want to get into showing - how do I decide?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an 9 month old colt and am in the process of buying a new-born filly who may be able to show at a few later shows this year (with mom along for the ride, of course). But, I know absolutely nothing about it!

How do I find out what classes to enter? How do I know what needs to be done for these classes? How do I know what I need to wear, what is acceptable in terms of presentation of the horse, etc.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I would be showing in Ontario, Canada, if that changes anything.

Thanks.

Kerry

:aktion033: :aktion033:

Welcome Kerry -- where in Ontario do you live??

I am also in Ontario -- there are some great shows up here -- how old are you??

Go to the MHCO webstie -- there are club shows -- points if you are a club member-- there will be 3 sanctioned shows here also this summer

the MHCO show in Durham -- July 22nd

the Drayton Fair sanction show - August 12th

The Mount Forest Fair sanction show Sept 4th

as well as many, many fall fairs that also ahve miniature shows-- so go to the MHCO website & check out the calendar there.

Look forward to having you show with us all.

:aktion033: :aktion033:

Welcome Kerry -- where in Ontario do you live??

I am also in Ontario -- there are some great shows up here -- how old are you??

Go to the MHCO webstie -- there are club shows -- points if you are a club member-- there will be 3 sanctioned shows here also this summer

the MHCO show in Durham -- July 22nd

the Drayton Fair sanction show - August 12th

The Mount Forest Fair sanction show Sept 4th

as well as many, many fall fairs that also ahve miniature shows-- so go to the MHCO website & check out the calendar there.

Look forward to having you show with us all.

Hello,

I live about an hour northwest of Toronto. I am 24 years old. I did notice the calendar of shows but I have no experience, don't know what to expect, don't know how to set up/train my babies to show. The filly would obviously show weanling....when does the date change for weanling to yearling? My little colt is a middle of August birth so he'll be a year then - does he show weanling or yearling this year?

Thanks.

Weanling-> Under a Year

Yearling-> A horse that is a Year Old....

So your colt would be in the yealing classes, and your filly in weanling, Clear as mud? Great!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

[SIZE=12pt]Now I have 3 tips for you[/SIZE], (We can talk in person):

1) Go to The Miniature Horse Club of Ontario Website and BECOME a Member, You can do this by e-mailing Eve at [email protected] and filling out the info here: The Form

2) Go to our clinic NEXT WEEKEND, at Old Bell Farm, There will be GREAT tips for newbies, the it is VERY helpful!

3) Go to the Aurora Fair, and WATCH every class, talk to showers, breeders, me( :bgrin
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) And watch what the horses & trainers DO in the different classes.

I'll be at the clinic and show, and I WILL talk to you, and help out. You are lucky, you have one of the best clubs and some great people, and you found one of the best fourm in the world too :aktion033: Welcome!

-Desiree

Midnight Star Stables

ps. What town are you in, I'm in Sutton, and there are shows near Orangeville & Collingwood.

Also wanted to add, that I would be willing to do two things:

1) Go to your house/farm to help you and your minis train abit, and to socilize.

2) You are welcome to my farm to see my minis, and I can show you them in halter, jumping, driving, obstical... the whole 9 yards
default_rolleyes.gif
: I can show you what to wear at a show, how to act and 'set up' and 'bait'. I can show you how to groom, and clip, and do make up, if you would like. Also, everyone who comes to my place gets a trick show....
default_wink.png
:

liemidnight.jpg

and

Midnightstricks015.jpg

-Desiree

Midnight Star Stables

Also wanted to add, that I would be willing to do two things:

1) Go to your house/farm to help you and your minis train abit, and to socilize.

2) You are welcome to my farm to see my minis, and I can show you them in halter, jumping, driving, obstical... the whole 9 yards
default_rolleyes.gif
: I can show you what to wear at a show, how to act and 'set up' and 'bait'. I can show you how to groom, and clip, and do make up, if you would like. Also, everyone who comes to my place gets a trick show....
default_wink.png
:

liemidnight.jpg

and

Midnightstricks015.jpg

-Desiree

Midnight Star Stables

That would be awesome! I looked on the breeders page of mhco and it said you were in Exeter, I believe. Where is that?

How much do you charge to come to the farm my mini is at? (you can pm me, if you like)

I looked on the breeders page of mhco and it said you were in Exeter, I believe. Where is that?
Nope, not me. I am in Sutton, 1 hour North of Toronto. I'm near Keswick and pefferlaw. A half an hour north of New Market. Barrie is just on the other side of the Lake, Lake Simco(sp). :saludando: Maybe 45i-sh minutes from you?

How much do you charge to come to the farm my mini is at? (you can pm me, if you like)
:lol: No, no, I mean as a road trip, My dad and I jump in the car and drive to your house and we'll spend the day together. We'll talk about every thing mini, and I'll help train you and your boy as a friend
default_smile.png
No Charge. Most mini people are great that way
default_wub.png
: :aktion033:

-Desiree

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerry,

That is awesome that you have someone like Desiree so close to help...... Learn as much as you can.

Desiree has some good advice about joining the club and attending the clinic and the show. Try to get to some shows and just watch and ask questions before jumping in with your horses.

The most important thing will be having fun!

MA

Hi Kerry,

Welcome to the forum. :saludando:

I am also in Ontario, Fergus to be exact, and will be going to the clinic at Old Bell Farm.

Desiree's advice to join the MHCO is excellent.
default_yes.gif
:

It is a very good club and has many members that will be very helpful to you.

Hope to see you on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back