What can I do with him?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniCooper

Reaction score
I have my new little guy...and I want to do something with him!
default_xreiter.gif

I really bought him as a pet and a friend for my little girl. But I thought it might be fun to try showing him, just for fun and something my family can do together. My kids (10,5,2) and my husband all love working with him. He has a fantastic personality, even though he is still a stallion(in his mid teens).

NOTHING fazes him. loud noises, weird looking things. I have been trying to get him to spook, to see how far I can push him.

It's funny...when I let him out of his pasture, he will follow me up the 3 steps and walk across the deck to my front door.And then jump off the deck when he is done staring in the front window. He has come into the house. He will march right across big blue tarps. He went right up my husbands flatbed car trailer on his own. I actually have to really keep an eye on him when I let him out to mow the front lawn! It seems he could really get himself in trouble.

But it also makes me wonder if he did obstacle courses........

I know nothing of his background. The lady I bought him from told me he had been shown years before. I have no idea if he is/was registered. So I assume I would only be able to go to open shows.

Is there any way of finding out if he was registered?

I was also wondering if his confirmation would even be acceptable to show.

Or I am just blinded by love
default_wub.png

I will post some better pics of him when my husband gets home. I just love the pics of my little girl on him. She will be able to ride him until she's 10, I swear (she's tiny). She's almost 3 years old and 25lbs.

rylee_lilbeg..jpg

Of course you can show him!! You just need to find out what his strengths are, and it sounds like it might be performance classes. It always strikes me that no one with a "big" horse EVER asks this question - they just go out and show! Showmanship is something else you might want to try. It is difficult, but not impossible, to find shows for non-registered minis. You could also try combined driving (CDE) - it sounds like he has the temperament for it, and they won't care if he isn't registered. If you can't find shows for minis, then see if you can get some open shows to add classes for minis.

Did he come with any papers? Did the seller give any indication that he was registered? Or were you given a long name for him? Our first miniature was supposedly registered, but I knew something wasn't right when we were give hand written papers for him. It was no big deal because we loved him anyway. He later went on to be the first mini for another family. Still much loved.

How tall and old is he? Where are you located - Are there any mini clubs local to you?

In cases like this, I WOULD recommend WCMHR which will give you some "papers" so you can show in more open shows.

You can HAVE FUN doing halter, obstacle, hunter/jumper and colour classes - it isn't always about winning, but it's great if you do! Maybe driving is in his future?

Good Luck!
default_wub.png

How tall and old is he? Where are you located - Are there any mini clubs local to you?
In cases like this, I WOULD recommend WCMHR which will give you some "papers" so you can show in more open shows.

You can HAVE FUN doing halter, obstacle, hunter/jumper and colour classes - it isn't always about winning, but it's great if you do! Maybe driving is in his future?

Good Luck!
default_wub.png

He is 28" tall. And he looks to be around 15 years old. I am not sure about the local mini clubs around me. He is my first mini...and I've only been hooked for a month now! What is WCMHR??

Did he come with any papers? Did the seller give any indication that he was registered? Or were you given a long name for him? Our first miniature was supposedly registered, but I knew something wasn't right when we were give hand written papers for him. It was no big deal because we loved him anyway. He later went on to be the first mini for another family. Still much loved.
I didn't get any papers with him. I wasn't concerned about that, he is my first mini. She did say his name was something long....something that had "low rider" in it. She told me that the owner before her had show/drove him extensively. But she bought him as a toy for her kids. So if ther was papers....they are long gone. I can get him to set his head and give me "ears" though. So I am thinking he was shown at some point in his life.
default_smile.png

If you can contact the seller about the registered (long name) and get the entire name, we can look up to see if he was ever registered. It's a long shot, but it might work out for you. He can be hardshipped into AMHA, but as a stallion the cost is $1200.00 I believe.

I'd definately look in the name to see if someone can find papers. In the meantime, you sure can show him at open shows without any papers. He sounds like he'd be fun for everyone in the family and that you have an ideal opportunity (getting everyone involved) that many of us would pay to have!!

If you can get the papers on him the breed shows (AMHA & AMHR) would be more likely to let your children show him (age 13 for stallions). Where as many open shows operate under "big" horse rules and the handler of stallions have to be 18.

Your other option would be to geld but it sounds as if he's a bit old for that to make any difference except on paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you could do local open shows that are not AMHA or AMHR like Sandi said. There sometimes are clubs that are local that do a pointed system for each show and placement then at the end of the season there is a highpoint winner. You show against the big horses in a lot of these classes. There is nothing cuter than a 2 year old decked out in their show attire sitting all straight and proud. Oh gosh I get goose bumps when their is one that is just a standout. There are clubs also that help with teaching you the training and the preparation of your horse.

These shows have classes for the children. They can show western or english. The parent leads the child on the horse. I think it is showmanship but those are the cutest classes.

There is also 4H and county fairs that have horse classes.

Good luck and have fun. It sounds like you have a great horse for the whole family to enjoy.

Latest posts

Back