turnout 24/7 vs. indoor stall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy Porter

Reaction score
A little background: I board my mini and my OTTB at a friend's house. Both have indoor box stalls for night and inclement weather, and individual turnouts for daytime. The mini has always been turned out with another mini, until she was sold. I don't want him out in a dry lot with the TB, and all the other horses there are also full size. They can have contact over the fence, but if they go behind the arena, my little guy is virtually alone. I have been considering another mini for company, but the cost of full board is prohibitive, and they would have to share a stall(no available stalls). My friend and I have been discussing turnout 24/7, building a run-in shed for the minis. They would be in a 70X70 dry lot, (we would be reinforcing the board fence with sheep or hog panels to deter predators) which has the barn as one side. The turnout is in full view of the house (I worry about stray dogs, although we have not had any in all the years I have been there.) We feed hay and Strategy year round, as I do drive my little guy. I think this would be a better lifestyle; he would have a buddy again, and I like the more "natural" idea of being outside all the time. Here is the problem: my non-horsey husband has only seen horses in the stall/turnout situation. He thinks that turnout 24/7 is neglect, and "taking the easy way out" because there is no daily stall cleaning. We live just south of Chicago, so the winters can get a little chilly (VBG). What do all you knowledgable mini people think??

Neglect? Sorry I don't agree.

Most of my horses come and go as they please and they are very happy. All have shelter they can get into if needed. I do bring them in for grain and as soon as they are done they are banging at the door to be let out. I have a couple I know would get very ticked off if they had to go in a stall at night.

A horses NATURAL environment is outside NOT in a stall. We want to treat them as if they are dogs/cats, fellow humans even. I'm not saying some horses don't benefit from being stalled but I prefer mine to be outside enjoying themselves.

Have you husband talk to your vet about the horses staying out 24/7. Maybe that'll help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am NEGLECTING 14 horses then, LOL All of mine are on pasture with access to stalls or run ins, even my goats are pastured and they are the ones who use the shelters most they HATE to get wet.

My horses would tear the place apart if I tried shutting them in,

And its still work, I swear half my horses walk into the shelter to pooh then immediately leave. lol

I think the idea you have is WAY BETTER and kinder than a stall.

I believe stalling verges on abuse more than freedom.

Picture a human being forced to live half there life in there bathroom ya would'nt like it

We only stall if there is a need to -- like a mare and new foal generally get stalled or a sick horse will get stalled but the rest of the time all of ours have free roam of their pens -- they can go back in the shed when they want to and can go out in the pen when they want to -- I personally think that the horses perfer to be outside wondering around because they have more they can do and room to play and run versus being cooped up..

And trust me you still have to clean the poop even if they are turned out or you will get overran with it in a short time.

Good Luck!

I agree with the other postings

In the wild horses cover alot of ground, this is natural for them. Plus I think it is good for their digestion and frame of mind. I let my guys out in the pasture (my large backyard) for the whole day and close them up at night. Their overnight stalls are 8' by 20' which are totally enclosed with wood and wire and they have 30' long paddocks off the stalls, but my one guy, Reno, he will pace even in the paddock. So I've decided to sacrifice the backyard and let them have as much access to it as possible.
default_smile.png

All of our "non" show horses are outside....they have shelter to go in if they choose but most of the time they want to stand outside. They actually prefer winter over summer, and our winters here in Minnesota get cold.

Shame on ME!!! What a neglectful owner I am too, as mine run out year round. I do not stall unless I MUST, and really dont like doing it. Mine all have shade roofs up, but other than that are free to run and play and do as they please in a large turnout. They love it and are quite happy.

Horses are moving, grazing animals and are not meant to live in a stall- that was a human's idea of comfort and convenience. I think your idea is WONDERFUL and how happy your horses would be!! And the joy of being able to enjoy them more!

GO FOR IT
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

mine including my big horses are on a run-in type situation. I CAN lock them in and will if the weather is REALLY REALLY bad otherwise they are out 24/7 and yes there is still work involved they still seem to love to pooh in the barn. i would make my run in as someone else suggested so you can shut your little dude in if you really need to however mini's really don't need to be in all the time!

I do blanket mine because here in maine we get some very nasty weather and it makes ME feel better knowing they have that extra waterproof windproof layer if a storm sneaks in at night but i also don't blanket until it's well below freezing (really dont' think they NEED it but it makes me admittedly feel better knowing it's there). I've had very good luck with this method. there is nothing wrong with having a run-in situation. i bet your pony will like it better. mine do not chew or have as bad habits when on turnout as they do when they are in ..why make problems when the answer is simple..let them come and go as they please!

