Well...It looks like we're gonna have a baby in the spring!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniCooper

Reaction score
I got my little mare, Gypsy, out of a bad situation last July. It took me hours, but I talked the girl who owned her into selling her to me. She was barely able to stand, her feet were so bad. She was skinny and needed alot of TLC. We have been getting her feet back under her and treating a bad case of seedy toe that has been around for a LONG time. She is doing SO much better and her personality is amazing.

I was really hoping she wasn't pregnant, she was in crummy shape and I was really worried about her condition above all else. But she is doing really well now so, I don't feel so bad. We are positive she is in foal (the girl I bought her from had her whole herd with her stud), but we just don't know when to expect it. I did feel the baby this morning...It was so exciting!

I have never had a foal before, so I have no real idea what to do. I have only be into minis for about a year, so they in general are still new to me.

What do I need to do to make sure we have a healthy baby this spring?

I can only guess how far along she is, what would be a good guess?

I will post a pic later today.

I asked the previous owner about her previous births and I was told she has had her foals out in the pasture with the herd the last few years. No complications and all live births. She is 34" and the stud she was with is a really small, refined little boy all of about 29"-30". So I don't think size will be a problem.

I'm sure we will have a beautiful baby...she is a silver bay and the stud she was with is a grulla. I wonder what we will end up with??

Sorry for the babble. I am getting really excited so please bear with me!

DSCF4923-1.jpg

DSCF4913-1.jpg

DSCF4917-1.jpg

DSCF4915-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is exciting news!
default_aktion033.gif

Not meaning to freak you out or anything, but if you can feel the baby, I'm betting she's due a lot sooner than next Spring.
default_yes.gif

HEY NEIGHBOR! SHE LOOKS GOOD AND COULD BE VERY CLOSE. I HAVE NOTICED ON MY MARES WHEN DUE THEIR RECTUM AND VULVA LOOK AS ONE AND THEIR FLANKS ARE VERY MUSHEY AND SOME WHAT POINTED. WHEN ALL IS TOGETHER THEY USUALLY GO WITHIN A FEW DAYS. SOME OF OUR FRIENDS WITH MINIS HAVE NOTICED THE SAME PATTERN. SOMETHING TO GO BY. GOOD LUCK!

You can start feeling the foal kicking at 6 months or so, so you are in line for an early spring foal if this is the first signs of kicking.

I also wanted to add that from the pics I'd say you are doing an awesome job with her. Her coat is full and shiny and she looks to be a very good weight for a pregnant mare.

I put my pregnant mares on a mare and foal feed at about 8 months into their pregnancy.

I wish you good foaling vibes for a healthy little spring foal. You'll have to let us all know when he/she is born.

Your doing a great job. She looks like she is very well taken care of and healthy. Good luck!
default_smile.png

No pre-foaling shots? I hope you are going to have your Vet come out and discuss what she should have at this point? And hopfully let you know about how far along she is. Do you know to have the Vet out within 24 hours of the foal being born too? Theres lots of stuff to learn here about foaling. Best of luck to you and I can't wait to see your baby!! Keep us updated!!

No pre-foaling shots? I hope you are going to have your Vet come out and discuss what she should have at this point? And hopfully let you know about how far along she is. Do you know to have the Vet out within 24 hours of the foal being born too? Theres lots of stuff to learn here about foaling. Best of luck to you and I can't wait to see your baby!! Keep us updated!!

I would ask your vet about your options. NOt all things need to be done just cause one person does them. The shots, everybody will tell you different. Just make yourself aware of benifets and drawbacks before you decide.

Exactly what I said Ashley, or meant. She should have the Vet come out and see what she should have. I guess I should have added, If anything! Yup, everybody does things differently, but you really need to see what your Vet feels is the best thing to do!

Your mare is beautiful!! I LOVE her color!!!!
default_wub.png

She does look as if she may be quite close, but of course, she has had a few foals, so she would get big sooner....even so, it might be worth considering an ultra sound, if you have someone who is good at guessing, that is!!

Well done, BTW, I love to hear this sort of story.

I am very happy to read your story! Congrats on your own little baby coming. There isn't much that is more exciting than that.

If you go to scottcreek.com Joanne has wonderful articles about the foaling process, what to have, problems you may see and how best to get a healthy foal. I have seen her clinics on foaling and she and Larry are awesome people and willing to help anyone with foaling questions. They are good!

default_new_shocked.gif
WOW-she looks wonderful!!! You would never know she was a neglect case looking at her now!!! Great job on bringing her back to good health!!
default_aktion033.gif
She looks about the same as my mare who is due first week of May though my mare was a bit on the heavy side before she was bred unlike yours being thin. Are you thinking on doing the pheumobort shots at 5,7 and 9 months? I have my vet coming on the 16th to start my mares and give her a check up and US at the same time to make sure everything is going along as it should be...I recommend you do the same ASAP as you do not know exactly when she is due! Good luck and happy - healthy foaling vibes!!!!!!!
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back