Western or country?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I was watching this video of D from last season (its the only one I have where you can see half decent) and I started wondering if hes better suited for country or western. He hadnt been driven in about two years when the video was taken, so hes out of shape, and hes on a loose check.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching this video of D from last season (its the only one I have where you can see half decent) and I started wondering if hes better suited for country or western. He hadnt been driven in about two years when the video was taken, so hes out of shape, and hes on a loose check.

I would say Country not Western. He is a bit high for western. Just my opinion - that and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

I like him for Country Pleasure, too. IMHO, his head seems to be in the right position for it and he has more knee action than I've seen in Western. It looks like he could hold that ground-eating trot all day - what a joy to watch!

I think he could go either way, but would need fine-tuning to be either. Either a lower head set and more relaxed for western, or pushed up in frame a bit more to be country.

I agree with Disneyhorse, but I also recommend the new driving DVD that AMHA offers. It shows the difference between classic (like western), country and single pleasure driving, using 5 different horses for each type.

Hes shown very successfully in country and roadster. Someone told me they thought he would be lost in the crowd in the current country classes, which is why I wondered. He's actually leaving this weekend for a quick tuneup with Bill Eperthener before we hit a few shows this summer. I think with his tune up, better muscling and conditioning he will hold his country frame. I'll try to keep videos of his progress.

From what I have learned from the Clinic we took from Austin Van Wyck, that horse is more classic than country. The head set can be up to two inches above the withers, which is roughly where he is. If you put him on the bit and made him collect his movement a little more, he would look very much like the classic horses that we watched on the video and in the clinic. For country, according to the video, his head is going to have to come up a lot more, and he will need the extra elevation and reach with his movement. I believe the video we watch with Austin is the one that AMHA sells.

Thanks for the input. Cant wait to hear what Bill thinks of him, Saturday is coming soon, and Im already starting to miss him LOL

Latest posts

Back