the fence as to wheather I am going to show AMHR at all. I found a very active group down here called STRIDE dressage riding and driving club. They have several shows a year and the shows are a lot like Combined driving. Their next one is May 29th and I am thinking about going. I have been praticing the dressage test for a while because I was going to do some CDE's before we decided to move.

Thanks everyone for your input. I can tell from the responses that it is sometimes hard to decide which class to go in and that it takes time to get it right. My mini is only 4 so we have plenty of time. I do need to find someone down here, with experience, that I can take lessons from so we can improve.

Thanks again!
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back