Va and WV Miniature horse owners, some questions.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniAddict21

Reaction score
I want to start showing my grade mini's in some fun shows, just to get some experience. Does anyone know of any in Va? Even some parts of WV might not be to bad either. Also I am new to showing miniatures. Not new to ownership or equines in general just the showing part =) so any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated because I don't know much haha. One of mine is broke to drive and my niece rides him. The other is broke to ride and drive as well (she is a larger mini). I mainly just want to get the kids involved in something but I want to be able to do some showing as well but have no idea where to begin. Please keep in mind this is only for fun. I'm not even sure what all type of classes are available for miniatures. I know there are driving, and halter, read about in hand trail classes as well but not sure farther then that.

So really just any information you could give me on showing mini's would be great =)

I want to start showing my grade mini's in some fun shows, just to get some experience. Does anyone know of any in Va? Even some parts of WV might not be to bad either. Also I am new to showing miniatures. Not new to ownership or equines in general just the showing part =) so any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated because I don't know much haha. One of mine is broke to drive and my niece rides him. The other is broke to ride and drive as well (she is a larger mini). I mainly just want to get the kids involved in something but I want to be able to do some showing as well but have no idea where to begin. Please keep in mind this is only for fun. I'm not even sure what all type of classes are available for miniatures. I know there are driving, and halter, read about in hand trail classes as well but not sure farther then that.
So really just any information you could give me on showing mini's would be great =)
How far would it take you to get to Thurmont, Maryland?

Our club shows 5 times a year (plus a fuzzy clinic) in Thurmont. 4 hours is a long way to go though. I drive two hours myself. It's a small club that uses AMHR rules although it's not AMHR sanctioned (i.e., you can't earn AMHR points). Our shows do qualify for the Pinto Horse of America Association points.

The shows are small and friendly. Lots of great people and horses but down-to-earth with a really friendly and welcoming environment.

If you'd like more information, just let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I would love to get some more information
default_smile.png

MiniAddict21: I sent you a PM about the club and information the shows.

What part of Virginia are you in ? Here are a few clubs that I know about-- If you would like any more information just PM me. All of these clubs have a site that you can google to find.

-Virginia Miniature Horse Club

-Old Dominion Miniature Horse Club

-Varina Rising Stars (4-H, but they do have classes for minis and adults)

-East Coast Miniature Horse Club (shows are usually in NC, but have been in VA in the past)

-West Virginia Miniature Horse Club (mentioned on AMHA site)

I would definitely recommend ECMHC. They have an Easter Show coming up this April & a fall show in October. Everyone is super friendly and your horse doesn't need to be registered.

If you are close to Williamston, NC (they are not too far over the border), check out the ECOSC Open Horse Show Circuit. They usually have classes just for minis including halter, driving, & in hand halter. Be sure to sign up for their end of the year awards too. I used to show my big horse there and the awards were very impressive.

Another option is the WCMHR. I would not normally recommend to use them as a registry, but consider them if you want to go to their shows. You can look at some of the past comments on the forum about their registration. I am only recommending them since you live where they hold their shows. Even if you are a beginner, don't be intimidated from attending their "World" show in the fall. It is fairly low-key, they usually have great awards and last time I attended they placed through 10th (nice for the kids!).

Also, the State Fairs are a lot of fun! It has been several years since I attended the State Fair, but I remember that one of them required your horse to be registered. However, at the time they accepted WCMHR, which is simple to register with (again, only register if you plan on using it for a show). The rules may have changed since I attended last.

Have fun showing!!!

horselover161 said:
1326491327[/url]' post='1440063']I would definitely recommend ECMHC. They have an Easter Show coming up this April & a fall show in October. Everyone is super friendly and your horse doesn't need to be registered.

If you are close to Williamston, NC (they are not too far over the border), check out the ECOSC Open Horse Show Circuit. They usually have classes just for minis including halter, driving, & in hand halter. Be sure to sign up for their end of the year awards too. I used to show my big horse there and the awards were very impressive.

Another option is the WCMHR. I would not normally recommend to use them as a registry, but consider them if you want to go to their shows. You can look at some of the past comments on the forum about their registration. I am only recommending them since you live where they hold their shows. Even if you are a beginner, don't be intimidated from attending their "World" show in the fall. It is fairly low-key, they usually have great awards and last time I attended they placed through 10th (nice for the kids!).

Also, the State Fairs are a lot of fun! It has been several years since I attended the State Fair, but I remember that one of them required your horse to be registered. However, at the time they accepted WCMHR, which is simple to register with (again, only register if you plan on using it for a show). The rules may have changed since I attended last.

Have fun showing!!!

Just a clarifiication horses must be registered for the spring fling and summer/ performance show, but the Easter and Halloween shows are open to everyone.

Back