Vaccines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaddleTrail

Reaction score
I have no idea if ShotGun has had any vaccines and since I cant get him to the vet <no trailer as yet> I want to give them to him my self.

I just need to know which ones? What location for each, such as neck or rump etc.

I want him to have the Tetanus and West Nile ?

But not sure of the others he needs.

He is 12 years old and weighs 220.

Any help would be wonderful thank you!!

I have given shots before for my friends so I know how.

At minimum, most people give Tetanus, Rhino, and EWE. Then West Nile Virus.

If your horses haven't been vaccinated before, you will need to give a booster shot afterwards.

Then, depending on where you live and the time of year, additional vaccines may be recommended.

Even if you can't get your horses to the vet, I'd call your vet to find out what they recommend.

Andrea

[SIZE=12pt]We do VEWT Rhino/Flu and Strep.... I don't do West Nile any longer unless it's one that I've sold.[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]I give all of mine in the rump.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
It can't hurt to give him a booster 3-4 weeks after the initial vaccination. I do either a 4-way (tetanus, flu, EEE, and WEE) or a 5-way (those listed +Rhino). If you're in an area with lots of wild animals (bats, skunks, coons, etc.) you should also vaccinate for rabies.

we give our own shots because our local vet is an hour away, what we do is go to them and they get all the shots ready and give us any extras if we need boosters for the ones that have never been giuven a vaccine before, we don't do west nile either, ( be prepared if you choose nnot to do west nile , our vets question our decision and frowned)

We give E/W/T and WNV, and I give all vaccines in the neck;..well, "all" amounts to 1 or 2 per horse, depending which brand of vaccine we use. Normally we give the FD combo shot so it's just one needle; this year we used the Merial WNV so it was separate from the E/W/T shot.

We generally don't vaccinate for flu/rhio--the exception is new horses coming in--if we've had some bug go through our herd recently we'll give them one flu/rhino vaccine a couple weeks before they arrive here, just to give them some immunity until they get settled in. This practice has worked very well for us.

We sometimes give the rabies vaccine, sometimes not, depends on the year. Vet has to come out to give rabies shots, and vets here have always given those in the neck too.

Thank you all so much for the help!

He is my only horse and we only have one goat left. There are so many dogs surrounding my property I doubt if any of the wild animals could get them. So not to worried about rabies.

So the 3 way and west nile should do him just fine. I can give those. He is a former rescue and have no idea what he has had etc. Although he does have a very old injury scar that runs down from his hock to his hoof, so I will assume he has had some vaccines such as tetnus?

I will just start him new and pretend he hasn't had anything. He is in exccellant health. Maybe a tad chubby hehehe.
100_3234-1.jpg

100_3229.jpg

He is my baby!! His mane was so long, then one morning I went out and his mane looked like someone chopped it. Come to find out it was my dogs chasing him. I just got a electric training collar.

They wont be chasing him again when I get through!!

DEFINITELY consult with your vet for what's needed in YOUR area.

For us, in the Pacific Northwest, we give a FIVE-WAY.......This includes Tetanus, (2)Flu, Rhino, Sleeping Sickness......

There are other "sleeping sicknesses" needed if you live in southern states. Rabies is also necessary in different regions and your vet can tell you. (Our vets here in Central Oregon tell us it's not necessary.)

If you don't know your horse's vaccination history, we've taken the extra precaution of starting from scratch and giving a new horse a booster after 3 weeks. It really doesn't hurt a thing and gives you that extra bit of assurance.

Oh, and we USUALLY give vaccines in the butt muscle. Occasionally we have someone who is being a ditz, so as "she" (it's tends to be a she for some reason
default_rolleyes.gif
) is tucking and expecting the rear shot, she gets one in the neck........ You'd think I would be able to "communicate" to them about shots, but since I hate them too, I'm not very good about reassurance.
default_biggrin.png

Thank you! I am in Redding Ca, and was raised in Oregon!!

I am going to find a vet to talk to and go from there. I just can't afford to buy a trailer and they don't come out to you here for some reason.

Ive given the shots before but they have always been set up before so Ive given both bottom and neck so thats not a problem for me.Thank you for all your help!

I just want to point out that rabies is a good vaccine to give regardless of having dogs around that would scare off wild animals. Rabbits, for example, are quick little critters, they can easily out manuever a dog, add that in with a miniature horses natural curious disposition, is it worth skipping a vaccine that costs $2-3 to give?

Even an entire vial of the rabies vaccine only costs about $12 and contains 5 horse doses.

Your right, he needs to have them as well ~S~ What ever he needs he will get. I cant afford to buy a horse trailer and they do not rent them out here.

So I have been looking for a super cheap 10 to 12 foot travel trailer that I can convert into a trailer for him. Then I can take him any where I go, like camping etc.

Latest posts

Back