Horses LIKE being outside......tell your hubby that.

If the horses are in full natural coat, a 3-sided shed is just fine and gives THEM the option of shelter or not.

MA

Horses are outdoor creatures and generally healthier when not stalled. Wish I had that option! Sounds like you have a good plan.

Charlotte

Well, if being outside with a run in shelter 24/7 is neglect, then all our horses are seriously neglected...and seem to be happy with it! Some are on dry lot, others on pastures, and all have access to sheds. Unless someone is sick or injured we don't shut them in the barn. Even in bad weather it's their option if they want to be in or out. We do make sure that every horse is able to get into the shed when/if it wants to--if one horse is being a bully & keeping another horse from using the shed, we move them around so that no one has to stand outside if they don't want to.

These days many of the horses aren't using their sheds--we're having a very nice fall here--& many nights the horses come in from pasture & stand behind the barn or beside their sheds (or even lay down & sleep in those areas--some mornings I find them bedded down out in the pastures, stretched flat out, sound asleep)--they just aren't interested in being inside the sheds.

Sheds here are all bedded with straw, and I clean them daily--pitching out the poop & wet straw & adding fresh straw as needed--it's all the comforts of a stall in the barn without the confinement.

Tell your hubby that if being left outside 24/7 with run in sheds for shelter was the worst neglect a horse ever had to suffer....life would be pretty darned good!

Neglectful and proud of it!
default_aktion033.gif
LOL

Horses' natural winter coats are wonderfully waterproof and insulating and the horse is designed to be comfortable in lower temperatures than we are. Most of them LOVE the fall and winter weather and would much rather be standing out in the snow then roasting in the sun. And they're not dumb- if the footing gets too bad or the rain too wet they will go stand in the shed until things improve.

It's sweet that your hubby is worried, but tell him to let you try it for a month and see if the horses look happy. I guarantee you they'll convince him! A simple lean-to or roofed area might not be enough but a three-sided shed is very snug as long as it's built against the wind.

Leia

My colt is permanently out with 2 other minis (both studs) and he's thriving... He was stalled before and looked pot bellied and wormy. He definitely was NOT happy in a stall. I fully support the 24/7 turn out idea!

Long time neglector of the horses here!!

My horses are all out 24/7 on good grass, free to roam and until last week no shelters at all, just a hedgeline.

THEY may try to tell your hubby they are neglected but I can assure you my aching body and my bank balance tells another story
default_biggrin.png

I agree with your idea and your thinking about the turnout being healthier. ALL my horses are out 24/7. Some are stalled at meal time and the night before a show. Other than that, they are outside or in their stalls/sheds as they choose. That is how I have always kept horses and I have only once had a snotty nose here. That contrasts to horses' at my former trainers who did frequently get snotty nose even pnuemonia when stalled 1/2 the time. It is MUCH healthier, emotionally and physically, for horses to be outside as they choose with shelter available when they want it. I'd vote that route even if your horse wasn't going to be able to have a buddy that way. That there will be another mini companion is the (thick) icing on the cake!

Think about it this way: would you want to be closed in a small room 1/2 the day with nothing to entertain your mind, or would you like the door to be left open? It's the same with horses!!!

I wish I had the option of leaving them out 24/7 but we have a big predator problem here with the coyotes. My husband had to shoot 2 of them last week
default_no.gif
We had no option as in broad daylight they were hanging around the paddocks. Mine are all out all day with shelters but we bring them into the barn at night, so they are protected from the coyotes.

Yvonne

I guess I am neglecting my 16 miniatures and my 2 arabians as all are outside 24/7 but have access to shelter. Though in winter I do put the minis in the barn at night. One of my arabians refuses to go in the barn in the winter so she stays outside with her buddy.
default_yes.gif

Almost all mine are outside all winter and summer, I do bring them in when its close to foaling time or if there is some other reason they need close monitoring...but...I used to keep them all in stalls till my VET advised me to let them out...I too thought it was a 'cruel' thing to do till after a couple years and no health worries and nice full coats, good appetites and just "happy" horses!!!
default_yes.gif

Tsk tsk we are #1 in being cruel to our minis by keeping them out 24/7 all year with only run in shelters if they care to use them which isn't often as they tend to huddle beside them rather then be in unless it's real windy then you'd think no horses lived here..

We LOVE neglect around here!!
default_rolleyes.gif

Every horse is out this time of year, with the exception of older ones or special needs ones come into the barn at night. During the show season the show horses are stalled a lot more than I wish they were, but that's how it works around here. Mommas and new babies are stalled at night, but that's about it.

They all have the option of shelter, but they seem to prefer to be outside.

Latest posts

Back